1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

blue buffalo dog food?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by slayer, Aug 9, 2013.

1. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

Due to skin problems we are thinking of switching to a grain free dog food for our 3 yr old lab. anyone have any experience with the blue buffalo foods? thanks Bill

2. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I'd also like to know..my lab has been losing hair in clumps...started giving her egg white, fish oil and vitamin E

3. kenf

kenf Active Member

My wife feeds this to her Italian Gryahound that has a sensitive digestive system. It is top quality food that improves overall health, makes the coat shinier, etc. I have a Doberman pup that is on it and it cleared up a dandruff condition she had. The way we look at it is either pay for good food, or pay the vet.

Pm me and I'll put you in touch with the Mrs.- she knows way more about it than I do.

4. Texshooter

Texshooter Member

Blue buffalo worked well on our dog and one Claritin a day. Doing well now on Omega 3 1000mg a day most days. (I'm not a Vet Dr. usually!) AJ

5. postmastertim

postmastertim Wheels are falling off.... TS Supporters

We feed ours Blue Buffalo and it is highly rated by dogfoodadvisor.com, but PetSmart has a store brand call "Authority" that is highly rated also and cheaper.

If money is no object then home made is best as you control the ingredients.

http://homemadedogfood.com/easy-cooked-dog-food-recipe/

Tim

6. APrice

APrice Active Member

Bill, I would advise staying away from the brand due to the many reports of problems, including death. Google "Blue Buffalo problems."

Orijen & Merrick are a couple of brands with very, very few reports of problems.
    If you can't find them near you, they are available on Amazon.com.

7. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I know people that taste of the wild or call of the wild for allergy purposes and they have reported it working

Gene

8. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I was given this link above and found it very helpful...the only thing is it doesn't break out special categories like for skin/coat,.weight control or allergies ,..but lots of knowledge can be gleaned from the analysis's..I was told by the person who gave this to me that the Berkely&Jensen at BJ's is great food and priced reasonable so I may get a bag and see if poochie responds

9. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Plus one for Merrick! Tried Blue Buffalo but my dogs didn't like it and I wasn't happy with their weight and appearance.

With Merrick they are maintaining healthier weight and coats.

Robert

10. APrice

APrice Active Member

Taste of the Wild is a product of Diamond Pet Foods, the company with more recalls than any other. Many deaths reported in the 2012 salmonella fiasco.

11. zinger

zinger Member

we haven't had any problems with blue buffalo. Stopped using Taste of the wild for reasons stated above. It is costly though. I've also heard that Costco's brand dog food rates pretty high too.

12. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

After doing some more research on blue buffalo it's back to the drawing board. They have had some serious problems just lately. I would like to find something that's going to be available easily and be good for the dog. We have a new pup coming the end of the month so we need to get something soon. Petadvisor.com recommends a lot of foods[including blue buffalo]. We will have to see what's available locally I guess. hard to picture ordering enough food for these big dogs. Bill

13. TNCoach

TNCoach Member

We've been feeding the girls blue buffalo since bringing them home. 0 issues - 13" standard beagles perfect condition.

14. mTm Herb

mTm Herb Member

My wife and I feed our pets Wellness Core on the recommendation of her veterinarian friend. They all have nice shiny coats and are very healthy.

Herb

15. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Just started adding Dinovite,,,,,,,can't give results yet

16. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Natural Balance Lamb & Brown Rice for our 2 Cocker Spaniels. The young one has a sensitive stomach and this limited ingredients formula works for them.

Ron Burr

17. magnumshot

magnumshot Active Member

I have been using BB since I had my lab, 2 years, He's healthy and happy, but not recently. I bought the adult large breed chicken flavor. He hates it. He likes the lamb and the salmon flavors, but the pet store doesn't always have stock of the lamb, and the fish flavor makes his breath smell.

Because he's finicky about the chicken, I researched for recalls, but haven't found any recent ones. I'm thinking about e-mailing the company. My dog seems fine, I think he just doesn't like it. I read some horror stories, but you can find stories like this about every brand. I've just been giving half of his normal amount, and adding an over easy fried egg, and carrots & green beans.

18. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

some pretty scary stuff an the consumer affairs website about bb dog food. I can't imagine 350 people making up the same symptoms about their dogs. most of it recent also. Bill

19. APrice

APrice Active Member

Here you go Bill...a quality food from a company with a conscience. My dogs love it, it's economical, and Amazon will provide free shipping to your door.

http://www.amazon.com/Merrick-Whole-Earth-Farms-Formula/dp/B00780WOGI/ref=sr_1_19?ie=UTF8&qid=1376136426&sr=8-19&keywords=merrick+whole+earth+farms

The only Merrick problem that I've been able to authenticate was a couple of years ago when they voluntarily recalled one lot of treats for possible salmonella contamination. Most of the manufacturers seem to wait until pets start dying before they institute a recall.

20. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

My concern with any dog food is the possibility that it might contain Chinese ingredients. Those folks will and have put anything they can into pet foods. That is one reason that Purina would seem to be safe. However, I have been using Life's Abundance for my hunting dogs and they have never flagged in the field and have lived long, healthy lives. Not cheap (cheaper than Blue Buffalo) and delivered to your door.