1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Blown up Gun

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by awbenz, Jul 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. awbenz

awbenz TS Member

How do the Gun Manufactures test there Guns to hold up to the many explosions we will put them through. I wonder if they test each gun before shipment or a randum test. Thanks Allen

2. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Allen, some shoot a couple (proof) loads through them before boxing them up. 20,000 to 22,000 PSI loads?

Hap

3. Hal1225

Hal1225 Member

I do not want my new gun tested with 22,000 psi loads to stretch the metal prematurely. That's like flooring a brand new car engine without oil. I just want it built from top quality material with top quality workmanship using a tested design. The design has to be tested with proof loads and other stress testing for fatigue and wear prior to design approval for production. How the design is tested before production is critical to produce a safe, long lasting product.

Harry

4. little gambler

little gambler Active Member

Newsflash Hal1225......ALL guns are proof tested before leaving the factory. Stamped barrel that usually says "Prof" on the watertables or someother form of "P" with a circle around it. ALL guns. Rifle, pistol, shotgun. Like it or not, your motor was run at redline twice before you unpacked it and shot it for the first time. l.g.

5. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Proof testing and proof marks on guns have been the norm almost since guns were made in the new world.

6. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

I would not want a gun that was not proof fired. Think about it. Better it blow up at the factory instead of the duck blind or trap field.

7. awbenz

awbenz TS Member

Was told when I bought my gun that they shot a load 3 times the norm in all of them before shipping. Always wondered what was required by law or just good R&D. When I was a kid I remember the Turkey Shoots from the porch, the road behind the club house. BANG.... Allen

8. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I heard they hired retired 27 yard handicappers who were used to those type shells....

9. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

BigM, you are just EVIL!!! LOL

Modern arms have the reserve to take the Blue Pill (Proof Load) several times. Just make sure your Annie loads are not Blue Pills.

FWIW, Winchester once ran over ONE THOUSAND PROOF LOADS through a Winchester 21!!!

One can almost always use a slower powder to get speed up if they think they MUST have it.

There is a velocity ceiling above which most guns start to lose pattern quality.

There is a recoil ceiling above which most shooters start to lose their ability to shoot their gun without flinching. Why go to either place?

10. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Can someone explain to me what a "Proof Load" is? I mean i understand its for testing the guns but what sort of load is it. Like what size shot load, shot size, powder charge etc. Just curious to learn something new.

11. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Matt,

Mash the link if you want to know more abt proofs that you ever really wanted.

The short version is that all proof-houses use hydrostatic machinery any more for MODERN guns. If you have an 1760 John Twigg fowler you want re-proved, they will sure do it the old way ... which is:

- visually inspect and measure. If there are no cracks, and the bore is ± what it is supposed to measure, then

- shot 1 is taken, being 2x powder and 1x (may be 1½x, memory is faulty and I'm too lazy to dig books out)'standard' load.

- visually inspect and re-measure, then

- shot 2 is taken, and it is 1x powder and 2x load.

- visually inspect and remeasure, and apply the proof stamps.

BTW, the powders they use are 'typical' powders, albeit they are very precisely ground and have low ES & SD.

And yes, they will proof a damascus gun, and prove it for either smokeless or Holy Black, if that is your preference.

The cost was £40, plus another 20 for a double gun, a couple of years ago. I'm sure it is higher, now.

Bob

12. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I agree that shooting a proof load in this day and age is more hype and BS than it is practical. I would like to hear from some of the guys that worked in the firearms industry, that frequent this site, such as, are all US guns (shotguns) proofed....how often does a proof load actually show a defect? Rifles and pistols in the US are not proofed.... Are shotguns? I really doubt that proofing with a high pressure load is, or ever was a sound practice. It just satisfied a perceived need.......of course if you buy 300.00 shotguns I'd suggest Kevlar gloves.

In Europe when a gun is modified it has to be reproofed, or did in the past. In OZ things can get dicey with custom or modified guns.

Handguns are being shipped with a fired casing these days but it is not a proof load.

13. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

BigM-Perazzi,

Only if they are from Kentucky!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.