1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Blind Purchase

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by SundayDuffer, Nov 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SundayDuffer

SundayDuffer TS Member

Looking for my first O/U. I understand that it is very important that the gun should fit you. I should be demoing them first before shelving out a few grands. But my question here is, is there a good blind purchase o/u? I'm 5'10, 150 lbs, normal, healthy, sporty. Thx. Josh.

2. t7731

t7731 Member

I think that you are on the right track by looking at previously owned guns. Just like boats, motorcycles, and any other toy, the guy who buys it new suffers the majority of the depreciation. This is especially true with guns, as they really do reach a point where they do not depreciate any longer. In fact, most guns reach an age at which they actually start to appreciate and become worth more than they were when they were bought new.

At any rate, demoing a gun, or several guns would be a good idea. Go to your local gun club on a night when Trap Shooting is open to the public. Start talking to guys and tell them that you are looking to buy a gun. You will be surprised at how many people offer to let you shoot their guns. Find one you like and then start your search there.

3. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

Buying a shotgun is like buying a car or getting married.

Test drive, test drive, test drive.

Seriously, don't buy anything (car, wife, shotgun) just because it looks good.

A Browning 525 fits me like a glove, anything made by Beretta, not so much.

4. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I think I read somewhere, sometime that someone 5'10, with a typical 32" sleeve length was a shotgun sample size for a Browning...

Find an uncut O/U based upon the Citori platform and you could tweak it from there...

Jay

5. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

The worst thing you can do is assume that because its a Browning or any other gun that it will fit is nothing short of rediculous ... You have to try them "PERIOD" and if it feels good go with it, try it, Tweek it from there ... A persons size does not dictate anything about a certain gun fitting or not ... I have never heard of such nonsense ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

6. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

A closed mind is more "ridiculous"... of course, ideally one should try a any firearm optimally, but if you actually took a moment to think about it, why do many manufacturers start with certain spec range for LOP, drop, etc... and just because YOU never heard of it, doesn't mean it is not true...

I didn't just throw that comment out there to see my myself posted... otherwise, everything would be a purely custom fit...

This is from the Browning website concerning drop at comb and heel (about field guns)...

"The drop at heel measurement is just as important to good hunting as is drop at the comb. It contributes a great deal to proper gun alignment and, if excessive, will cause the recoil to be more noticeable. A 1 5/8 inch drop at the comb, a 2 1/2 inch drop at the heel will prove correct for at least 95% of the shooters..."

This from Joe Hollinger's website...

"The shotguns that can be purchased off the rack at a gun shop are designed for “Joe Average” - a man who is between 5’8” and 5’10” and wears about a 33” dress shirt sleeve."

So even if I had my recollection challenged, I'm not that far off...
    Respectfully offered,

Jay

7. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I'm 6'5", 280# what gun should I shoot, what should my LOP be ..? I make odds you can't come close on either one ... SFB ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Shoot it before you buy it. Nothing worse than a gun that doesn't like you. HMB

9. WS-1

WS-1 Banned User Banned

Duffer,

What are you going to use the gun for? Trap, Doubles, Sporting Clays, Skeet, Bird Hunting???? All of the above?????

How much money do you want to spend?

How often will you shoot it?

For what it's worth, don't buy retail. Buy from a pro who knows how to fit you with a nice, used gun that will meet your needs based on the list above. If you live in a state like Ohio or Pennsylvania(etc., etc.), there are a lot of very knowlegable experts around who can help you. Take the time that it takes to find them and get them to help you. Get in touch with a large club and find out who the "go-to" guy is.

Trust me. Everybody here will tell you that there is nothing worse than a gun that doesn't fit...and that even includes a nagging wife.

10. SundayDuffer

SundayDuffer TS Member

WS1, yes i will take my time. Ive been visiting quite a few shops here in the bay area, just try to handle and feel them guns. Next week, there will be an ATA meet at one of the local range, i will head out there. Lots of experienced players w nice hardwares...who knows they might even have some to sell for a decent price. I will be demoing a 725 and a cynergy classic sporting in a couple day at Coyote Valley. Hopefully that will help with my decision. Thx .

11. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Fit is important but impact is extremely important. A gun may fit perfectly in your estimation but shoot nowhere near where you need to be successful!!

12. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Look for a used gun that has an adjustable comb and butt plate. Then the fitting part is something you can work out on your own. Other than that you will want a gun known for durability - lots of opinions on this but the 682 Beretta and the Browning XT are both decent choices.

Don't worry, this is not like a wife. You can trade out the shotgun at any time with little to no monetary loss. You can also just buy another shotgun and the first one won't even give you an evil look!

13. Redcobra

Redcobra Active Member

A Beretta fits me like a glove, anything made by Browning, not so much.

14. pedagogue

pedagogue Member

As my grandfather said "don't take advise from someone missing a finger". See how they shoot or are they just the club know it all. jack

15. willing

willing Member

WPT
    If it is sold at Walmart IT WILL fit.

Bill

16. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

In the Big and Tall section ... lol ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

17. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Browning Citori Plus. With the addition of the Jones/Recoiless Engineering stock adjuster for $60 you'll have a heck of an O/U that is completely adjustable to fit you. They haven't been manufactured for a while, but there are several around. When I bought mine in '92 they were $1200 retail, but the passing of time has seen the prices actually increase (inflation?). They are a doubles crushing machine and an excellent gun for singles as well as handicap ('til you start getting close to the back fence - for me anyway). There's one on here occasionally. Good luck.

Bob Falfa

18. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Josh,

I agree that how well a gun fits is very important. "Fit" describes how well a gun's stock dimensions match your size and shape. At your height and weight, many guns will fit you "fairly well." That means that you can probably use a shooting form (gun mount, stance, body/head/neck) posture that is fairly good.

If that is good enough, generally speaking here are the things to look in a gun that fits:

Shooting form:

Stance: Stand with your body roated less than 45 degrees.

Drop at the comb: With firm cheek pressure on the comb, you should be seeing just a little rib surface. Your neck should not need to be leaned forward to put your cheek on the comb. It is usually a good idea to mount the gun with about an inch of the recoil pad extending above the collarbone.

Stock length (length of pull/LOP): With the gun mounted as described above, your nose and trigger-hand thumb should be separated by about 1.25" to 1.5".

Pitch: As the gun is being mounted using your normal shooting posture, the whole recoil pad (except the part extending above your collarbone) should make simultaneous contact with your shoulder. What you don't want is the bottom "toe" of the recoil pad making contact well before the top of the pad.

Stock dimensions can be changed/corrected, but it is best when they don't need to be. You may want to visit my Website (above).

Rollin

19. SundayDuffer

SundayDuffer TS Member

Rollin and everyone else, thankyou so much for all the advices. I will take them and apply toward my search for my first o/u. Thankyou.

20. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I guess I have been lucky. I have bought many trap guns and the factory stocks have always fit me. My recent 90T purchase with a factory stock fits like a glove.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.