1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Blue Magic loads

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Andy44, Aug 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

I load my BMs just like STS's with great results! I use 18gr PROMO, or 16.5 Nitro100. Check the Hodgdon data manual, but 17.5~18gr should probably work for you.

AndyH ;-)

2. 333t

333t Member

The Blue Magics are my favorite hull. They can be reloaded just like any of the current Remington or Peters hulls. I have never had a hull seperation of any kind and have been using them for years. They are hard to find now. Mine eventually develop pin holes in the crimp folds and get tossed.

Phil

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

AA or STS recipes work, stay on the low pressure side. Use in a break gun. They did have a habit of developing a split in the side, and I did see a few burn-offs. Once I found a tube with the wad still in it out in the area where the wads fall. That one had to really stress the choke.

HM

4. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

I still have some Blue Magics from a long time ago.. I still reload them from time to time. They do work well with 1oz loads. I have never had one to seperate, but I have had some start to split down the side... after several reloads. After they indicate they will split I trash those. I am down to about 500 hulls now. I trust them better than I do the new AA's. Check your reload manual. Mine still shows current data for the Blue's. Be safe and when in doubt...throw it out.

WesleyB

5. primer

primer TS Member

Several years ago one came apart on my wife gun. It took two days to get it out. I was glad she looked down the barrel before she shot.

6. Robb

Robb Member

Never had one seperate but AA primers used to fall out when fired and fall on the carrier of my 1100 not letting the bolt close for the next shot. That said ,it was many years ago.

7. fishguts

fishguts Member

The Lyman Shotshell Reloading book 4th. edition has blue magic loads in it.

Wayne

8. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Check the Hodgdon Data on their website. Mash the link above. Data for the STS hulls should be close, but you could call them to confirm that. I'd start around 17.5 - 18.0 grains of Clays, depending on exactly WHAT wad you have. Claybuster makes a whole bunch of one ounce wads, so it would depend on which one you are trying to load. Look it up and don't take someone's word for it. Go to the source.

9. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

A good friend of mine nearly blew a K-80 barrel with one of these years ago. He had a head separation, ejected the partial case and didn't see anything as it was at night under the lights. The chamber bulged significantly but held together. Barrel was trash. Be careful!!

10. Shoot-at-em

Shoot-at-em TS Member

I found a few dozen a couple of years ago. I had 2 in the same box come apart during a shoot. Trashed the rest. Back in the 80's I loved reloading them. Never had a problem back then. I wouldn't use them now.

11. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

I still have a unopened flat of them laying around, I never had a problem with them.

12. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

when did they stop making them?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.