1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Blowing smoke out of barrel

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by striper, Aug 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. striper

striper Member

Was watching the video and noticed that all the shooters blow the smoke out of the barrel after the shot. Do you ATA guys do that? that. Purpose? And how may of you folks do and when and why?

2. chessney

chessney TS Member

Allot of guy's do it because they think it looks cool.... It don't do a thing. Anyone that tells you it does are crazy..Ziggy

3. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

The best reason I can think of is if shooting reloaded AA hulls (and maybe some other brands with known base wad seperation), if you can blow the smoke out of the barrel it means for sure there's NO base wad or wad stuck in it. If no smoke comes out right after shooting you best check that theres no obstructions.

4. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

but i never inhale.

5. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Inhale the residual from Federal Papers......Hmmm boy.

Curt

6. PA101_guy

PA101_guy TS Member

As Hoggy stated above, I got in the habit of blowing the smoke out to check the bore after every shot.....regardless of the brand of hull.

KEEP SMOKIN' EM.... Dave

7. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

I get a warm feeling when I see daylight before introducing another shell into the barrel.

8. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

If using Walmart four packs or Winchesters , it does a barrel good to know there is no basewad left in there! Jeff

9. Fritzboy

Fritzboy TS Member

Heard it improves my pattern. It lets the shot travel smoother down the barrel.

10. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Blowing a barrel full of smoke, from a big shell loaded with Blue dot, into the guys face next to you sure does get a laugh or two! It's a good thing game shooters have a sense of humor.

ec90t

11. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

Sounds to me like someones blowing smoke but it's not out their barrel.

12. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Probably a carryover from the blackpowder days.<br>
    <br>
    I still do this with my blackpowder cartridge rifles. But I don't "blow" iinto the bore. Instead, I "ha" into it like someone would fog their glasses to clean it. Your moist breath helps keep the powder fouling softer, and makes it easier to chamber subsequent cartridges.

13. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Banned User Banned

Long range black powder rifle shooters often have a "blow tube". This device introduces moisture to the bore fouling and helps maintain accuracy.

I tell a young shooter who does that to my gun that it ruins the pattern for the next shot. Actually, I don't want condensation on or in the gun the gun (rust).

14. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

You guys have it wrong. If you really want to improve your pattern, you have to align the shell so the 12 in the headstamp is vertical. Otherwise, the pattern will be skewed to one side.

It's just one more thing to do to make sure every shot is consistent.

15. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Shooting coach, I've never had a problem with condensation by blowing into a blackpowder cartridge rifle. I only do it when shooting strings, and blackpowder heats the gun up quickly. I've never had a barrel rust from moisture from my breath. I do clean it right after shooting. And yes, I have made blow tubes. Surgical tubing to an empty case, connecting to a copper or brass tube soldered into the primer pocket. I find it faster and easier to just blow into the chamber.<br>
    <br>
    bobdog, there are blackpowder cartridge shooters who actually index their cartridges that way. They do not resize the cases, and by indexing them the cases fit the chamber better. Does this increase accuracy? I don't know, but considering the groups they're getting for Schuetzen or 1000 yard target, they must be doing something right.

16. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Banned User Banned

Dear Brian

I still have a 40/60 and 45/70 blow tube. I had a Remington/Hepburn in the oddball caliber which shot like a house on fire ONCE you whomped up the brass.

I never had a problem with rust on MY guns, because I am obsessive about cleaning them. However, many other folks, especially young athletes, do not have the problem of wanting to keep their firearms clean.

I don't whine too much though. I make a little pocket change doing annuals, rapairs, and cleaning firearms at the clubs I frequent.

17. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

Sounds like some of the things the benchrest guys do in the name of accuracy. They aren't all crazy ideas. Indexing shotgun shells would be one.

18. phirel

phirel TS Member

I must be missing something. I just opened my gun case, took out all of the barrels and blew through them. No smoke came out. I waited a couple of minutes and blew through them again and still no smoke. What's going on?

Pat Ireland

19. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

Pat, you gotta shoot it first, LOL, Jake

20. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

If there is enough of a breeze blowing, that will clear the smoke out. If there isn't enough breeze, I furnish the breeze (from one end or the other) to be sure there are no obstructions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

blowing smoke from shotgun barrel

blowing smoke out of barrel

why blow smoke out of gun barrel