1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Blue Removal solution Question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by bigbore613, Jun 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

O K metal refinishers, Im looking for a solution to remove the blue from a receiver, I have access to all kinds of chemicals and am very safety conscious.I want to do it without ordering stuff from brownells. Thanks ahead of time. Jeff

2. jnoemanh

jnoemanh TS Member

Muriatic acid (available at Home Depot/Lowes, etc) will instantly remove the blueing. It is 39% as you buy it, suggest you cut it 3:1 to get it down to 10%. Clean the receiver to remove any trace of grease/oil, then swab with the diluted muriatic. The blue will be instantly gone. Muriatic is also a great rust promoter, so immediately rinse, rinse, rinse thoroughly, then apply a good oil.

3. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

You should be able to get Birchwood Casey Blue and Rust Remover at any sporting goods store that sells gun products...WalMart should have it. Works great. Best Regards, Ed

4. AdamsRibs

AdamsRibs TS Member

You might try Naval Jelly, made by Duro. Just wipe it on,
    let it sit a couple of minutes, rinse it off with cold
    water. Blue is no more.....

AdamsRibs

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

I, like Adams Ribs, like Naval Jelly for this job. Muriatic acid (diluted hydrochloric acid) and toilet bowl cleaner (NaOH) will work but can damage the metal.

Several people on this thread who have cut their finger while shooting will confirm that blood will remove bluing from guns but collecting enough blood to do an entire gun could pose a problem.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.