1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Blown Glass Targets any one interested

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by MX8-32, Jan 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MX8-32

MX8-32 TS Member

Any one interested. An older gentleman friend of mine found in some things from his sister who passed, some glass targets. They are in perfect condition.
    They are amber and have a diamond pattern on them. They are lettered with the following, BOGARDUS'GLASS BALL PAT" APRL 10 1877.
    I told him I would post a thread and see if anyone is interested, or knows anyone who is. I can forward pictures. Ken Sims

2. Ron Frazier

Ron Frazier TS Member

Ken,

You have mail.

Ron

3. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

kEN, YOU HAVE MAIL.

4. kelly andersen

kelly andersen TS Member

That would be cool, I'd buy one if they are not outrageously priced.

5. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

Like this one?

6. MX8-32

MX8-32 TS Member

The Glass Balls I have are just like the picture posted. I am sending pictures to those interested. Ken

7. MX8-32

MX8-32 TS Member

For those interested I will need to talk to my friend to decide price. He has not set a price yet.I will email all of those who send a request a picture and price when I have it.
    Ken

8. rodbuster

rodbuster TS Member

I would be interested also, thank you, Rodbuster.

9. gordy h

gordy h Member

I'm intrested also would like one for my collection. Butch H

10. nipper

nipper TS Member

I would like one too. Might have to start a new collection other than my victrolas.

Bill

11. Ralph Finch

Ralph Finch TS Member

That is a target ball named for Capt. A.H. Bogardus, the shooter whose machine, balls and rules were the main force behind target ball shooting, beginning abou 1876, fading after 1880, but continuing on until the 1920s.
    I would pay at least $400 for every perfect example. If you want a general introduction, see below.

By Ralph Finch
    What are target balls?
    Nowadays, hardly anyone knows what they are, but more than 100 years ago millions of people knew. From across the United States, throughout England, France, Germany, Italy and other European nations and on down to Australia, people young and old saw target balls in use. Common people to heads of state — U.S. presidents, Queen Victoria, the German kaiser, to name a few — saw target balls fly through the sky.
    So, again, what are target balls?
    You are probably familiar with trap shooting — the firing with a shotgun at round, clay disks thrown into the air — and perhaps you have even done it.
    But while clay shooting has been around for more than a hundred years, what came before it?
    The No. 1 answer is live bird shooting, where thousands and thousands of birds, particularly pigeons (which is why those clay disks are still called “clay pigeons”) were flung from traps and blown to bits. But from around 1876 to 1885, because of a decline in the availability of live birds as well as changing social
    attitudes, glass balls often were the target of choice, particularly in exhibition, circus and Wild West Show shooting.
    These balls, similar in size and appearance to today’s glass Christmas tree ornaments, were the “only substitute ever invented for the living bird,” something that Annie Oakley is said to have had silk streamers stuffed inside, something that, in one summer the Bohemian Glass Works (in New York City) was making at the rate of 1,250,000 over six months’ time, something Buffalo Bill Cody chased after on horseback, “old ladies” darned socks on and babies allegedly cut their teeth on — all according to an 1878 ad!
    In their heyday, target balls sold for a little over a penny each; today one ball has sold for as much as $28,500, although “common” balls, generally in amber or blue, can be acquired for as little as $100.
    These glass orbs, once shot at by the hundreds and hundreds of thousands, are now hunted by collectors for their rarity and their link to a colorful era long past.
    As a collectible, the diversity of patterns, colors and countries of origin, as well as the constantly increasing value, combine to make target balls a hobby that can’t miss.
    Need more information?
    I admit that I have no idea how or why target balls took over my life, but one has to accept one’s fate! I am a collector who not only publishes a three-times-a-year, 48-page newsletter — “On Target!” — for target ball collectors ($40 U.S.; UK subscription is £25), but I am also three-quarters of the way through a 600-plus page book detailing the history (and value) of target balls and exhibition shooting in the 1870s-1890s.
    I’ll be happy to talk target balls or attempt to answer your questions; please write to me at: 34007 Hillside Court, Farmington Hills, MI USA 48335-2513, or call me from early morning to late evening at (248) 476-4893.
    If I don’t answer, please leave your phone number and a message and I will return your call. I can be e-mailed at rfinch@twmi.rr.com.

12. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

I think Gordy might be interested....he's blown everything else!.......Sorry, the devil and Lumper made me say that! I'm feeling nasty today! Shame on me.....slap hand twice!

13. crusha

crusha TS Member

These should be easily worth at least $1,000 apiece.

14. txpick

txpick TS Member

Ken, I would be very interested in a Bogardus target ball. I collect target balls and other "old" time shooting items. When your friend decides on a price please forward the price along with a picture. Thank you, txpick Chris Pickering

15. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

I guess bumpng the bid up to $5.50, is kind of useless now!!

16. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

How about the ATA Museum? Would they be interested?

Hauxfan!

17. lumper

lumper TS Member

A few months or even a year or so ago Sotherbys Action House sold a few balls and they went for big time money ... I mean big time money so those thinking there going to be cheap trinkets might be dreaming.

18. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

The way I shoot I am saving targets! I'd like to know what one of those targets go for I am interested.

19. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

I imagine they are worth 2 or 3 thousand each.

20. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

[music]....."I'm forever blowing bubbles......pretty bubbles in the air".....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.