1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Blown pattern--Fact or Fiction

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 1oldtimer, May 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

I have been shooting shotguns for 65+ years. The term "blown pattern" comes up every so often. Is this an old wives tale or is it factual. What would cause a blown pattern? Excessive speed? Paper wads with rolled crimp? If speed was the cause. 7/8 ounce loads would all have a blown pattern? Clyde
  2. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

I don't know if I am ready for popcorn this early in the morning. : (
  3. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Active Member

Clyde, blown patterns are directly related to shot hardness, quality of the wads ability to absorb high chamber pressures and velocity. With the quality of hard shot available today, it is tough to blow a pattern. 65 years ago, most all shot was soft chilled shot and most target loads were loaded to 1100-1200 fps. I'm sure you'll remember that Arnold Riegger always shot a 2-3/4 dr load and for good reason? The man dominated the sport of trapshooting for a lot of years and is claimed to have been the main reason we had a yardage increase from the 25 to 27 yards.

Study our sports history and you'll see the time line where improvements and rule changes made the sport what it is today?

Blown patterns may be perceived as myth today but certainly not when you began shooting 65 years ago. Especially attempting to get high velocity loads with soft shot! Better shot became available to reloaders in 1965 along with a one piece all plastic wad, the Winchester AA.

Hap
  4. GW22

GW22 Active Member

I don't know the answer to your question, my friend, but I wish you luck in finding it.

God is Love.

Sincerely,
    Gary
  5. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Hap, Thanks for correcting me. Clyde
  6. Hap MecTweaks

1oldtimer, if I'm not mistaken, Roger C. was speaking to GW22, not you or your post!

Hap
  7. GW22

GW22 Active Member

I apologize for my horribleness.

-Gary
  8. School Teacher

School Teacher Active Member

As I recall, Remington used to offer a "no blown patterns" paper "Shur Shot" loading around 1964. It was pie crimped and had a paper sicker over the crimp that disintegrated up on firing. The marketing implication IMO was that other manufactures shells, especially those with roll crimps and card top wads, were inferior. Their card top wad or other components such as card over powder wads or felt wads could impede the pattern and cause a open spot in the pattern.

Also, I remember being advised when I started shooting trap in the 1960's to avoid the 3 1/4 dram - 1 ounce of shot as it produced a "do nut" shaped patter with a hole in the middle due to soft shot, high velocity and felt wads. I can not speak to the accuracy of this advice but I avoided these shells.

Instead, I bought Federal Paper target loads for trap shooting as they had a nice picture of a broken target on the front of the package. It is an understatement to say that they worked great.

They worked so great that I started using Federal Paper 3 dram 8's and 9's for doves and quail and 3 dram 7 1/2's for squirrel and rabbit.

Ed Ward
  9. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

"Load forked" Russ Elliot on top card wads
  10. GW22

GW22 Active Member

I also meant no offense. I just think we trapshooters sometimes get carried away with all the things we worry about and over-think. When I watch little 12 year-old kids shoot 98s, 99s and 100 straights it often occurs to me that they are shooting with a mental "clean slate." They don't know or care what shot string is, what trigger timing is, or what backboring is. And they certainly don't know what a blown pattern is. And they don't need to know. They just know how to see the target and break it. And they know how to have FUN.

Many of us could learn a lot from those little kids, if only we were humble enough to relax our minds and try.

Respectfully,

Gary
  11. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

What Gary says is true. Easy to cloud the mind with superfluous concerns.

In answer to the question, I do not know, but I suspect Hap's post is probably accurate.
  12. Hap MecTweaks

Ed Ward, good memory guy! Do you also remember when Fed papers were $.25 to .50 cents less per box than were the new Winchester AA in 1965?

1-1/8 oz or 1-1/4 hunting loads with the old chilled shot left a lot to be desired when upping the velocities for ringnecks!! Good thing our English Setter could run down a runner when we experimented with higher velocity loads! The shotshell loads of the mid 60s can't even come close in comparison to those available to us today!!

Hap
  13. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

The only smart azz talker I saw on this thread was Roger and he will continue it soon- JMHO
  14. School Teacher

School Teacher Active Member

Hap:

I do remember when AA's were brand new and Federal Papers cost less than AA's. However, several Kentucky shooters had trouble with the hard primers in the new AA's and avoided them.

I never met him but there was an Ohio and later Kentucky shooter in that era named Hiram Bradley who shot Federal Papers and did pretty good with them.

Ed Ward
  15. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

Roger, your crud was excellent.
  16. Hap MecTweaks

Ed, Hiram was pretty good shot for a school teacher!!:)

I liked to watch him shoot after finding how he attacked targets. He always held for a straight away regardless of which post he was on, worked extremely well for him too! He was a very tough competitor!

Hap
  17. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned

Hiram Went to Hell when he switched to WANDA SHELLS and then he left WANDA and back to a better shooter.

I have never seen a blown pattern with any of todays loads, and nor with my LONGSHOT LOADS.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.