1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Blue Angels and the Admirals Barge

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by mrskeet410, Nov 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

When Harry Reasoner made comments at the end of the ABC Evening News he made one he called "The Admiral's Barge".

In those comments he noted that periodically a Congressman or interest group interested in cutting the defense budget would announce as evidence of the waste in the defense department's budget that all admirals were entitled to an admiral's barge. And so a call would go out for the Navy to cut it's budget by some amount.

The Navy would then announce that in the face of these budgets cuts they were cutting an entire carrier battle group. No cuts in the trivial expenditures, but a serious cut to the sinew and muscle of our senior service.

A cry would go out that the Republic could not suffer such a drastic cut to our defense, and the budget would be restored, the carriers saved...and the admirals would keep their barges. The trivial expenditures weren't cut. But those cuts those most likely to cause the most pain and annoyance among the citizens of the Republic are announced.

Consider Mr. Reasoner's comments in light of the articles stating the pending budget cuts could jeopardize funding for the Blue Angles.

Article regarding Blue Angles at link.

http://www.myfoxal.com/story/16108129/navy-blue-angels-fly-into-era-of-budget-questions

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Easy fix to the Blue Angels funding issue. The article says it costs $37,000,000 a year to keep the BA flying. If everyone in the country (about 300,000,000 people) donated $1 to the "Keep The Blue Angels Flying" fund there would be enough money to cover 8 years of shows.

Eric

3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Blue Angels funding. Meh.

I want to know when we're going to cut the REAL bloated budget... entitlements for those who won't work.

4. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

I'm with Brian, also quit giving to those who have not paid in. Jake

5. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

Let's start with Medicare, Medicade and Social Security.

blade819

6. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Get the deadbeats off Welfare. Too many of them milking the system and not even trying to get a job. Then get the baby factories off Government aide. They have more kids to get more money. I say we use Bob Barkers idea for them.

"Spay and Neuter" 'em

7. Brian in Oregon

8. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Blade819 ......... you forget that medicare, medicaid and Social Security are NOT entitlements! WE paid into a fund for them ..... and the Democrats robbed that fund!

Cut Welfare to all illegals .... I will agree to that ........... also cut it to all able bodied people!

9. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

You're thinking with your emotions, not your brain. Not much to be saved from welfare.

Defense, Social Security, Medicaid/Medicare, and Interest on the Debt account for 63% of the budget.

Interest on the Debt is the gorilla in the room everybody is ignoring. Right now most of the debt is short-term and the government is paying less than 1% on that debt.

With the amount of Quantitative Easing we have seen in the last two years I can't understand why we haven't seen a return of massive inflation. But if inflation returns, US debt buyers will demand a much higher return on government debt. Say it bumps up to 5%. That means debt service increases by 5x. That would be $1.255 trillion or .33% of the current budget.

10. brownk80

brownk80 Member

Ditto AHAB and grntitan!!

I am entitled to it because I paid into it...NOT BECAUSE YOU GAVE IT TO ME!!!

Brownk80

11. CW638YORK

CW638YORK Member

Put the weapons back on those jets and let em practice patrolling our borders !

Chris

12. Ifitfliesitdies

Ifitfliesitdies Member

Let's not cut our own benefits that you've paid for or are paying for.

They are never going to get rid of Social Security or Medicare or Medicaid. Those are the facts.

It's time Congress joins the people they are supposed to Serve.

Where we should start is to take away the Entitlements to Congress First.

1)Revoke Congress Access to the Federal Employees Retirement Act of 1986 - Or at the least Ammend this Retirement plan making it available only to those making under $100K. Make them retire on what they paid/pay into Social Security. Or their own 401K's or their own retirement plans. Members of Congress only have to be employed by the government for 5 years to be eligible for FERS.

2) Take away their FREE Premium Health Care for Life. They should have to BUY their own insurance.

3) Reduce their salaries to no more than the Govenor of their Home State makes in annual salary as Govenor.

While there are some members of Congress who choose not participate in FERS most do. Their retirement is basted on their highest pay rate in their last 3 years salary. Retirrement and healthcare is paid till death do they part.

If Congress Represnets the People, They must understand that they SERVE the people, not continue to ride us Piggyback! I'm getting tired of feeling like I've been "rode hard and put up wet" every time I get a check or pay my taxes.

Start at the top and work our way down through state and local governments too.

Just my 2cents worth.

Shoot well, safely and often,
    Tom

13. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

It is a sad day when the Blue Angels and the Thunderbirds are targets for budget cuts. Those are recruitment tools, not just for the military but for those interested in airplanes and technology. I am a professional aerospace engineer. I can't tell you how many airshows I went to as a kid. And even to this day I get excited when the Blue's come to town. My kids are still too little to go, but I can't wait for the day when I get to take them to the airshow. I sure hope it happens now. There are entire generations of future aerospace engineers being let down by what is happening in the US economy right now. It is funny how the military is under the gun to make these hard decisions...decisions that put people out of work. There are MANY places in the government where waste goes unchecked.

14. oz

oz Active Member

how much does it cost to fly obama's ass around for a year?

15. ramorton

ramorton TS Supporters TS Supporters

And how much does it cost to fly his big assed old wife around. I guess they're married. Hell, we can't even find out if his ass has a birth certificate, that's legal and authentic.

Roy

16. Brian in Oregon

<i>"how much does it cost to fly obama's ass around for a year?"</i>

The Office of the President legitimately needs jet travel via Air Force One because of heavy schedules, important meetings, even time constraints for vacations. Plus it is a more secure way to travel. As such, I have no beef with it.

What I do object to is when Air Force Two is used to jet set Michelle's fat ass all over Europe and other places on shopping sprees. Especially in this time of out of control government spending, people out of work, and the working class trying to make ends meet while being taxed to support deadbeats.

17. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

Don't forget the "extra" Airplane to carry the Obama dog around (it doesn't travel on the same acft with them). Funny thing is, to Muslims a dog is an "unclean" animal and cannot travel in the same vechicle with them. Odd isn't it!?

18. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

"What I do object to is when Air Force Two is used to jet set Michelle's fat ass all over Europe and other places on shopping sprees. Especially in this time of out of control government spending, people out of work, and the working class trying to make ends meet while being taxed to support deadbeats."

How could that have been said any better? People are struggling to pay their mortages and feed their familes and she is taking lavish vactions costing us huge amounts of money.

For instance Her Africa trip:

The U.S. Air Force provided a C-32A aircraft, which is a modified Boeing 757, and that the cost for flying the First Lady and her entourage to and from Africa was $424,142 (34.8 flight hours x $12,188 per hour). In addition, it reports another $928.44 was spent on providing 192 meals for the 21 people who made the trip.

Makes my families 5 day trip(which we drove) to Florida seem like a trip to the 5 & Dime to get a Tootsie Roll.

So tell me how this crap can be justified?? And you suggest cutting into stuff we have paid into our whole working lives????

19. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Actually $928 for 192 meals is pretty good. Comes to $4.82 per meal. About a buck less less than a Big Mac, fries & a coke.

Eric

20. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

The bubble butt bimbo and her entourage need to be riding Greyhound.

Something is seriously wrong with that $924.44 figure for 192 meals. Hell you can't even eat at Krystal for that amount.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

have all presidents visited the admirals barge