1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BMW vs Mercedes ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by 635 G, Jan 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

There are two new cars on the horizon that have perked my interest.
    One is currently available & its the BMW Gran Turismo 550

Mercedes is coming out with an E450 4-matic Estate Wagon.

Both of them look great for weekend & one day shoots.

Currently driving a Volvo XC-70. It will be out of warranty in about 12 months.

Looking for opinions from shooters who own or have owned late model BMW & Mercedes E class vehicles.

Phil Berkowitz

2. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I say from what I have been told by the shop that I go to is the Mercedes. The BMW will cost you on labor, cost more then the Mercedes. As they said the BMW is not a friendly car to work on and they are not that well made either. The Mercedes is a better car over all. Check with your shop and other shops that work on both cars.

3. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

I will only keep the car as long as its under warranty. As far as I know service is included with a BMW for the first 36 miles. I'm retired and I moved to be a lot closer to the places I shoot at.

Phil Berkowitz

4. TOLIPNUG

TOLIPNUG TS Member

MERCEDES ALL THE WAY-RICK

5. alf174

alf174 Member

I like the Mercedes personally, but with today's weak economy and the huge trade imbalance we have, buying US made helps us here at home. You should check out some of the new CTS offerings from Cadillac, they look pretty good. (I'm driving a Caddie now after owning a CLK, I think the value is better with the Caddie).

6. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

BMW.....$2500 for a brake job......you best be getting another type of job while you wait....

7. bigben

bigben Active Member

I've had issues with every Caddie I've owned, so after I purchased a Mercedes wagon, I could not be happier, I put 105,000 mi on it, oil changes, one set of brake pads, nothing else, no plugs, belts, etc. I sold it to a gentleman who called me up to praise the car I sold him, he has 149,000 on it, he said the only noise is the sometimes squeaking of leather when going over rough roads.Every time I get bashed on buy American, I have, I have had more American cars and trucks used in my business than most, I'm not going to go there as this is a question on the two above cars. I shoot a Seitz among others, so when an American made product is superior or as good as some others I purchase it. Incinerate em!

8. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

Whoever on this thread that said BMW is not a well made car doesn't know their elbow from their A$@hole.....I have owned several and drove all of them to well over 200,000 miles....I have even bought used ones with 100,000 miles and drove them to well over that..If you think it's cheap to fix a Mercedes you are flat wrong....Any high end car Lexus, Mercedes, BMW will cost you to get fixed....They all come with great warrantees these days so if you buy one new either one you will be covered....With BMW you pay 0$ for all maintenace for the first 5 years....$0....I don't know about the other kraut burner but that's a nice warranty.....

9. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

"I will only keep the car as long as its under warranty."
    Your banker must LOVE you.

Let me know when your warranty expires on the Volvo. I'll give you a fair price for it.

10. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Both models will look great at the Rainbow Coalition meetings!

Curt

11. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

To code5coupe, I may be considered un American. Never had a mortgage, never had a car loan, never had a boat loan. If I couldn't purchase it outright I waited. Interest makes poor people poorer & it makes rich people richer. I'm 67, with no kids, You go thru life once, no do-overs. Got 10 good years left & then its Buick or Towncar time.

Phil Berkowitz

12. Baber

Baber TS Member

635G

If you want a quality car just look at Ford.... No I am not kidding. If you look at JD Powers initial quality ratings the Fords especially the Crown Victoria and Grand Marquis are higher that either of the Kraut wagons you mentioned. These are great AMERICAN cars that are not OBAMA Motors machines. I have been driving them for nearly 20 years and had very little problems. My current Grand Marquis will turn 100k miles in the next few days and still has the original brakes!

MB quality has tanked in the last few years while Ford has goon way up. You can buy a CVic or GrandM for half of what a Beemer will cost. save the money.

Tom

13. Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs TS Member

I own an 05 BMW 325i and I love it. Bought it new. Warranty was 4 or 5 years, 60,000 miles bumper to bumper. Got free oil changes and they even replaced wiper blades for free. Even comes with a full size spare. Always a free loaner while mine was being serviced. Factory brakes and tires do wear quickly because they are performance products that have softer compounds. Replaced tires at 40K and brakes at 60K. Complete brake job at dealer was under $1000. The performance of the standard engine is fantastic and gets 29 mpg @ 75 mph.

IMHO, the BMW is a performance car with some luxury. The Mercedes is a luxury car with some performance.

If you get a 3 series get the fold down rear seats. The trunk is spacious but the trunk lid is very small. My 34" BT-99 in its case is a tight fit.

Unless you are a real performance nut get the automatic transmission and NOT the clutchless manual. There is a difference and the manual will give you whiplash every time it shifts.

Overall, I love my car and will buy another BMW when the time comes. Take a look at www.bmwusa.com.

14. saluki79

saluki79 TS Member

After I test drove both MB and BMW I tried an Audi. I've had the Audi 2 years now and it is the best car I've ever owned.

15. comp 1

comp 1 Well-Known Member

I've owned both--I like the benz best

16. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

Tbaber is onto it. I have had several MB's, Lexus and others. Lexus was without a doubt a great vehicle, but you get what you pay for to some degree.

I have bought 3 Fords in the last 12 months. The first one had the standard 3.5 engine which was ok. But I loved the Synch and other features, so when the twin turbo came out, I traded up, and like the engine so much in my wife's ride, I bought a 2010 SHO with the twin turbo in it for me, with adaptive cruise, comfort seats and all that good stuff.

Zero problems...not even an ash tray rattle so far. Only had the new engines for two months, but being very particular in my cars, nothing to report as a problem.

I rarely keep a car until it gets close to warranty expiration. Just too short a time here, and too many new features to pass up. I have several neighbors with standing orders for my hand-me-downs as they see first hand the care my rides get.

17. PAR8HED

PAR8HED Member

Had both Benz & Bimmer. I tend to drive my cars like I stole 'em. The BMW was without a doubt the most fun to drive, it was spooky how far you could stuff that thing into a corner and it would not get sideways or twitchy. On the flip side, after 3 years the drivers seat was about shot and I noticed a great deal of wear and tear that I never saw when I owned a Benz. I went back to the Benz, it may not be as aggressive on handling, but the ride was better and the quality was a huge improvement.

Forget what I said and prove it to yourself. Go out to any dealer and talk a walk through the lot. Look at the used cars and take a close look at the small stuff. Listen and feel the difference when you open and close the doors or sit in the seat. What you see is likely what you will have in a couple of years. No matter how well a dealer polishes up a car, quality always shows.

my two cents.

Hal Hitchcock

18. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I'll never buy either as I can't justify the cost. I'm more like that Brown fella that just got elected to the Senate and drive my 200,000mi + Chevy Truck.

ss

19. dave-320c

dave-320c Well-Known Member

I have a 2004 MBZ E320 Wagon, sport model, with 60,000 on it. Bought it used.
    No real problems, just oil changes. Comfortable, versatile, and good on gas (28 mpg). Six cylinder is fine.
    Dave

20. dzeh

dzeh Member

My wife was looking for a new car. She drove a BMW first then a Mercedes. They're both high quality vehicles. I think it comes down to what kind of ride you're looking for. She went for the Mercedes because it had a more gentle ride than the BMW. That's not to detract from the BMW in any way. I owned a BMW quite awhile back and found the Beemer to have a more firmer sporty ride than the Merc. Kind of like shooters debating whether a Browning is better than a Beretta. All a matter of how it feels. Drive em both and go with the one that gives you the kind of ride you like. BMW gives you maintenance free service for the first so many years. Mercedes gives you lifetime free roadside assistance. It's pretty much a wash.