1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

blue dot?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by slayer, May 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

O K. here's a dumb reloading question: I'm presently loading shells for a shoot this afternoon. My usual recipe.. 209 primer, claybuster wad, AA hull, 1 1/8 oz of 8's, 18 gr of red dot. around 1200 fps according to book. I have a can of blue dot that I've never opened. What would I get if I just substituted the blue dot for the red dot. they shoot some Annie Oakley between trap rounds and I was thinking of a little faster shell.??? Bill

2. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

3. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

I used to use "Blue Dot" for heavier (1 1/4) magnum hunting loads. I believe it is a lot slower burning than Red Dot. Check one of the older Lyman manuals.

Chuck

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Blue Dot is a much slower burning powder than Red Dot. I don't think you would get good results. HMB

5. woodski

woodski Member

I use Blue Dot for 1 1/4 loads w/#6 shot at 1275-1300 fps hunting and annies with great results for both. It is slower burning and a little dirty. Bob W

6. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

You will not get good loads. Blue Dot is made to have heavy loads against the burn. 1-1/8 is not a heavy load. It also needs enough powder to generate heat for a complete burn and you will have neither.

Ajax

7. RemingtonReloader

RemingtonReloader TS Member

Bad plan. Keep using your red and wait for a better time to use up the blue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.