1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Blueing... How to remove it.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Barrelbulge(Fl), Sep 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

Any tried and true ways to remove the bluing on a gun?

2. shaggist

shaggist Member

Get some hydrofloric acid and a cotton ball. Wear gloves. It should come right off and leave raw metal.

3. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Coke, Pepsi, blood, vinegar, etc.

4. jmac_cope

jmac_cope Active Member

Just handle your gun with sweaty hands and then don't clean it and re-oil it. sure fire way to remove bluing.

5. Fla_native

Fla_native TS Member

Lets your wife use it.

EdH

6. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Navel Jelly Rust Remover.

Wayne

7. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

I used to blue, I would soak the gun in vinegar for 24 hr.s then rinse in a tank of water and baking soda. The gun would look polished.

8. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Remember Birchwood Casey's Blue and Rust Remover worked a whole lot better than I expected one time. Thought I would clean up a problem area on my Hi-Power and ended up at the gunsmith for slide reblue. I mean, it put the metal "in the white". Good luck.

Bob Falfa

9. Simon Engraving

Simon Engraving Active Member

heintz vinegard works best.

10. decimamas 54

decimamas 54 Active Member

WCnet gel anti-scale
    it work great and fast

11. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Vinegar works good on rust spots in concrete. So I would think it would remove bluing (rust) from metal. It is an acid.

Birchwood- Casey's bluing remover works good.

12. tinylo

tinylo TS Member

Bartenders Friend cleanser does a good job.

Please don't use Hydrofluoric Acid. Do you really know what that is?

Did you mean Hydrochloric? Or some commercial solutions that use very DILUTE Hydrofloric?

Hydrofluoric Acid is serious stuff that will dissolve glass and is a contact poison. I will grossly disfigure your skin if it comes in contact (worse than a simple acid burn).

Even professional chemists (like myself) treat the stuff with serious respect (fume hoods (or even specialized respirators for larger jobs), neoprene gauntlet gloves, face shield, goggles, rubber aprons and boots)

Provided you could even get it, don't use it on a gun.

13. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

The lead wiping cloth pistol shooters use does a nice job. Might be labor intensive.

Naval Jelly ruined the metal surface of one for me years ago, so I don't use it any more. It does take out rust on equipment nicely though.

I might try someof the other ideas posted here if the need arises.
    HM

14. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Second for what Tinylo says about HF. - Seriously nasty stuff but fortunately regulated well enough that the average guy probably couldn't get any. You need a whole lot more PPE than rubber gloves to handle this stuff - just say no to this acid.

15. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

Naval Jelly has always worked for me, but any acid will remove blue. Plain ordinary swimming pool acid will do just fine (HCl).

16. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Muriatic acid like in the CLR(Calcium Lime Rust) works well but vinegar definantly the cheapest and gentlest on the base metal..the stronger stuff will leave the steel with a frosty look if you're not really keeping a very close eye on its progress

17. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Second for what Tinylo says about HF. - Seriously nasty stuff but fortunately regulated well enough that the average guy probably couldn't get any. You need a whole lot more PPE than rubber gloves to handle this stuff - just say no to this acid.

18. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

Naval Jelly has always worked for me, but any acid will remove blue. Plain ordinary swimming pool acid will do just fine (HCl).

19. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Muriatic acid like in the CLR(Calcium Lime Rust) works well but vinegar definantly the cheapest and gentlest on the base metal..the stronger stuff will leave the steel with a frosty look if you're not really keeping a very close eye on its progress

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.