1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Blind Kid shoots at Fennville

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Rookieman, Aug 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rookieman

Rookieman TS Member

Tuesday night at Fennville . Had the pleasure to watch a Blind Child come out and shoot 2 rounds on our Tuesday night shoot !.

What a way to kick off the Grand !.

2. BenelliM2

BenelliM2 TS Member

18 rounds of trap.

6-8 rounds of skeet.

3 guns up/Barn shoot.

Lots of new people out shooting,many never picked a gun up until last night.

Also...last night was the first time I have ever seen/heard bagpipes played at a gun club!

3. pullbangloss

pullbangloss Active Member

Ok Willis we need a little more info. Honestly with you posting at 1 am its some what suspicious. Were you the blind shooter?

Matt Ski

4. moore5833

moore5833 TS Member

Matt-after some bud lights????

5. SteveHayboer

SteveHayboer Member

A young blind shooter. That is fantastic. Shooting is so great because it brings folks of various social, economic, and physical levels together for a good time. Fennville is such a great club, my hat is off to you!

Hayboer

6. SteveHayboer

SteveHayboer Member

On a different note, here is Hook getting shooting tips from the above mentioned shooter.

stevehayboer_2011_100313.jpg

7. cindyfenn

cindyfenn Member

Seriously as I heard it tonight it was a father/son effort. Son held the gun with Dad's help and called pull. Dad helped with the shooting. A believe the youngster played the bagpipes too. My hat's off to him and his family.

Comments were darn funny though!!

Cindy

8. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

You people are sick, sick I tell you ... Next thing you know they will be having Nascar races with Blind kid drivers ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

9. BenelliM2

BenelliM2 TS Member

WPT

F.Y.I. His dad was with him holding the gun so it's not like he was on the line by himself,I was pulling the round and not one time did I see him do anything unsafe.

10. Rookieman

Rookieman TS Member

I was told not to reply . Let it be !

for Now !

11. YOUNG GUN

YOUNG GUN Member

yoy know WPT your just mad cause a blind kid shot better than you

12. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Ok you guys! Would it kill ya to believe? Would it just kill ya? :)

13. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

I was helping a guy with Alzheimer's go deer hunting on a company owned lease. He was holding the rifle and I was leaning over to help align the scope up on the deer. When I told him to pull the trigger, he did. The gun jumped back and put a gash above my eye. I guess I did not do it the right way. He did have a blast on that trip. He died the next year. Ray

14. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

My sister had a blind friend who wanted to shot a shotgun. Well I think I can take care of that. I let him first hear the gun go off then I had him put his hand on my shoulder so he could feel the recoil. I then let him shoot the gun. I told him to either turn left or right. Up or down. He had a blast and enjoyed it.

When he came back he want to shot a Colt 45 1911. Again I went through the same format. He then took the gun and shot it. Again his face lite up.

So what if he's blind. He can still pull a trigger and have fun.

15. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

Please read and enjoy this story of our good friend who we knew when she was sighted, and after her blindness.

I have pulled trap many times for her over the years since she went blind. Her husband sights over her shoulder, and hods the forend of the gun all this while she holds the gun...When the target comes out, her husband begins moving the gun in the direction of the target and Sharon's instinct takes over with a swing into the target and pulls the trigger WITHOUT having her husband tell her when she is "On Target"..I have asked Sharon on more than one occassion how she does it..She tells me that after a couple of shots, she can tell how high the targets are and actually has timing down to know when she is there to pull the trigger...

A 6th sense if you will and believe me folks, I am NOT making this up !!!

I'm sure you would never believe it until you see it happen. I was in awe the first time I saw her do this remarkable feat..

I have no problem taking the line with Sharon. She is the most safety consious person I have ever seen...

And you should see her take a pheasant out of the air !!! UNBELIEVABLE that she can hear the wings flapping. Her husband guides her while in the field, and with great pointing dogs, they pretty much can get ready for the phesant to take off. Once again her husband gets her set and she does the rest...

I hope you enjoy the read...OH yeah, her record trap score was under the lights one evening at the Shortsville Rod and Gun Club in NY, when she had a 23 and beat the other 4 men on her squad...Her remark was??? What's so hard about night shooting...LOL What a sense of humor she has now. Great little lady !

story by Marilyn Stone

Sharon Pagel has taken a deer, antelope and two bears with a bow. In late summer, she frequently sounds hoarse from talking over noisy Boy Scout archery students. She is a staff shooter for Oneida Eagle bows. She shot 17/25 on the trap range the other day.
    As most of us do, Sharon has an answering machine, though the message callers hear is unusual. She apologizes that she may have missed the call because she “couldn’t find the silly thing!” Sharon has been blind since November 1994.

At that time, back pain drove Sharon into surgery. During the operation, a lack of oxygen destroyed her optic nerve. “Everyone else went on with life and I’m sitting here blind,” she thought.

This woman—a hunter, cabinetmaker, hunter safety instructor, wife and mother—felt “punched in the stomach” every time the realization that “I’m totally blind” hit her. The surgery didn’t help her back that much, either.

Three months later, Sharon’s husband, Tim talked her into picking up her bow again. He coaxed her into shooting at the local shop where they’d both been instructors. With Tim sighting over her shoulder, she again heard the sound of accomplishment, the arrow smacking into the target.

She also got her first introduction to the attitude many people have toward those with disabilities. As she stepped up to the line, she could hear the shuffle of feet as other shooters retreated, fearful of what a blind archer might do.

I Can Help These Guys!

Sharon had previously volunteered as an archery instructor for the Boy Scouts of America. “The best thing that ever happened,” she recalls, was a phone call asking her to help the new instructor. Initially, she helped with the verbal instruction, but was relegated to the sidelines when the Scouts took to the range. She felt totally worthless.

But Sharon couldn’t allow the frustration one Scout was experiencing at regularly missing the target to continue. Using her hands, she felt his stance and helped him adjust it. As soon as he made the corrections, he hit the target. “I got so emotional, I had to walk away,” Sharon said. “I thought, ‘I can help these boys learn to shoot.’”

Hunting Again….

Sharon returned to her tree stand just one year after her back surgery went awry. She and Tim both wondered if his verbal and hand cues would spook the game.

When she lost her sight, sharon Pagel found no good reason to give up her passion for hunting. She can't accept why anyone would.
    After hunting from a stand for several hours late one winter afternoon, Sharon said, “to heck with this” and retired to a lawn chair just inside an open shed. Soon, she heard a buck grunt. He was high on a hillside but was eagerly following two does headed almost directly toward Sharon. The buck came so close she had to wait for him to move far enough away to shoot. Sharon finally released her arrow. A split second later, she heard Tim shout. “You got him!” The buck was well hit, traveling only 100 yards before going down for good. Tim and Sharon’s teamwork had proven successful.

Later, Sharon and Tim hunted antelope in Wyoming. During the hunt, Tim described the desert landscape, helping Sharon recall memories of hunting there before losing her sight.

The running board of the truck was Sharon’s shooting platform. Acting as her safety belt, Tim hung onto her suspenders. At one point when the driver didn’t come to a complete stop, she nearly fell from her precarious perch.

Sharon had her chance at a buck. He was slowly walking 40 yards away. The angle wasn’t ideal, but Sharon released at Tim’s signal. The buck went 25 yards and dropped. The arrow had punctured both lungs.

Attitudes—The Highest Barrier

There is little state-to-state uniformity in game regulations regarding disabled hunters, but there are no specific laws barring participation in Sharon’s home state of New York. One employee of New York’s Department of Environmental Conservation, however, sent license agents a memo discouraging them from issuing hunting licenses to blind people. “I guess they thought we’d be blasting away with a white cane in one hand and a gun in the other,” Sharon said.

She attended the International Hunter Education Conference in June 1999 to help increase awareness of disability issues among wildlife agency personnel. She finds it unacceptable that “so many good people are giving up the sport because they’ve been told they can’t hunt.”

Sharon has many visual memories from hunts prior to November 1994. With little prompting from Tim, she can recall images of the Wyoming landscape, the dream home they’ve just moved into or watching a buck pursuing a doe in heat. She disciplines herself to focus on what she feels, smells and hears. While she works on being positive, her inability to see the young man her son is becoming invites sadness she compares to a stomach punch. But she doesn’t permit depression to settle in. To allow depression a foothold would fly in the face of a woman willing to try anything, whether she can see or not.

For more about Sharon, just google SHARON PAGEL and a lot of things will pop up about her...

Dave in SC

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.