1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Blueing touch up?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by SouthMetro Shooter, Nov 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SouthMetro Shooter

SouthMetro Shooter TS Member

Hey all. I have a semi auto that I use a take down case for. I got it used from a good guy this year. Anyways, the barrel has some marks from the wood sliding on and off for quite a few years. It is a 390 sporting barrel and I am simply wondering if anyone would suggest a specific kind of blueing touch up.

2. jimbo9910

jimbo9910 TS Member

mat finish looks real nice i can do it for $50.00

3. Habib

Habib Member

"blueing touch up. " won't work.

4. creek

creek Member

Try Van's blueing; it is the best blueing out there. The trick is to heat up the steel with a hair dryer, then scrub the surface with alcohol and 000 steel wool. When that is done, put some vans bueing on a paper towel and let it sit very wet on the area you want to touch up. You can't tell where the fix is if you follow that process.

I believe you need to order directly from Van's; I have never seen a retailer selling it.

John

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Bluing touch up will work. Get a bottle of instant bluing, Birchwood Casey makes good stuff, some 0000 steel wool, and some rubbing alcohol.

Degrease the area to be blued with the rubbing alcohol. Go over the area with the 0000 steel wool to remove any oxidation. Apply some bluing using a cue tip. Let dry and apply bluing again until you get the bluing to match the rest of the barrel. When done spray the area with WD-40. HMB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.