1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BLUING

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by Wazman, Jan 8, 2017.

1. Wazman

Wazman Member

Any tips or pointers on how to tell if a gun has its original bluing or if it has been reblued? I have seen some guns that have been reblued and it was very easy to determine. I have seen other guns that were reblued that appeared to have the original finish. I have also seen bluing that had a slight purple hue to it. Is this a sign of a reblued finish?

2. fljohn1

fljohn1 Member

I can't wait for a good reply. I was wondering the same.

3. 2500 HD

2500 HD Active Member

Wish there was a way to touch up bluing. I have a 870 16ga that's unfired that was scratched in my safe from an 1100 bolt handle.

4. buster45

buster45 Active Member

2500 HD I have used Blue Wonder with great success.

Buster

Geoman15 thanked this.
  5. Geoman15

Geoman15 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I agree with Buster45.
    I have used Blue Wonder on a Brazilian 98 Mauser build with a 26 inch Douglas 30-338 Mag barrel. I chose a mat finish for hunting.
    Put a good blue on that still looks great after 15 years. Key was to heat the barrel prior to bluing. Really made a difference.
    Bishop stock and it's a fine sporter.
    Geo

6. fljohn1

fljohn1 Member

You convinced me, I'll try the Blue Wonder.
    Thanks

7. 2500 HD

2500 HD Active Member

What is the prep work it has a deep gloss blue. It's the newer style wingmaster with the rem choke barrel.

8. buster45

buster45 Active Member

It is not hard, if it is a deep scratch in metal you need to polish if it is just bluing clean and follow instructions. I use this on my high dollar guns to keep them looking new.
    Buster

9. 2500 HD

2500 HD Active Member

Thanks Buster I'll give it a try when I get home next week. I have a x frame 20 I can practice on.

10. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

How to tell if a gun has been reblued?

It depends on what was there to work with! Then

It depends on the skill of the polisher! Then

It depends on the skill with the tanks!

The purple hue, I see it on some factory guns, Ruger let's a lot out with an all over purple hue. Sometimes it is one part of an assembly that has the purple.

I have friends that will try every product that comes along. Them they bring it to me to make it right!

I have yet to see a cold blue FINISH that matches a hot blue,

one reason is they work in different ways to create the colors!

Al

theunloader thanked this.
  11. Ray Sn

Ray Sn Member

Al reblued a K80 bbl for me and it looked like new when he was done. Ray S

12. Geoman15

Geoman15 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Al,
    I agree 100 percent that a hot blue is the only way to go for a great finish.
    I've had a Springfield Single Shot 22 rifle hot blued. My father gave it to me when I was 10. Love that rifle.

I bought the Blue Wonder at a gun show about 20 yrs ago. Decided to try it on a Mauser build.
    I could always get it hot blued later. The finish turned out pretty good, so left it that way.
    It has held up well over the years. Still has a good dark finish and has not rusted a bit.
    Here is what it looks like today. Left it matte finish. It actually looks much darker in the flesh.
    Geo
    IMG_0462.JPG

13. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

To add to the difference between hot and cold blue;

Hot blue uses caustic and nitrates at about 290 degrees F to turn a very thin layer of surface into a 3fe or 3 iron rust, red rust is 2fe. this layer while it rusted has not done anything to harm the surface of the steel part.

A cold blue uses an ACIDIC reaction to create a black rust, this acidic reaction (to me when I am following someone that has used a cold blue attempt) etches the surface so that it does not strip off in a mild acid the way hot bluing does. this etching effect also makes a medium polish or higher point less because it is lost in the reaction that the cold blue needs to work.

One way I am able to demonstrate this is to take a hot blued part and strip the black off with a mild acid. That leaves very little polishing to return it the same finish if had before stripping it.

then take a part with hot blue and some cold blue areas again the hot blue strips with no apparent damage, while the cold blued area will remain dark and you can feel a difference on the surface of the cold blued area, the cold blued area will also require much more polishing to return it to a factory (or medium) polish.

A little about me

I started learning what my dad was doing when I was 5 years old, I started getting dirty learning polishing before I was 10 years old. so While I have many years of experience in hot bluing ferrous alloys of steel (ferrous because with out the iron there is not going to be a iron oxide, let alone that 3fe that is black rust) and do it will.

I have seen enough failures in cold bluing to counter balance all of the hack bluing jobs ever done. that is why I liken the use of cold blue to the old Fram oil filter commercial, "Now Or Later"(I know a little more then that BUT I do not want to get cross ways of moderators)

Al

14. stockmaker12

stockmaker12 Banned User Banned

My first question is why? Are you asking about value or durability? If you have worked with guns for a while it is usually easy to tell almost any reblue, there will be something in the condition of the metal to clue you. Are the letters clear and sharp? Machine marks left? Are all the sharp corners and round spots in the right places.

Proper rebluing will not hurt the value of any gun that you intend on shooting. If its a priceless collectable original finish matters and you shouldn't consider using it as it would be impossible to replace.

Most double barrel shotguns are rust blued most single barrel guns are hot blued knowing the difference matters.

A word to the wise; if its too perfect it probably isn't original.

Wazman thanked this.
  15. buster45

buster45 Active Member

I would not blue an entire gun this way, But it works great for touching up bluing thinning on receiver edges and scratches. The heat is important.

Buster

16. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Buster, How much heat are we talking about? Are you using heat lamp? I realize theres a limit as to how much heat you want.

17. buster45

buster45 Active Member

I use a heat gun. Does not have to be burning hot.

Geoman15 thanked this.