1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Blue Ray or not?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by cubancigar2000, Nov 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I need a new DVD player as the old one is skipping. It will only be used upstairs in the workout room and the TV up there is not HD. I dont need Blue Ray as all our dvd's are standard. Should I go ahead and buy Blue Ray and replace the TV with a HD? I know nothing about Blue Ray? I will never use it for games or wifi internet streaming but down the raod we may buy blueray dvd's

2. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

Blu Rays are just pennies more than a standard DVD Player and they play standard DVD's. Ya might as well get a Blu Ray just in case. I have all Blu Ray's with HD TV's and a Blu Ray with a 6'x12' Big Screen projector down my basement. The clarity is incredible and Blu Rays can be rented at the Red Box's in every major retail outlet or Netflix. Good luck.

blade819

3. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

+1 on BluRay! And once you watch a broadcast in HD, you won't look at standard definition TV again.

Ed

4. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Be sure to get a TV that's 1080p resolution. 720 is good but 1080 is superb.

Eric

5. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

Blu Ray will play your DVD's as well and increase the quality of your DVD's so you don't have to switch out your movie collection

Anymore, Blu Rays can be found for a little as 5 bucks on movies that have been out for a while and new releases can not only have the BluRay, but 3-D, DVD and ultraviolet for downloading to your tablet, phone, or computer.

Watch the sales, a lot of offers for new TV's include Blu Ray players, sound systems, etc.

I bought a 55" Samsung 8500 3-D recently at Best Buy for 2400 dollars and got 20 pairs of 3D glasses and a Blu Ray player as part of the deal. They run this same sale and others about every other week.

I had already upgraded my sound system a month before and it had a BluRay player in it.

If you have a Sony PS3, it has a BluRay player as well. I had the PS-3 for some time, but waited for a long time before buying BluRay for the price differential to even out, which it has. Now I buy block buster, action films on BluRay with the extra DVD version and download and lessor movies on DVD. The price difference is around 5 bucks.

Almost all sound systems, TV's and players now come wi-fi, so you can get software updates, surf the web, movies on demand, etc. if you intend to use the web, make sure the device has a browser.

6. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

What Rick says.......

7. X2 fan

X2 fan Active Member

What do I get from a Blu-Ray player that would make it worth our buying? We have had a DVD player for years an hardly use it. We simply don't watch a lot of movies. We do have a top-shelf HDTV so getting one would go with it.

Is there any reason to get a Blu-Ray? What else does it do besides play movies and CD's? We can already get Netflix or Hulu thru our TV alone. (If we want to subscribe.)

I'd also add that we are using an older home theater system that works quite well despite being 14 years old. It is also Sony (same as our TV) so it hooks up, just doesn't have HDMI connections. We have wanted to get a 5.1 home theater for a while now simply to update to the 'true' HD sound thing. Heck the old remote actually turns our new TV on and off!

Thanks,

Tim

8. pumpernck

pumpernck Member

spend a few more bucks and get one that streams like the Samsung. Then you can download movies off of Netflix or VUDU instead of having to go to Redbox. You can also download tv shows off of Netflix too. To do this, you need internet service and a wireless modem with download speeds faster than about 8mps. It is the bomb!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.