1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Blue Duster vs DownRange

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by esoxhunter, Apr 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I have been using the DownRange XL-118 and XL-1. I have a chance to buy a case of BD12 Blue Duster wads at a very good price. Anybody use the Blue Duster wads? How do they compare? Thanks. Ed

2. oldstuff

oldstuff Member

I know that this is not the answer to your question about Blue Duster, but until my distributor quit handling the green duster wads and went to downrange the only wad I ever used was the green duster. I had no problems with them what-so-ever.

3. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

The Blue Duster is a great wad, it performs very good, you will like them.

I used 15-20,000 but got better price on the original windjammer.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

4. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

I cannot speak on Downrange as I never used them. When I started using Dusters (blue or green) years ago ALL of my plastic fouling in the barrels and chokes stopped that I was having with the Claybusters. Also the Dusters go thru the loaded really smooth and slick, much more quiet also..............Bryan

5. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Being a fan of the AA-style, I've used the AA, WT12, Blue/Green Dusters and Claybuster Wads... the Blue/Green Dusters seem the "slickest" of the bunch and the Blue/Green Duster petals seem less deformed out of the bags.

If you have the opportunity to buy Dusters at a realy good price - you will not be disappointed... but should you be, you will not have any problem turning them around to someone else!

Regards,

Jay Spitz

6. chipking

chipking TS Member

I used both the Blue and Green dusters in the past and had great success with them. I moved over to something else when I changed hulls. A move I have since proven to myself I did not need to make.

--- Chip King ---

7. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Biggest difference is service when you run into a problem. About four or five yesra ago, Duster Wads had a "problem" with the raw material they were using. It caused wads to fracture at low temps starting around 50 degrees. Many bloopers and picking up broken wads to figure out the problem, I then called the factory. They were not interested in the least and I was basically stuck with several cases of "Hot Weather" Wads I had no faith in. It affected the Blues and the Greens. I asked for a replacement and was told they won't do that. Customer service at Downrange is a little different. You can call for advice and if you have a problem, they will work with you.

To sum it up. Dusters are OK as long as you get a batch that was made right. I've never had a real issue with Downrange wads. Performance is as expected with Downrange, even under cold conditions.

There were many threads on this forum when it was happening. I was not the only one to experience the issue.

8. JohnR

JohnR Active Member

I have used both and prefer the Dusters, load very well in both the AA HS and Remingtons.

John

9. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Quack, I remember that problem. I think it was more like 7 years ago. I am not sure, but I believe the ownership changed, too.

I always had good dealings with them, and could get a great price if I ordered 7 cases or more.

YMMV, in this society anything can change overnight.

HM

10. soup

soup Member

I have to think the ownership of Dusters must have changed . I had an issue with them on the Green Dusters- "ONE" issue in several casses and they were more than happy to correct it and VERY generous in thier customer service to me . This occurred only a few weeks ago .

BILL

11. clydep

clydep Member

Blue Dusters work fine, with one exception for me. They did not handle cold weather and my .750 bore Kolar. (lots of bloopers) Whereas the Downrange XL's performed just fine. So, I have a case plus of the Dusters to use in warm weather only.........Clyde Courtwright

12. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

I also ran into a batch of 28ga dusters that would shred upon firing, no matter what the temp. Didn't seem to effect performance all that much, but it was disconcerting to say the least to see 3 or 4 wad "pieces" flying in the air after I pulled the trigger.

My only local source for dusters was gander mtn, who back when I was buying them was priced fairly competitively, however now the dusters at gander are priced higher than I can get OEM wads from my regular supplier, so its a no brainer. Downrange also makes great wads, unfortunately they don't make any wads suitable for any of the loads I'm currently shooting.

13. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

I have used 1oz and 1 1/8oz configurations in both Downrange and Duster wads. Both performed fine but I settled on the Dusters and currently use both the Green and Blue Dusters. I got caught up in the fiasco regarding the Duster wads that were fracturing and they replaced a case of each Blue and Green Dusters for me. I have no complaint about their customer service.

[​IMG]

14. Longhorn

Longhorn Member

Quality of product, customer service ......No doubt it's DownRange. Have a question, call Kevin at DR and he'll be more than helpful. Their wads also are of the slickest plastic, leaving no residue and they are tested for pressures, velocities and temperatures in their own ballistics lab. Good product, good people.

15. WZsembik

WZsembik Member

I've been using Blue Dusters for the past 5-7 years for my handicap load as well as #2 on Doubles. I really like the wad. Ran out over the Winter, and wasn't willing to pay the shipping price for a mail order (and they were not available locally). Tried a couple thousand Down Range XL118 (I think)...the blue AA clones. Slightly different construction in the crunmple zone from the Dusters, maybe a bit slicker, they look to be a bit different in shot cup height as well. While I haven't had the chance to pattern them yet, they seem to be very similar in performance.

Not sure which wad I will buy this June when I make the run to Eleysburg for the PA State shoot and my annual component stock up. I will say the DR wads are getting alot of good comments from what I have seen.

Bill

16. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I just purchased a case of DownRange XL-118. I have used them before and have had good luck with them Whenever I have a question, Kevin answers in a matter of hours. I had a question for the Blue Duster manufacturer. It took them 4 days to answer! By the time I got their email, I had placed my order for the Downrange wads with Gamaliel. I wanted to try the Blue Dusters, but have now decided to stay with DownRange due to their customer service. Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

blue duster wad

blue duster wad loads

blue duster wads

down range blue and green duster
downrange wads
downrange wads performance

duster wads

what is a duster wad