1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Blooper Reloads

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by OregonDon, Feb 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OregonDon

OregonDon TS Member

I've had trouble shooting blooper reloads. I felt that I had the problem solved when I rigged up an egg candling box. I candled all my reloads and thought I was able to see the powder and tried another boxful; still some bloopers. Has anyone devised a way to determine for sure that the shell has powder? TIA Dn

2. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

You could try weighing them. Works for me. Ron

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Don--How do you end up with so many "Bloopers"? What load and what machine is giving you so much trouble? I can't remember the last time i had a "Blooper" not related to a bad Primer. Seems like your getting an awful lot of them to be candling them. Yes i remember having the discussion over your candling method. That isn't the point here though. I'm curious as to why you end up with so many?

Matt

4. Limpy100

Limpy100 Member

Don; Weigh them and look for unburned powder in gunand on pad after shooting.I had bad powder and got about3 or 4 out of each box but all the rest were ok.Only found it by weighing each shell and after each blooper I found unburned powder in gun and on the pad.I think only the top powder was bad but when you dump it in the loader it mixes somewhat and any shell that get a lot from the top will bloop.

5. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

If you load a shell with no powder it is obvious when you see the level of shot and after crimp?? I pay attention to these and stop immediately?? Garys cutter is in need at that point

6. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Sounds as if the machine is not working properly. Maybe the powder is shutting itself off at the wrong time. I'm not familar with P/W's system but this shouldn't be occuring. Obviously. He is using an 800Plus. Does knowing that help some of you guys to diagnose why its not dropping powder correctly?

Matt

7. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Exactly what load are you loading? Powder, primer, wad, hull, how much powder and how much shot, etc? What temps are you shooting them at and if it's cold, are you leaving them in the vehicle overnight or an unheated area? Is your barrel overbored or modified?

8. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

I agree with weighing each shell, but at the same time if there is an absence of powder you will definitely see a change in the crimp and it will be severely dished.

I have found that my 1 1/8 oz shells will be approx 665 grains and my 1 oz are approx 550 grains.

9. krieghoff80

krieghoff80 Member

2 things that i found....1 no powder or not enough....2 using fine grain powder in a straight wall hull and getting powder migration past the gas check of the wad...(2 was generally the culprit).......i use c.b. tgt12 in everything.... tried a downrange tgt12 in a wallymart hull and i had goofy sounding shots.....i used a mic on the c.b and dr, and found that the dr was .010 smaller....the dr works fine in tapered hulls though....i hope this will help you.....eric

10. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I assume this is about light sounding loads, i.e. bloopers. Loads where the primer does not ignite are duds.

Bloopers almost always have to do with the wad or wad/hull relationship. Using a wad designed for a tapered hull in a straight wall hull will cause a blooper. The problem is not powder migration but failure of the wad to seal the combustion products (expanding gas). Another cause for a blooper can be wad damage. If the wad fingers are allowing the case mouth to damage the wad when it is inserted into the hull this will cause a blooper.

Light powder charges can also cause bloopers. If the loader is not functioning properly it may not always drop a full powder charge. if the metering system is short stroking it may not drop a full charge (the bushing may not fully empty).

If you suspect that powder is migrating past the base of the wad you may not have the correct wad for the hull.

Jim Skeel

11. moore5833

moore5833 TS Member

A friend of mine had the brass washer on his Mec break in half-every time the charge bar went back and forth it was sawing the powder charge-resulting in half charges,thus the bloopers

12. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Last year I bought 5000 bargain priced CB4100-12B Claybuster Windjammer clones, after reloading for over 25 yrs I have to say that I never had a bad shell, but with these wads I would get 2-3 weak, hollow sounding shells per round, they would still break the bird but were so weak friends would stop and look at me and ask "what was THAT"?

I gave 2500 of these lovely purple wads away and have not had an issue since. FYI I did vary to load, 1145, 1200 etc.....never again....look at your WADS

13. davidjayuden

davidjayuden Well-Known Member

Another completely unrelated possibility could involve outside air temp. If you are shooting in very cold weather that can effect some loads causing total bloopers. Keep the shells warm until going to the line.
    dju

14. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Another posibility would be cheap economy primers as well. I've had some of these give me light loads here and there. If its 3-4 in every box every round it more than likely a light powder drop or wad seal problem as listed above. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

15. dverna

dverna Active Member

On the PW it is possible to get the gear that runs in the rack "out of time". This can cause some of the powder not to drop out of the bushing.

Take the top off the machine and insure the witness marks on both the shot and powder gears are lined up with the ones on the rack.

Weigh every charge for 50 drops and see if there is any excessive variation. If so, you have a powder drop problem. If not, see what Jim Skeel posted.

Don Verna

16. OregonDon

OregonDon TS Member

Thanks for all your advice; much appreciated. Don Hicks

17. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

The 2 times in my life I had alot of bloopers was with a bad batch of Nobel Sport primers.... and I loaded some hulls that never dried completely..and made the powder damp... If you use range droppings..check to see they are dry..before you load them...

18. BIG JIM IN BAKERSFIELD

BIG JIM IN BAKERSFIELD TS Member

Do you leave your powder in the loading tube, in a damp garage? Put it back into it's container when you are done loading. Moisture can cause a lot of trouble. JIM

19. trapshooteraa27aa

trapshooteraa27aa Well-Known Member

Sorry if I might sound dumb but what is candling?
    Chris

20. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Candling: Putting a light behind the shell so you can see through the hull. This enables you to view the components.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

gunshooting bloopers