1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Boar Hog KIlled with One of Steve W.'s Model 70's.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by rick979, Oct 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rick979

rick979 Active Member

Boar Hog KIlled with One of Steve W.

Bought a nice pre-64 Model 70 in 30.06 from Steve W. a couple of weeks ago. I bought it to kill the wild hogs on my ranch. So far I have fired 13 shots and killed 12 of them stone dead in their tracks. I had to get the help of my cousin and nephew to get him in the back of the truck. He tipped the scales @254# and will make some good food for my 4 hunting dogs. Rick~~~~Texas

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I give. Which hog?

ss

3. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Nice. What bullet are you using?

4. H82MIS

H82MIS TS Member

ss,,that was cold,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

5. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Dogfood????...make some wild bacon

6. bill2

bill2 Member

Congratulations Rick! Those Ole Winchesters are workhorses and the price always goes up on them. I would guess those dogs are pretty porky themselves after 12 hogs. V/R Bill2

7. rick979

rick979 Active Member

Bigdogtx: I used a 150 grain Remington core-lokt PSP in 30.06 Springfield. I think the "shock" killed him as I hit him in the lower jaw @ about 90 yards and he dropped like a stone. Then I waited about 10 minutes before approaching him as I sure didn't want him to decide he wasn't quite dead. I will be down at the creek tommorrow night to see if I can find another one.

8. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Hey! What about your "buds" that like to hunt?

And cannot you slow roast one of them things and have it be a "pig". I've eaten wild boar in the past nad it seemed like pulled pork.

9. rick979

rick979 Active Member

Hey Jack. Surely you are invited. Come on down to Texas and we will lower my wild pig population a bit. I left the boar in the back of my truck last nite and may use a come-a-long to winch him up on a tree branch and remove the backstraps, ribs and a few select cuts for me. The rest I will cook up for my dogs. I plan on being in the same creek bottom/meadow late today. I saw a group of about 7-8 a couple of days ago and hope to run into them again. I don't shoot in the middle of the night when they are most active but right at dusk seems to be good also. I've got a lot of deer here also but I only shoot them with my camera. Your buddy, Rick~~~~Texas

10. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Whereabouts in TX are you Rick...I used to live in Parker by Southfork Ranch

11. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

Rick are they that big a problem you have to harvest them so your stock can use the range? I'd think you could sell hunting trips and for the size of that boar they would go pretty quick after word got out. I'm also with the other poster who said to " make bacon". That boar looks like a ready to butcher hog where I come from. I too have a pre-64 30-06 Winchester model 70. That one of mine is spot on when you pull the trigger. Thanks for sharing your hunt results. I have heard the hogs are a problem in areas of Texas. Is there any kind of season on them or can you just go after the pest's? Dan

12. rick979

rick979 Active Member

Dahaub: If I knew how to make bacon maybe I would save more meat for myself. If anyone out there knows the cut and method please jot me a note as I will be butchering him first thing today. It was in the 50's last night and since I killed him about 7 pm and left him on the back of my truck in the garage the meat should still be in great condition. The presence of hogs is easy to ascertain as they tear the hell out of a nice pasture and can root up the hardest ground you can imagine. There is no season or license requirement to shoot them on your own land as they are considered to have a negative agricultural impact. Under the right circumstances a female hog can be down right dangerous if she finds you harassing her piglets. She can move faster than you can run and will attack and bite you if you get between her and her offspring (sorta' like a female bear). I don't sell hunting rights to my property as I have oil wells for income and don't want my equipment damaged.

13. rick979

rick979 Active Member

BROWNST100: If my last name is Clampett I assure you that I am from the poor side of the family not from the Beverly Hills gang. :)

14. rick979

rick979 Active Member

LLanoBill: Yep, I know what you mean. Best case scenario is to keep safety in mind first. I have had sows chase my fourwheeler when I am retreating from a confrontation with them. Them ole' pigs can move!!

15. rick979

rick979 Active Member

Texasshooter. Didn't need to drill any holes to mount the scope. With the right mounts the factory holes worked perfect. But yep I bought it just to shoot pigs with and wipe the blood of it after every kill. See... I do respect the ole' gun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.