1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Blood Myrtlewood Pictures

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Mr.M, Dec 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr.M

Mr.M Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Not selling anything. Just sharing some holiday pictures of one of nature's greatest creations to maybe bring a smile to a fellow shooter's face. Renamed the thread to give a better idea of the content. Short story: Thursday I laid out about 100 stock blanks from a nine thousand pound Myrtlewood log we bought recently. I saw a lot of great figure but was disappointed that I couldn't see any color except black through the saw residue. Friday I decided to plane those that my miller had cut prior to end coating them. Four examples of Blood Myrtle are pictured below.

IMG_3270.jpg?t=1293251972

IMG_3268.jpg?t=1293252767

Both sides of one blank. Amazing coral silver pink cast, red, black and grey stripe throughout.

IMG_3265.jpg?t=1293252956

IMG_3263.jpg?t=1293253054

Both sides of blank 2. Bullseye burl in exactly the right place with red, black, silver and grey stripe.

IMG_3262.jpg?t=1293253218

IMG_3259.jpg?t=1293253316

Both sides of a Double Rainbow blank. Too many colors to define with a perfectly placed fiddleback burst and great straight-grain runout.

IMG_3257.jpg?t=1293253520

IMG_3255.jpg?t=129325361
    Double dip, double stripe with myriad of colors and a heaping serving of accordian fiddleback.

The next blank won't make it onto a shotgun or rifle because no matter which way we turned, flipped or tried to force it, there was no structurally sound way to lay it out. It will, however, at three inches thick, make a lot of guitar makers very happy when it shows up in several weeks on a friend's website who serves the musical industry. Thought you'd like to see another side of burled Myrtlewood.

IMG_3276.jpg?t=1293254060

IMG_3279.jpg?t=1293254133

IMG_3278.jpg?t=1293254217

IMG_3271.jpg?t=1293254302

IMG_3275.jpg?t=1293254369

IMG_3274.jpg?t=1293254460

As we celebrate this season, I know that I am blessed to be able to do something I enjoy as much as I did today. Thanks for looking.

Mike Mann

2. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

Merry Christmas Mike and a Happy & Healthy New Year. Dave T.

3. Mr.M

Renamed the thread to better reflect the picture content because twice as many folks have looked at the picture of my dogs.

Mike

4. Coyote 270

Coyote 270 Member

Happy New Year Mike, when the weather breaks I will get ahold of you to see when would be a good time to come down and pick up a load of lumber. Dave

5. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

9000 lb log? How big was it? Bill

6. Mr.M

Bill,

Twenty five feet long and a butt that was six feet across. Several pictures follow:

stevensphotography427.jpg?t=1

Four sections on the Blue Monster. The closest piece on the right is a Maple burl stump that weighed 3500 pounds and yielded super quilted gold, red and black maple, most of which went straight to my musical instrument buyer. The other three sections are all eight feet long and were cut from the original Myrtle log.

stevensphotography423.jpg?t=1

Butt section on the right, top section on the left.

stevensphotography446.jpg?t=1

This is the skinny 8 foot "top" of the log in the jaws of a 310.

stevensphotography429.jpg?t=1

This is the revealing end cut on one of the sections. The spots appear black, and are either pure black or another predominant color. In this log, the primary colors were red. Very unique find as the pics above illustrate.

Mike Mann

7. FIB

FIB Member

Beautiful wood. I will probably never be able to buy anything that nice but I sure do appreciate viewing it.

8. quartering

quartering Active Member

i've always wondered: what do you guys do with all of the scrap? does it make for a pretty sweet fire? thanks

9. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Mr.M, What part of the country are you in. My Dad was a Logger. I worked for him for a few years but we did not see eye to eye! Didn't see much stuff that big in the UP of Michigan. Can't say as I miss the work it was usually pretty brutal between winter and the bugs.Enjoyed your pictures. Bill

10. Mr.M

Bill,

Southern Oregon. I regularly troll the mills on the northern California and southern and central Oregon coasts where they view hardwoods (Myrtle, Maple, Walnut) as a pain in the xss that they'll sell by the ton. Every now and then we get excited about a specific log and then the big blue truck and I go to work. I'm currently negotiating for an old Myrtlewood chunk that's twelve feet in diameter and estimated at thirteen tons. Lotsa fun!!!

Quart,

We're being a lot more attentive to the scrap lately. Because I'm so picky about correct layouts, we wind up with about 50% of the total log moving to the scrap pile. Some goes to my miller's Grandpa for firewood, some gets resawn into crafter's blocks, some is being processed into knife scales and some goes off to pen makers. It's really a treat to be able to rescue a log from the chipper and give it a new lease on immortality through so many outlets. You may have bought pens, loader handles, unloaders, bottle stoppers and even gunstock blanks from TSers who have worked with my "scrap".

Mike Mann

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.