1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Boat Question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by pharmvet, Dec 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pharmvet

pharmvet Member

OK, here we go. I have always had a hankering for a nice fishing boat but have never owned one. I now have 3 kids and feel that we could really have some fun with a boat. I have been looking for a while and figured winter time, just before X-mas might be a good time to pick up a used boat. I found the following boat (TEXAR repo) for sale the other day. What do you guys feel its worth. What would be a good deal, and what would be a "can't pass it up deal"? Ill describe it, and you tell me what you think, then Ill tell you what they have it priced at. Assume that its in great condition, and that the motor works like it should. I have the option of having it checked out should I choose, before I buy. I have always thought that boats have poor resale, so I dont want to get skinned and loose on the deal.

2002 Tracker Avalanche
    150 hp Mercury XRS
    Trolling motor
    fish finders and depth finders
    CD player.
    Trailer

Please give me your opinions.

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    PAGING TRON. MR. TRON TO THE WHITE COURTESY PHONE.

3. Inspector 12

Inspector 12 TS Member

As suggested, check out some boat sites to get a relative value. Also, having worked in the boat industry several years ago, spend a few bucks and have the boat appraised by a reputable marina. Doing so may save you some grief in the long run. I have seen some pretty creative "cover up" work back when I used to do appraisals.

4. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

first, just let me tell you a boat is like a car, only good for a dozen or more years or X # of thousand miles or in a boat hours on the motor(then new motor). Also like a car there are alot of different models and sizes to choose from. Before looking for a great deal ask yourself what I need in a boat. Size for the kids growing up. Do you want a bathroom? What is the body of water like I want to use my new boat in.How will I store the boat,slip, trailer. If trailer is truck big enough. A large body of water can make waves up to or over 5 feet in a hurry if bad weather come up fast.Do You want to cook,fish,swim,dive,sleep,have lots of seats for big family. Go to a boat dealer in your area and let him help you out of some of these questions and a few I am sure I missed that might be important to you. Only when you find out what kind of boat will fit your needs can you shop for one and get a good price.You will not be happy with one that does not meet your needs no matter how nice or good a deal it is. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

5. Texas Crew'd

Texas Crew'd Member

Hello Pharm,

I have had bass boats,fish and skis, bowriders and cruisers over the years. I'll take a 15 y/o boat that's been taken care of over a 2 year old boat that's been dogged from day 1. What water will you be running in? If your looking at a smaller fresh water lake or river this may suit your needs, however, with 3 kids anything under 18' gets small fast. There are many variables in your question on value. Trolling motor size, 12/24/36 volt, good batteries? engine hours? service record? Depthfinder type, manufacturer? stainless prop? spare prop? jackets and safety items included? Has the boat been stored covered or sitting out in the rain, slipped? Is this your first boat? If so plan on taking a safety/handling course. A survey will definatly assist you with a negotiation and give you an idea of the life it's lead. Select a surveyor not connected in any fashion to the seller.What is your towing capacity on your vehicle? This is a good time of year to save some money on purchasing. Keep in mind the floods in Texas this year if buying in Texas.

Some items to consider to, with kids come their friends, when the fish aren't biting they'll want to be tubing or skiing. personally I love the Rangers, I had an 18' F&S with a 175 merc that was a blast.

When estimating your annual budget for your boat figuer it all down on paper then double your budget.

A few places that I like to browse are iboats.com, Boat US, and boattraderonline. Also remember twofootitus is a water bourne disease, definatly include the Mrs. when boat shopping.

One day I'll have that Chris Roamer 360 with twin screws. I just need the right 6 numbers 1 time.

Garry

6. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

If you truly want to get crazy....

Buy a 25-1/2' Grady White Ocean Pro with twin 200's, add all the electronics, etc....and don't forget all the Penn fishing gear....

Sure makes trapshooting look cheap!

Curt - Delaware

7. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Just remember, "Boats are holes in the water, you pour money into." Kind of like shoot'in money down the barrel of a trap gun. Except, at about 20 times the rate. Been there, done that, buy some cane poles and fish off the bank, you'll bond better with your kids.

8. XT Bill

XT Bill TS Member

You know what Boat stands for, right ?

Break
    Out
    Another
    Thousand

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.