1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Bob Feller dead

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Bisi, Dec 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

I see in the news where baseball hall of famer and Cleveland Indian Bob Feller died yesterday. In his obit it said he joined the Navy 12/8/41 the day after the attack on Pearl Harbor. He was the first of many major leaguers to do that, can't see that happening today. He was a gunner on the USS Alabama.

I heard on the news a few months ago, that less than 10% of the men and women whom served in WWII are still living.

They left us a legacy that we are just ****ing away.

2. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I've been to his museum in Van Meter, Iowa. A nice place to visit.

On one of the Des Moines TV stations one of the reporters had a story on Bob
    Feller. In one of the four interviews he had done with Bob he ask him what was the most memorable moment in his life. Bob's answer was the day he was sworn in to the Navy. The reporter also stated that in all four interviews Feller would want to talk about his days in the service more than his baseball career.

Your right about the players today, most of them would criticize before they served.

The men and women of WW2 era were known as the "Greatest Generation" for a reason. Not only they endured the war but look at how many endured the Great Depression just a decade before.

3. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

My wife & I had the pleasure & privelege of meeting Bob in NJ, he signed my wife's baseball glove. He was an icon of sports & patriotism. Its a crying shame he played in an era where the players never got the financial recognition that modern players get. And most of these so called superstars of today would have been minor leaguers if there were still 16 nmajor league teams. Just think about it, 45% of all major league players would be in the minors if there were still 16 major league teams.

4. Gregor

Gregor Member

635G,

My friend's Dad says the same thing about Baseball and Football, he is in his late 70's. He said that there are too many teams and the talent has been severely diluted as compared to his youth.

My brother was in Florida several years ago for Bike Week with a mutual friend that had just gotten back from Iraq, who is a Lt. Col. in the US Army. They attended several Spring Training games of the Cleveland Indians in Winterhaven. My brother was wearing his Bob Feller Indians baseball shirt one day when several older men teased him about it. They told him that Bob would get a kick out of it and to go out to the parking lot and see him. Sitting in a Buick was indeed Bob Feller, who was surprised that a "young fellow" would wear his shirt. He autographed a baseball for my brother and stood for some pictures. He was very appreciative of the Col's. service in Iraq and was very gracious with his time.

One of, if not THE Best right handed pitchers to ever play baseball.

God Bless and Rest in Peace, Mr. Feller.

5. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I don't know if this is still true, but at one time Bob Feller was the youngest person to play in the majors. I think he was 17 years old.

6. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Another great Bob Feller story, in the 1930's lighting in the ball parks wasn't that good. Leo Durocher lights a candle & puts in on home plate,
    The ump say" need a little help seeing Feller tonight?" Leo says, "Hell no--wanna make sure he sees me so I don't get killed !!"

Phil Berkowitz

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

High leg kick, super fastball and a great pitcher. I enjoyed reading about the attempts to measure the speed of his fastball by using a motorcycle speeding toward the plate to the side of his pitch.

Pat Ireland

8. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

shot410ga........Yes its true, they drafted him at 17 right out of high school. Can you imagine in those days how good he really was, 17 and in high school in Iowa and the recruiters still heard of his ability and then recruited him to boot.

9. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

In the summer of 68 while a student at Eastern Illinois University I was leaving the union from a lunch break and Mr Feller was standing alone in the lobby. I approached him and introduced myslef as a fan and he was shocked that anyone my age would know who he was. I told him that he was my fathers hero because of his pitching ability and that is how I knew who he was since he was out of baseball and almost fifty years old at the time. He then said "your dads' hero huh?" and I asked him if he had a couple minutes to spare and he said he did. There was a pay phone on the wall and I called home got my dad on the phone and had Mr Feller to speak to him for a couple minutes. I got back on the phone and told Dad I had to go to class and Mr Feller thanked me for being a good kid for doing that for my Dad. He was a big man and looked to me like he would have been very intimidating on the mound. I really can't imagine facing him with that fastball of his on a hot summer afternoon with the sweat running down your forehead and getting in your eyes. Oh yeah he also said he was at Charleston on business and was waiting on some guys for a meeting. That's the only time I ever was that close to a major sports star of his capacity and got to talk to them one on one. Rest in peace big guy. Dan

10. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

I always thought he was quite a good feller too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.