1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Blue Magic Hulls.....

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 682LINY, Feb 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 682LINY

682LINY Member

yes I am intrested,,,,,I got two flats from my uncle last year ,,,shot them and have been using them to load first shot doubles loads,,,easy not to mix up,,but the ones I have are gettind a little rough,,,,do you have any good loads for 700X in them,,,,I have been loading same as Win AA's,,,,,how much do you want and where are you,,,,,,,I am on long Island NY,,,,,,but travel the east coast,,,,,Bill,,,,,,e mail at above ,,drop the XXX's

2. primer

primer TS Member

Please be carefull of Blue Magic.My wife shot a Blue Magic case that had been loaded twice. The case came off the base and it took me two days of soaking to get it out of her barrel.

3. MGeslock

MGeslock TS Member

I'll take any thats left!!

4. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Had a friend bulge the monoblock on a K-80 barrel with those hulls. He thought popping empties under the lights was way cool. Unfortunately he had a head separation and the end result wasn't pretty. Be very careful when loading those babies!!

5. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

What is "popping empties under the lights?"

6. dennis (nj)

dennis (nj) Guest

Well , be very cautious with these hulls . Years ago when they were popular , they would separate above the brass and end up in front of the trap house . I still find them occasionally . None have stuck in the barrel though . I would never shoot them again . There are too many other good hulls to use . Hope we don`t hear of a gun blow-up from 682LINY. I really hate to hear of the criticism others give out when many on here voice there opinion when there is a known problem . It is not known if these hulls blow guns up but the possibility it there for it to happen so why take the chance is what we`re saying . They have been sold and the caution should be taken .

7. oleolliedawg

bigAl, please read the post from dennis(nj) again.

timb99, popping empties under the lights simply means ejecting empty shells while shooting on a lighted trapfield and not observing whether the shell came out whole. I was the "friend" nice enough to deposit his bulged K-80 barrel into the nearest trash can as tears swelled in his eyes!!

8. 682LINY

682LINY Member

FYI I have been using them for a lite 7/8 or 1 oz load,,,first shot doubles,,,have had no problems with reloading 4-5 times each,,,,dont use them till dog eared,,,,and the color makes it easy to keep from mixing them up,,,,,bill

9. oleolliedawg

BigAl, it might be fortunate to have people like me around here who remember issues that occured 20 years ago and can remind the newbies to beware.

I might add I pulled plenty of separated heads from Federal papers out of my Model 12 in the early 60's. I guess no-one loads these hulls with 23 grs. of RedDot, an H-wad and two-3/8" filler wads anymore!!

10. 333t

333t Member

I have been loading these hulls for years. In my opinion they are as good or better than any current mfg. hull including STS. I have never had a case failure and load them until holes develop along the crimp edges, then they get tossed. They don't come any better than this.

Phil

11. dennis (nj)

dennis (nj) Guest

What your not getting out of this is that Blue Magics deteriorate from the inside above the brass from heat of the powder as it`s burning . They all look great on the outside and the crimp line . The crimp doesn`t open when the plastic separates and the hull , wad and lead continue down range . All it takes is this to happen with a light load in an auto and your looking for trouble . But don`t take our word for it . It may take an accident to get something driven thru your thick heads !!!!

12. dennis (nj)

dennis (nj) Guest

Your right Big Al , I have not done any tests specificly on Blue Magic Hulls . Only what I see . Just the fact that it happened to them in the past and with the ones that shooters have stored away and bring them to the ranges only for them to separate just raises a flag . The Remington and Winchester Hulls don`t separate like the Blue Magics because they may have changed the plastic composition , they also took them off the market . The Danmark Hulls had a habit of separating the same way and they too are off the market . Do what you want with them , I really don`t care . When you`ve seen 3-4 out of 1 box separate like that , you have to take caution for what it`s worth . They too were only loaded about 4 times .

13. darr

darr Well-Known Member

I have loaded at least 5000 of these hulls without a single problem.Mention any hull or component and there is a horror story attached.

14. Texas Ton

Texas Ton TS Member

Yes, I would also like to know if these definately are the original, real BlueMagics---not just brass colored bases but actual brass--------last I was able to buy was in the 70's.

This WAS my singles and first shot of doubles hull, for well over a decade---likely closer to 20 years. I sure blew out the crimps at 10 loads, but NEVER had any other issues.

15. oleolliedawg

Will someone here please enlighten us on the meaning of those factory hash marks that were ever present on those old Blue Magic hulls. As I understood it they were engineering changes coded with a dot or slash!!

16. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Big Al/esterhaus removed his stupid comment

17. dcmulcahy

dcmulcahy Member

Gander Mountain Has a 'new' version of the blue magic hull in a peters target load. It is simply a blue STS if you will......

Dan

18. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I always liked the old blue magics but the crimp eroded quicker than the old AAs

now a reverse has occurred

the new ones are far superior to what win AA has to offer- the new one loads pretty well but often they crack on the original firing

19. B.C.

B.C. Member

also known as blue tragics !

20. X2 fan

X2 fan Active Member

I have about 290 old Blue Magic's if someone is interested. Make me an offer.

Tim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.