1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Blown Spark Plug hey Tron

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by cubancigar2000, Dec 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Ford owners FYI - I have a 1998 F250 with a 5.4 Triton engine. The truck has been with me since it had 30,000 miles on it and now has 169,000. Yesterday it made a loud pop and started sounding like the intake manifold blew or ?? . I opened the hood and realized that it had blown a plug clean out of the head and cracked the coil in the process. Thats a new one on me. This has been a trouble free truck with only $1300 ( which includes this repair)in repairs ( other than tires brakes etc) since I bought it 130,000 miles ago. It appears after reading up on the web that Ford has had this problem. Cost of repair was $710 which included a complete tune up. Anyone eles had this problem. I bet Tron is aware of it, how about it Joe?

2. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

Blown Spark Plug

it has been a problem with this engine. Not sure if you should take the plugs out at low mileage and put antiseize on it but not sure you will not break the plug even with low mileage. OK when one goes bad should you replace all of them. what if you break another one or even a couple more. They have a tool that is designed to remove the part of the plug that is left in the head. The real problem is the design of the spark plug. ford used the wrong design type. Poor engineering. check the above picture and the link to one of the articles. Motordoc

[​IMG]

3. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

I've heard of the problem before, I did for a while own a 2003 F 250 service truck that had that engine it was seldom driven kind of a back up, when I heard about it I looked under the hood, I couldn't even find the spark plugs on it, they sure did a good job of hiding them

4. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

The Motordoc's got your answer. Yeah, the 5.4 did have a tendancy to do that. Also, if you replace the coil packs, I HIGHLY suggest going with Ford parts. I've seen processors get smoked because of aftermarket coils.

Jb

5. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Thx guys, all ford parts used with Platinum plugs

6. missemucho

missemucho Member

Apparently this is a problem with all the 3 valve heads.
    Certainly not one of Ford's better ideas. I first saw this technique on one of the Velocity shows. Here's a video on how to do it WITHOUT breaking off the plugs. I have a feeling the Ford mechanics aren't interested in taking the time recommended; they'd rather break them, replace the fitting and charge you for all the new parts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Gz5Pd-hrWQ

A buddy had his plugs changed in his Mustang; $450! And the reason given was "plug assembly broke"; wonder why.

John

7. Roger Brenner

Roger Brenner Member

Cuban: I actually had the same thing happen on a Ford V10 yesterday same as you...scared the s*@#@ out of me- loud pop and ugly noise. Had van towed to mechanic. Mechanic said same thing-he has seen it several times on 5.4 etc.

Van is waiting to be repaired. Other than new plugs, any other "tricks" to help eliminate this problem?

thanks, Roger

8. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

in 1976 I spit a plug out of a chevette going down the highway. The porcelin had simply left the metal threaded portion. Is that how the plug failed on your truck, or did the threaded part leave thhe head?

9. Roger Brenner

Roger Brenner Member

Thread part blew out of head on my V10

Update: this is a 1999 V10. I see where someone posted there was an updated head in '01 or '02.

10. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

They're also famous for snapping exhaust manifold bolts.

11. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Sure wish I'd known that in 04, bought a V10--450, 41000 so far got my fingers crossed. 8 mpg is a little rough when I was getting 11 mpg with a Chevy and pulling a heavier trailer. When this one gets traded it's back to GM for me or maybe Dodge, brother has had good luck with his Dodge with the cummins diesel. Ross Puls

12. birdtracker

birdtracker Active Member

The cylinder head doesn't have many threads unlike the spark plug itself. Then carbon builds up around the threads and usually breaks off when trying to replace the spark plugs during routine maintance. My horror story of the day was replacing a battery on a 2007 Edge. The bolt for the battery end is up instead of side ways. It took a hammer, 4 screwdrivers, 2 people, and an hour to get them off.Engineering at its finest. Birdtracker

13. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Remember the time I decided to replace the plugs in my '98 5.4. Talk about nerve wracking. There are several points of "no return" where you say to yourself "I have to complete this part or I am definitely screwed". They should provide a Valium with each new spark plug for that job. Even getting to the wires to remove them without stretching 'em scared the heck out of me. Never again.

Bob Falfa

14. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I think Tron can back me on this that the earlier 2v Tritons had that problem then the original design was replaced with a new version..I think in 01-02...Not sure about 3 valve heads..not a problem in 03s and up with the plugs or the exhaust manifold bolts...love my V10..at 13mpg avg its no hybrid but it tows like a dream and is the smoothest running engine I've ever owned..always got to check the tach to make sure its running

15. Kibbee

Kibbee TS Member

Cubancigar 2000

In 1998 Ford used a standard spark plug, with coil over plug. The spark plug design shown in one of the post, doesn't apply to your truck.

This is a common problem, usually occuring in number 3, or 4 cylinder. The passenger side of your truck, has number 1,2,3,4, cylinders. I have repaired a dozen blown spark plugs, with a special repair kit, that I paid 800.00 dollars.

The process, takes about one to two hours, and I always let the Loctite cure overnight. The cylinder head doesn,t have to be removed, and you won't have any problem with that cylinder again.

The parts include, new coil, spark plug, and the special insert for the stripped thread.

If you would like more information on the procedure, you can call.

Chuck Isaac Phone H-724-656-0952 Bus Isaac Automotive 724-652-9706
    P.S. I know much more on repairing vehicles, then shooting trap.

16. baflstang

baflstang Member

The early 3-valve heads (2005-2007) had the issues with plugs breaking off in the head. Mainly a result of a two piece spark plug shell that would break off because of carbon build up between it and the cylinder head. I think this was corrected in 2007 or 2008. I have had very good results with the removal of these by using a Lisle tool designed for this. Unfortunately; the alterior method, if this procedure fails, is head removal.

As far as the initial topic of this article; the 1998 heads did not use this type of plug as afore mentioned but the more conventional plug. This is not a cheap repair and the Ford authorized repair involves relacing the threads with an aluminum thread and "pinning" it in place with an aluminum rivet. A company called Stitch-it (I think) makes this tool and it is quite expensive. Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.