1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Blue Book of Gun Values

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by $$$SHTR, Dec 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. $$$SHTR

$$$SHTR Member

Am I the only one who ever looks at this book?? I see many guns for sale on this site, dealers, gun broker, etc, and they are always $1000+ of what the value stated in The Blue Book of Gun Values. If the book is that far off, why is it published. Am I being naive to think that guns should sell somewhere close to the values listed in the book?? I'm looking to buy a used gun, but just can't force myself to pay $1000 over the book value. I've offered up to $200 over the book value and am told to get real, I'll never be able to buy a gun for those prices. Do I completely disregard the book, or is the book only for dealers when they buy guns??

Tomas

2. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Tomas, I actually find it only to be a refference. In any given area for various reasons a certain gun/model will command higher pricing. Also they can be worth less than the book reflects.

I too have noticed here too that some guns are priced way_out of perspective.

3. gyrine

gyrine TS Member

I look at it, it is not very helpful. My gut reaction is that it prices common shooters way to high and collectables way too low. Gun Broker is probably a better source of information if you are trying to find out what something, not completly off the map, is worth. gyrine

4. $$$SHTR

$$$SHTR Member

The last one I made an offer on was a Krieghoff KS-5. According to the book it was worth ( giving the gun a 90% rating) $1632.00. It's on Gun Broker and the dealer wants way more than that. I looked at guns listed at Indiana Gun Club and they are also way over the book value. There are a lot of these guns around and they sure are not rare or one of a kind. I sure don't know what would make them worth that much more than what the book suggests. When looking at used guns, it just makes sense to have a reference value. I would feel very cheated if I bought a gun and THEN saw that I had paid $1000 more than the book value.

Tomas

5. spritc

spritc Active Member

It's not the Bible. It is a reference book. For instance, the Blue Book has never been kind to Smith & Wesson guns. They are starting to get closer to the actual street values, but they aren't there quite yet.

Steve

6. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Some it is over and some it is under

Dealers command a premium usually- sometimes dealers are way over on a used gun

regards from Iowa

Gene

PS- what gun?

7. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

The KS-5 Special 34 in w/tubes abj comb, pull trigger, factory case $3250-4195
    KX-5 34 in w/tubes adj. comb, pull trigger, factory case $4295-4995 list price is more than $5200 new.

KS-5 early model $2000-2500 w/tubes, there is a difference in the guns between early and late models, early models had fixed ribs, w/ changeable hangars, later came the early KS-5 adj rib, then the KS-5 Late model Special which looks like a KX-5.

Blue Book gun values are to be looked at but you have to be up on the guns.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

8. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

You also have to have the latest edition.

Grading is the big deal here, and sometimes not done correctly. there is a section in the front on proper grading.

I would say a 90 per cent gun would definitely look quite used.

Some people get too severe with downgrading. Read the criteria.

HM

9. $$$SHTR

$$$SHTR Member

The gun I looked at was an early model KS-5 with barrel hangers. I rated it at 90% because of a large gall on the front of the forearm, (it looked like it had been dropped). So, 90% was $2000, plus $200 for choke tubes, plus $200 for split comb, less 20% for blued receiver, and less 15% for KS-5 engraved in the receiver equals $1632. I'm pretty sure I rated it correctly. I guess I'll keep looking as I'm not willing to pay that much over book value. I'm sure if I bought the gun and went back the next week and tried to sell it back the dealer would quote the book value and offer less. The only good thing is the dealers have to sell guns to make a living, I don't have to buy them to support myself.

Tomas

10. shark1

shark1 Member

I have a gun that the blue book wont put a number on because it is a proto type one of 25. Mamba from navy arms. The gun was intended for the South African army but sanction killed it. I always consider offers I have 3.
    Mike Sharkey, DC

11. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

Be sure you can shoot a K gun BEFORE you buy one. I can't shoot one and have tried two. One was the late model KS5 Special. I shoot a P gun. Ray

12. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

The Blue Book is a good reference but not the final word, nor is the Gunbroker site. One problem is that some people want to buy one Blue Book and use it for years and years and another is that people often grade their guns way higher than they really are.

Gunbroker as a reference is good only in as much as there are actual bids for an item. A "buy-it-now" price is often way over a realistic price. When I appraise anything gun related I use three or four references including the Blue Book, Gunbroker, visits to area gun shops and ads on other online sales sites. People often want to know what they can get for a gun. Honestly, you can't tell them to the dollar but you can caution them that taking it to a dealer will result in them being offered about half of what they could expect to get selling it themselves....with the caveat that advertising in a paper puts your name and address out there for the hawks (or thieves) to pick up on.

A fairly good formula for a establishing ballpark value is to take the Blue Book price for a particular grade which represents the gun in question, compare to actual bids on a similar item online, also compare to prices in the shops, and then come up with a realistic figure. Gun shows are a horrible place to establish prices as most items there are either made from platinum or gold under the weak blue finishes,at least that is what it seems lately. Establish a good rapport with a reputable dealer and he can help you....as long as you patronize him when you can.

13. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

Sometimes this Ebang.com web site will speed up your searches for guns that are currently selling on different auctions sites. Another way a poster mentioned on here, is to search the Gunbroker web site but search the completed auctions. Many auctions never even got a bid! Also, if the gun has a large supply on similar auctions, you have a lot of competition. If the gun is the only one out there and just one person wants it badly, it might still sell. Sometimes sellers don't want to sell that badly. Sometimes buyers have the attitude if I can't steal it, I don't want it. When buyers have told me to price it this price or else..... I will say else. If you want the maximum price for your item, or if you want to buy it for only the cheapest price..... You may be waiting a while. IMHO Omaha

14. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Do a search for"The Rock Island Auction Co". They have autions every three months and it's live if you want to follow it with the catalog(very expensive) or you can wait till the auction is over for results. In two days they will sell thousands of guns and other stuff. Check them out, it's worth the look and sign up with no obligation. Even though the auction is live you won't be able to keep up unless you have their catalog.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.