1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

??blocking 1 eye

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Ross, Nov 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

right eye is master--always shot with both eyes open--trouble now- left eye taking over (stronger) right eye lazy eye (weaker) been this way all my life yes prescription lenses (age 70). Last several months even the trap house has been safe from me, so today I tried something completely bassackwards, I taped off the BOTTOM 2\3 --3\4 of my left lens so the left eye could only get a quick glimpse of the target but NOT see the end of the bbl. Hold point approx. a foot above the front edge of trap house and held (intentionally anticipated) for a straight-away target (from the machine not straight-away for me). Shot a normal 5 shots from each station, shot 2 boxes, 23 & 24 hard to get used to, have to learn to look real hard, didn't even see a couple until they were way out there, didn't shoot as I sort of expected something like that to happen. Anybody tried this before ?? What were your long term results?? Ross Puls

2. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Ross, when I turned 40, I had a temporary eye dominance problem...lasted two years. I always shot with two eyes for 20 yrs. At age 40, my left eye(non-dominate) would pick up the bbl movement on right-hand targets, always putting me slightly behind the target.

I began carrying a piece of "frosty" scotch tape for those frequent days of shooting behind targets. I would stick the tape to my forend and peel it off and stick it to the lens when needed. Eventually my eyes got back to normal.

The tape job you mention I beieve is in the wrong spot on your non-dominate lens. You should try and get along with the smallest piece you can, attach to the lens, and NOT see the front half of the barrel. The piece of tape should sit on the upper half of the lens and slightly to the left.

If the piece is small enough and positioned correctly, you wouldn't even need to remove it all day long. The smaller "Magic-Dot" works quite well if your going to apply it when you feel its necessary. I used the tape because I was cheap. The tape did get dirty and finger-printed up, after every couple of weeks, so I would just replace it with a new piece.

Most one eyed shooters also hold on the front edge of the trap house. Holding a higher gun and the possiblility of the target running up the bottom of the barrel will cause you a delay in moving to the target...kind of like a slow pull.

All is good for me now, 10 yrs later.

Doug

3. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Ross - I don't have long term results because I'm just beginning to deal with my problem. Rather than repeat my story I'll just refer to the active thread titled, "Eye doc experience and crossfiring". I can sum it up by saying a new prescription has helped me in the past and I'm getting another new one now for next season.

From the other posts on that thread it looks like different things work for different shooters. That really doesn't say much and says to me there are are lots of variables we haven't yet ironed out and don't know the definitive solution.

4. MKillian

MKillian TS Member

This is a perfect example of what Joe has just written:

<I>You should try and get along with the smallest piece you can, attach to the lens, and NOT see the front half of the barrel. The piece of tape should sit on the upper half of the lens and slightly to the left.

If the piece is small enough and positioned correctly, you wouldn't even need to remove it all day long. The smaller "Magic-Dot" works quite well if your going to apply it when you feel its necessary.</I>

No way this worked for me. Blocking out just the end of the barrel with a tiny dot was pointless. My brain didn't need to actually see the end of the barrel to know where it was and line it up with the target for my wrong eye.

Mike K

5. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

When I was forced to switch shoulders (due to a shoulder joint replacement) the eye situation became a real problem. I tried the tape method, closing the off eye, squinting, all to no avail. I found that if I could see anything of the barrel or target flight with the off eye, it seemed to take over. I spoke with an eye Dr. and ask him to make a replacement lens for my right eye colored black. Now, I find I can shoot with two eyes open, no squinting but seeing the target with only one eye. Wasn't easy but it works for me. I've even got back to shooting doubles for the first time in over two years.

Big Jack

6. MKillian

MKillian TS Member

Black cloth hockey tape over the lens would have been a whole lot cheaper!

You just have to be thick skinned about the brainless pirate comments you'll get!

Mike K

7. double k

double k Member

Ross I had this problem with my daughter Jenna She would break targets on all the post except 1 where she would be lucky to break 2 Standing behind her i noticed she would miss 2 feet low and 6 feet left though she swore she wasnt looking with her off eye Because of a bidominate eye problem she was already shooting 1 eyed I took a piece of electrical tape and put it on her off eye and she just before she took the line at our state shoot 2 years ago where she won 11 trophys. Since then she has become a first team All American. You may talk her in to shooting a different gun but not without her tape.We tried the dots but the plain ol black tape worked best. Good news is you only have to buy 1 lens for your shooting glasses. Good luck Kenny

8. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Thanks for the comebacks guys I'm going to the club this afternoon will see what happens.

Kenny: Thinking about your suggestion-- maybe I should try putting in a NON prescription left lens still with tape.

More later.--- Sure hope I can find something that works for me, it's discouraging breaking 17-20 when everything looks good and they sail away unscathed. Ross Puls

9. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

Mike, I haven't heard the Pirate comment, must have a different batch of friends but then, my hearing isn't the best. At 72 years old with over forty-five years of it shooting right handed with two eyes, changing to the left side isn't an easy task. First the mechanics of left handed shooting, where do you hold, stance, make the guns fit, changing stocks, bending stocks, and then the eye dominance problem, and any multitude of other little things that got in the way of success. I've watched the instruction tapes from any and all available and sometimes think I've only muddied the waters. Contacted Phil Kiner and he suggested different hold points and even gave me his phone # if I want to discuss it further. The dark lens in front of what was my master eye permits me to shoot with two eyes open even if only one eye can see the field. No squinting as with trying to close one eye. And along with a side shield in place, can't peek as I did with tape on the lens. Convincing myself that I can be a one eye shooter that's another challenge
    Don't think I haven't tried a lot of suggestions. So far, this is working but I'm still open to try almost any good sounding suggestion. Who ever said this game is simple!

Big Jack

10. 9point3

9point3 Well-Known Member

I use a pair of flip up clip on sunglasses with one lense removed and the remaining lense taped up. Lets me walk post to post and around the range using two eyes

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.