1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Blued barrel is red???

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ExFedex, Sep 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

Have a 1940's Win. M12 Duck gun. Gun was reblued prior to my purchase. It is not an early nickel steel barrel but has a red wine color to it. Rest of the metal is a nice deep blue. Is this caused by the blueing process used or the metal alloy in the barrel itself,or what? Thanks for your input. Bill H.

2. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

hardened steel will sometimes turn that color-

Gene

3. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

heat too high in tank rick

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

I have reblued something like 100 M-12s. Both ricks1 and sarge gave the correct answer.

The M-12 requires more care in bluing than most other guns. They should be removed from the salt tank frequently, rinsed and examined several times and then put back into the tank. When the bluing is nice and black, the gun should go to the rinse tank. It does not hurt to leave many guns in the salt tank an extra couple of minutes but I can mess up a M-12.

The only way I know to get rid of the red color is to strip the bluing from the gun and start over. I have had to do this a few times.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.