1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BLUE ANGELS Crash???

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Old Dog, Apr 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Old Dog

Old Dog TS Member

Anyone have details on the crash of one of the pilots in South Carolina??

OD

2. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

jcl would you suggest air shows be conducted? No people no show. Jake

3. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

Check the story out here. Just doesn't seem like something like this could ever happen...but it did.

-Jollytrapshooter

4. drunk_again

drunk_again TS Member

air shows should be performed in the air.

5. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

Flying high performace jet fighters has always been risky to an extent, but VERY LITLLE airspace is above low populations these days. Your chances of being hit by a crashing airplane(of ANY type) are EXTREMLY small. It was a tragedy, simple as that. Rare, but it happens. There were far more accidents and ground casualties in the days of old propeler acft. than you ever see today.

6. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

I feel badly for the pilots family and for the familly on the ground as well. But if you look back at the safty record for the blue angels and the 100's of pilots that have performed these stunts, it is amasing that this is the first one that I have heard of. I also hope it is the last one I ever hear from as well. But they do a great job as far as safty goes. Break-em all. JEff

7. southpark

southpark TS Member

Last death was in 1999 during training.

A great loss for his family -- and our country.

8. LOWGUN

LOWGUN TS Member

Next time you are thinking about buying that high-end house in that uppity sub-division next to the airport that has been there for 40yrs. Think again about the noise and what just happened. Mike

9. zoom

zoom TS Member

I agree with Gun1357.I believe that K.D.did all he could do to save peoples lives on the ground including sacrificing his own life. God Bless all our men and woman who serve our Great Country. Bill C.

10. smartass

smartass TS Member

You boys are some kind of speculators- you have no idea what the pilot was doing or whether he was trying to avoid anything on the ground or not.

Anybody who has ever done low altitude rejoins in a jet aircraft knows almost instinctively what happened in this mishap- it's happened before. Most likely the pilot didn't try to eject because he didn't know he was about to hit the ground- it's that simple. It would be pointless to try to explain it to anyone without formation flying experience.

Some of you might remember when 5 of the Thunderbirds crashed near vertically in Nevada. None of them tried to eject either for a similar reason.

Hey, slide action, there are far more of those "old propeller aircraft" flying today than there are jets- just thought you would like to know that.

11. smartass

smartass TS Member

No, they weren't doing a maneuver, they were doing a rejoin for their final 6-man formation pass to conclude the show- this according to the Marine spokesperson.

The simple fact is that anything done in a jet aircraft at low altitude and high speed has a significant element of risk- there's precious little margin for error. That's why military pilots get flight pay. This is also why pilots, military and civilian, pay more for life insurance than others or have an avation exclusion.

12. rifle guy

rifle guy TS Member

I heard a report on the radio (ABC news radio)with a reporter that had interveiwed some of the witnesses and the reporter was "suprised" when they had no critisizm of the military or the way the military handled it. You had to here his tone to fully understand the comment but I dont see why they have to try to make such a political event out of evry tragic event that happens.

Rifle guy

13. zoom

zoom TS Member

The Blue Angels perform three types of air shows The Low Show, Flat Show or the High Show which I think they doing. If this is the case the aircraft went down on Maneuvers Sequence 2-31 being the Loop Break/6 Plane Cross or Sequence 2-32 being the Delta Pass/Pitch-Up Break.The minimuim altitude of 500'AGL over the spectator and decent to 200'AGL above the highest obstacle within three miles from the show centerpoint is the norn.

14. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

Anonymous,-- I agree that there are more prop. driven acft. flying, but the ones that are out there are probably in better shape(even the ones with radial engines). The FAA has done a bang up job reforming the flying buisness. When I used to fly light acft. you could buzz in and out of TCAs without a transponder(that doesn't go today). Engines are better and more reliable and the FAA really cracks down on the books of the FBOs and private owners these days keeping up with the maint. log and annual inspections. I loved the old radials and started my A.F. career out working on R-2800s(hated those danged articulating rods), but the newer OP engines are far more reliable. Jet engines are are better also. The old turojets were much more finiky than the turofans of today. Acft. Maint. technicians are better trained in the services today. We used to have to learn a lot for ourselves and some of my trainers in the old days left a lot to be desired. You are right about the speculation part. True ,there have been many cases where a pilot"rode it too long" and missed a chance to bail, but no one except the pilot will probably ever know for sure. The formation flys off lead and if anything goes wrong at low alt., there is almost no time to react.If my memory serves me right the Thunder Birds( I think they were flying T-38s back then) crash occured when leads stab bound up. The Aces two ejection seats have a far better survival rate than the older styles, but at low alt. and high speeds there is VERY Little reaction time. As an old fighter crew dog and having flow in fighter jets many times, my admiration for the guys who fly them has always remained high.
    My heart goes out to the injured and to the deceased pilots family. I've seen it a lot in many years I've been in the buisness and it is always sad. Anyway, if we ever get to shoot together, let an old crew dog buy you a cold one.

15. guncase

guncase TS Member

Please tell me again just WHY the people have to pay these Pilots to fly such a danger filled agenda,, not only to themselves but to those on the ground. I object to them using enough FUEL to take a small town a weeks driving, in one 2 hr display! And getting paid a large amount to just be poster boys!! Such a waste of manpower, equipment, and fuel!! Whole thing is a waste!!

16. GrubbyJack

GrubbyJack Member

Guess you don't want the military to shoot trap, pistol, high-power rifle or even skeet in civilian competition…Your tax dollars at work…..the world is not fair, get over it….I was shooting at the world try-out’s in VA back in the mid ’70, and a comment was made by a civilian shooter, that “WE” should not be competing because we were paid to shoot, and as such we professionals……Grubby...

17. LOWGUN

LOWGUN TS Member

Gunsmoke 100, you are a fool! Do you have any idea what flight pay is and what a Naval/Marine aviator makes. I thought not. It certainly not what you think. As a retired Marine aviator I speak from experience.Those people are way under paid and over worked. I make more now as a commercial pilot than I ever did in the Corps.Sorry,guys but I had to bite. Next 911 should occur in gunsmokes100 backyard. Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.