1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Bob Barker donates $1 million to PA pigeons

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Joe Potosky, Jan 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Bob Barker donates $1 million to Pennsylvania pigeons

Bob Barker, former game show host and animal philanthropist, has donated $1 million to stop pigeon shoots in Pennsylvania.

The $1 million donation was given to SHARK, an Illinois based animal advocacy organization that has filmed pigeon shoots at the Philadelphia Gun Club in Bensalem, Bucks County.

Barker not only is donating money for Pennsylvania's pigeons but he has committed to join protestors at the infamous Gun Club in Bensalem during the planned demonstrations.

“The very characteristics of a live pigeon shoot are such that the event cannot be held without causing extensive animal suffering,” said Barker. “Live bird shoots are held under the guise of ‘sport’ target practice but they offer neither sport nor hunting.”

Pennsylvania is the only state to openly hold pigeon shoots. Legislation is pending in Pennsylvania that would ban shoots in which captive birds are tethered or launched in front of the shooter. The bills specifically say they cannot be used to restrict traditional hunting regulated by the Pennsylvania Game Commission.

A pro-hunting website called HuntingPA.com has some predictable comments to a post of the news about Bob Barker donating $1 million to stop Pennsylvania pigeon shoots.

Apparently the age old division among animal advocates and hunters is alive as evidenced by Dave T's comment: "The real issue isn't the 'saving' of the pigeon. It's the inroad of the animal rights activist into all area's of shooting\killing of animals. IE: Hunting. You see, the basic premise is that "animals" have rights. Yeah....and the next thing they will do is pay taxes and vote? Animals are property. Just like chairs, cars and the like. What are we gonna do next? Give ants rights too? Dave"

Many hunters deny that the living creatures they hunt and kill are sentient beings, preferring to consider them property "like chairs, cars and the like." If you destroy an inanimate object like a car or a chair that object does not feel pain or suffering. Pigeons do.

If you agree with Bob Barker that live pigeon shoots should be outlawed please contact your legislator and ask them to vote for these bills. By clicking here you can look up federal and state legislators by zip code. Phone numbers and email contact pages are provided. You may even want to bookmark the site for future reference…

http://www.examiner.com/x-1513-Philadelphia-Animal-Advocate-Examiner~y2010m1d29-Bob-Barker-donates-1-million-to-Pennsylvania-pigeons

2. roger8918

roger8918 Member

Bob needs to keep that money so he can pay off his bimbos! yea he's a class act.

3. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

That Pa. bill was introduced last summer, and it went nowhere. A few months ago Bensalem township hired a company to get rid of pigeons that were crapping all over the sidewalk of an overpass. The crap was so bad that people walking on the overpass would wander on the street of one of the busiest roads in the area to avoid walking in crap. This overpass is about 7 miles from the Phila. gun club. When the township found out the company was poisoning them they made them stop. Seems the pigeons more important then people getting injured.

4. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Where's Happy Gilmore when you need him?

5. EE

EE Banned User Banned

Didn't take Barker long to turn his attention away from the whales to something a little closer to home, did it? What's next?

But the possum sheriff will be along shortly to tell us how these pigeons need to be protected.

EE

6. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

7. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

Thank God for the PAFlyers. Check out their website. Lots of states have pigeon shoots, not just PA

8. crusha

crusha TS Member

Ok, ok, ok...now where are they?

You know who I'm talking about: the hand-wringing Aunt Pollies that we always have, who hurry in and tell us that things like Pigeon shoots "bring a bad image" upon the shooting sports in general, and that we have to outlaw this so that we can continue trapshooting...you know, those guys?

Hmph...I guess they're all off watching Animal Planet. Aw Crikey!

9. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Dang...a million bucks would buy alot of pigeons...what a waste.

Curt

10. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I was sort of hoping he would band each bird with a different denomination bill...that way it would be surprise to shoot one to see how much money you won....C'mon $100 dollar pidggy

11. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

I lived in Philly and shot pigeons. Too much political correctness! A policeman was shot & killed over 10 yr.s ago and a couple of Holliwooders defended the admitted minority shooter, they claim he is a political prisoner. Years ago, some religious zealot said God was going to have an earthquake break California off of the coast and sink it into the ocean. Please make sure ALL the nuts are home first.

12. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

So is there any organized group to fight SHARK/ Is the NRA involved?

13. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Ole' Bob wasn't a farm boy, was he.

14. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Nic "Bimbos"

15. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<I>"Ok, ok, ok...now where are they? \"</I>

Oh, we're still here, buzzy. I'm just getting a chuckle out of watching you guys all circling the wagons and complaining to each other on this forum. I assume you're already vented to Bob Barker. You're almost as much fun to read as The Chosen One was to watch trying to defend himself to the GOP.

MK

16. crusha

crusha TS Member

Ok, there's one bunched up set of panties.

Any others?

17. GW22

GW22 Active Member

I'm not real keen on using living creatures for targets, but I think it's important to acknowledge the hilariousness CalvinMD's comment.

-Gary

18. EE

EE Banned User Banned

They're out there, buzz. They'll show up here to defend ol' Bob. Won't be long now.

Surely a pigeon is as precious to them as a whale or a saber-tooth wharf rat...

EE

19. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Lets look at somethings here. PA is BIG in to hunting. The first day of deer season the towns are 90% shut down and everyone is out deer hunting. Pheasant hunting is also big. Then there is fishing. In other words there is alot of money coming in to PA from hunting. Lic, hotels, gas and so on. As for the flying rat shoots, I will bet there are a good number of politicians who are either shooting and or betting on the sport. This is a rich mans sport and you can't tell me that the rich are not on the phone with their friend the politician. If this bill or any bill like it passes it will be a threat to PA income from hunting. They do not want that. Bob Barker has more money then common sence.

As for the shoots, make sure they have some dates of places and times for them. Have some people there to make it look good and in other words you have nothing going on and the anti's are there for nothing. You just wasted their time and money.

20. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<center><I>THEY DON'T GET MAD; THEY GET EVEN!</i>
    [​IMG]
    </center>

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.