1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Blown Barrel---WHY?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mette56, Jun 17, 2013.

1. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

Thank God I was not injured. Shooting by myself, no others shooters within 3 traps.

Barrel is a custom Simmons with Simmons rib. Was originally a 30" but new tube was sweated on starting 2 1/2" in front of receiver to make new barrel 32" long. Done before Beretta offered a 32" barrel for autos. Is on a A301 receiver.

Happened on my 17th shot. Experienced slightly more recoil (or jump/movement) and a differeent noise at firing...not a loud BOOM. Shot before this incident was normal and broke target. Using reloads from a MEC Hustler Hydraulic. Powder-Clays International for extra lite load. 1 1/8 oz shot. Claybuster 12S3 wad, Cheddite 209 primer. Federal Gold Medal hull. Hull in question looked normal after firing incident.

Opening starts 10 1/2" from end of receiver and travels to 12" from end of receiver. So it happened about 30% down the barrel...not towards the end of barrel. Opening is opposite gas port and directly under a rib post. Barrel was built in the 70's.

No damage was done to any other part of gun.

What is your take? Obstruction? Steel Fatigue? Weakened point where rib post was soldered to barrel?

If the cause was from an obstruction, wouldn't the opening be further down the barrel?

Thanks for any thoughts,

milt (I'm still in shock)

2. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

You will hear 90 different theories but in the end the answer will be: "nobody knows."

3. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

mette56, I'd measure the metal thickness at the separation and compare that number to the end of barrel.

My guess. "Weakened point where rib post was soldered to barrel?" (Notice the center of the rip is at the end of the rib post?) That's where the seperation began.

Dennis DeVault once posted that a shot charge traveling down the barrel resembles a snake swallowing a mouse. He used similar word description and this isn't his exact wording however.

Expanding and contracting thousands of times, the added stresses from a fixed rib welded to the barrel changes the molecular properties/structure of both the barrel and rib posts to some degree.

I'd check the colors of the separation to see if there's any dark looking metal on the inside of the broken metal? A longtime hairline crack on the inside of the barrel will appear much darker while the fresh metal rip will look brighter in color.

Hap

4. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Probably will never know, but glad nobody got hurt

5. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

AA basewad... popcorn

6. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

It looks like a stealth K-80 problem.

Phil Berkowitz

7. kirbythegunsmith

kirbythegunsmith Member

You must check your shells for a missing base wad etc., since such a component can loosen and travel partway up the bore and create a significant obstruction to the subsequent shot charge when fired.

Had one guy with a Browning Gold barrel and a midway bulge figure out that he lost a section of his hull above the brass.

Up to that point of investigation, he kept blaming Browning steel being faulty. He would have sworn that there was no way he could have had an obstruction, but every gun that has no easy way to look down the bore between shells has this vulnerability.

Kirby

8. mette56

Barrel was clean after firing. No discoloration I could tell. Wads are one piece. Didn't know Gold Medals had a base wad. Looks like one piece plastic hull.

milt

9. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Is "sleeving" a barrel a sound, proven approach to getting a 2" longer barrel?? How is the strength of the new add-on barrel determined? Just asking... Very fortunate that no one was injured. Regards, Ed

10. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Milt---Glad your O.K.---George

11. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Glad your OK Milt. You didn't have Krieghoff do any work on it did ya? :)

Hope to see you in August.

12. mette56

Old Goat,

Not sure what you mean by sleeving. Aren't all monoblocks seperate from the barrel tube, then joined in some fashion? (I do not know). I've shot this barrel...alot...for over 40 years. Isn't choke tubing a barrel sleeving it?

There was a time that this was fairly common thing to do. 34" unsingles for Perazzis, 3200's and K guns before unsingles were available from factory. Mark Warrell had one (rookie of the year), CE Barnhart had one...I've had 4 different P barrels done this way. There was a time when 35" s/b and 34" o/u barrels were not available. Only way was to extend existing barrel in some fashion. I.e., extended choke tubes.

You can bet I won't do this again on an Auto.

13. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Were you shooting re-loaded Federal Smooth Hulls?

14. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Metal fatigue from soldering on new rib post.

15. mette56

Gary--NO, Gold Medal plastic with ribbed hull.

thanks

16. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

You said that the shell that did the damage looked ok, did you look at the shell that was fired before the damage?

Before the switch back to ribbed hulls, the smooth hulls had a batch(s?) that the tube would break and often the front part of the hull would lodge in the barrel. I think that Gary was thinking the same thing I was. I never heard of a ribbed hull breaking, but I did see the brass separate from from rib hulls on a shell that was shot from an auto. I think it may have been an 1100.

If the previous shell was ok, then I too would guess metal fatigue at solder point.

Jason

17. mette56

Jason,

I closely inspected all 17 hulls shot on that round. No split brass, no fatigued hulls. They are all ribbed, the old style ribbed---made before the smooth sided.

milt

18. joe90t

joe90t Active Member

JMO-But "METAL Fatigue"---Joe joe90t

19. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

mette56, whoops...my mistake. I read your original statements: "Barrel is a custom Simmons with Simmons rib. Was originally a 30" but new tube was sweated on starting 2 1/2" in front of receiver to make new barrel 32" long." Somehow, I misinterpreted your word "sweated" to be a method of "sleeving". This is why I cannot seem to keep an eraser on my pencil...too many mistakes. Sorry. Scary event. Best Regards, Ed

20. perezal

perezal Member

Looks like metal fatigue. Good think nobody got hurt.

Search tags for this page

blown barrel