1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Blaser - Poor Marketing Strategy

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Mr. Nice Guy, Sep 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Nice Guy

Mr. Nice Guy TS Member

*** ROUTINE CUSTOMER SERVICE REQUEST ***

*** GRADE = F ***

There are a lot of people out there looking for new guns, asking questions, making comparisons. I see it on this Forum daily. So, I thought my recent experiance with Blaser might be of interest to some. The background...

I *really* wanted to give Blaser a chance at my next trap gun, but their lack of customer service sent me elsewhere. After hearing rumblings of a new trap gun (supposedly to be released in Q1-2010), I scoured the web looking for info. I did this for an entire month and I found next to nothing. One of the places I looked was Blaser themselves. Their webpage says nothing about this new gun. ZERO.

I called Blaser-USA asking for pictures (twice). During the second call I learned the ONLY way I'm going to see this gun is to take time out of my schedule, buy a plane ticket and travel to see it. Blaser takes the gun to big shoots and lets everyone there see it, but if you're not physically there, forget it.

There are five guys at my local gun club looking for a new gun. Every week they discuss P, K, Kolar and Guerini. I tell them to hold off buying any of the former because Blaser has something cooking, and I'm trying to find out what. If I could get any info on the gun at all I would have passed it along. But, I can't find any and while they carry it to big shoots, the factory couldn't be bothered to send a picture. What happens if you need some REAL help down the road?

I run $50M / year through my business. If my marketing team worked this way they'd be looking for another job. So, in the spirit of being charitable and friendly, here's some FREE MARKETING ADVICE --> If you're willing to show your product to Potential Customer A (folks at a shoot) then Potential Customer B (the guy on the phone) should be able to see it as well. If you deny him, it's quite possible he'll turn his back on you and tell his shooting buddies about it. This is where I'm parked today.

I'm really not as frustrated as I sound, I've got a great new gun (a new toy is a fun toy) I'm just surprised. When a customer calls and wants to see your product, you might want to let him see it.

Gun #42 in my safe is now a Krieghoff K-80. I'm fairly sure Blaser won't find their way into my gun vault since a customer service "F" is hard to forget.

2. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

42nd shotgun or in total? Because that's very impressive if it's the 42nd shotgun.

3. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

They're hitting the sporting clays market pretty hard. Sporting clays is pretty much Browning, Beretta, Krieghoff, Guerini, and Perazzi. Maybe they feel trap is too hard to break into, with all the above, plus Ljutic, Cole, Bowen, Seitz, DeVault, Alferman.

4. Mr. Nice Guy

Mr. Nice Guy TS Member

About 1/2 are shotguns. The whold "gun thing" is a sickness I can't shake.

5. SMITH47

SMITH47 Member

I am a lefty and called Blaser USA to inquire about the availability of left hand wood. The person who answered the phone said "contact a dealer" and nothing further just silence.

So I did contact my dealer and ordered a new stock for my MX 12 !

I bought a k-80 a couple of years ago and it had the wrong barrel hanger on it and bottom barrel shot low. I took it to a dealer close by that i DID NOT buy it from and they shipped it to Krieghoff international who changed the barrel hanger and test fired it. The gun was returned in about two weeks along with the pattern paper and there was NO CHARGE. The gun was heavy for me and i sold it but i sure miss that kind of service !!!!!!!!!!!hmm maybe a k-20 ?

6. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

Rich Kaysa and Norbert have been providing great service for may years. They don't need me to defend them but there has to be more to the story. Ron Renouf

Note added: Rich and Norbert do not sell guns at retail. Their total efforts are to support their dealers and make sure the retailers are the best they can be. I know them and their families. I have been to their homes many times. They won't sell me a gun either! Ron

7. twoatloweight

twoatloweight Member

I wonder,follwing last year's World Skeet shoot I tried to get Rich to send me pics and prices for an upper end,left hand model....no response.You wonder what they're thinking.

8. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

At this time the only guns in the new trap configuration are the 2-3 demo guns at Blaser. The photos for the catalog are not done yet and the preliminary response to the demos has been very positive. As a dealer I am personally excited about the new trap gun, however there are NONE currently available. The couple of demo/prototypes that Rich and Norbert have are exactly that ... demos and not so good for pictures.

So ... if you want to see one, come to the MO Fall Handicap. Rich will be there with us (Target Shotguns) with the demos and you can shoot one and get a feel for the gun. I'm going to spirit one away long enough to take some photos and I'll put them on TS.com when I get back from MO.

As for the "see your dealer" response, they have a very loyal attitude to their dealer network. (Unlike other manufacturers.) I am surprised, however, that you got a less than enthusiastic response from whoever answered the phone. I'm not sure about the picture thing ... but I'll find out and post further news on this thread.

Bob Schultz

9. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

See my note updating my previous reply. Ron

I didn't mean to step on Bob Schultz's answer, you will notice we posted at the same time.

10. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

There was a time (before the internet) that folks did marketing just as is talked about here. They would make up some sample guns, drag them around to shoots, get input, find out what got shooters excited and then go back and produce a small group of guns to be tested for glitches prior to all out marketing and production. It appears that Blaser is still in the first stage and it will be quite a wihile before we actually see a production gun that we can buy. Sounds to me like Blaser (Blazer sp?) may be taking a go slow approach, but with us internet guys scrambling to be the first to make comments, we get the horse pushing the cart.

11. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

There's a lot to be said about attitude. Now, if the Blaser representative that answered the phone had said, "I'm sorry but we don't have pics yet. The production model gun isn't finished. However, we do have a prototype gun we are taking to shoots and you can see one of those and even shoot it if you like. WE just don't have any pics of the new one yet" that would have satisfied me.

What about you Mr. Nice Guy?

12. SMITH47

SMITH47 Member

I agree Rastoff

How about adding:

However I did take some pictures with my personal digital camera. If you would give me your email address I will forward them to you.

And give some pictures to Mr Schultz to share. I have seen pictures on this site that would rival any professional ?

I would like for them to succeed.

13. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

It appears that Dave Schaffer (sp?) has one of their guns that he's presently shooting, based on a pic and description on the NE grand thread.

14. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

I fondled the new Blaser trap gun last weekend in San Antonio, but haven't shot it.It is very nicely done and felt good. I'm buying a new Blaser as this is being written, but it won't be the trap model. I don't like or see any use for an adjustable rib on any gun. I'm getting a sporting version with the new parallel comb Monte Carlo stock. I will fit it with a Keensight rib 1/2" high, my adjustable comb and a Bump-Buster to have as a demo gun (and for me to shoot whatever game I desire!). I've done stock work on many Blasers for the sporting clays crowd and am impressed with the design and feel of the guns. I know Rich and Norbert well and have no doubt about any service I may need. I see them in action on a regular basis in San Antonio and have never seen any behavior as eluded to in this thread. Give them a little time to get the new trap gun on the market. I think you'll be pleased from what I've seen.

Ken Rucker...Speedbump Stockworks

15. ebsurveyor

ebsurveyor Member

I shot a few rounds of trap with the single barrel & Diamond Dave has one. Rich told me they would be available after the first of the year.

16. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Pre-announcing a new product is a very tricky thing. While a copmpany wants to get people excited about what is coming, the very best way to stop your own sales is to tell prospective customers NOT to buy your products because a new product will be coming soon. No company can do this and survive.

17. chuckles

chuckles Member

Sounds to me like Mr Nice Guy or (Mr Big Bucks) didn't get his way and so he is bad mouthing a very reputable gun co and along the way letting us know HE has 42 guns including his latest K80.....

Guys like this give Shotgun Sports a bad name....

Ruck (Ken) enjoyed your post, will be looking forward to the new Blaser Trap...

regards...Chuck

18. andybull

andybull Active Member

I rarely buy things in person anymore. If it's not on the internet forget it!

19. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Marketing is a tricky part of business.

GM marketing div. made their share of mistakes with too much money to spend.

Id rather see the final product rather than the hype of marketing.

However, brochures in the mail would be helpful.

At the Cardinal center they were practicaly putting one in your hands and the reps were on the practice trap to help.

Regards.....Gerald

20. Pride Engineer

Pride Engineer Member

I spoke with Norbert about the prototype guns he had there. They were close to final but he had some small changes that were already planned. I know they rushed to get them to the grand as Norbert himself had just completed building the release trigger for the prototypes a few days before. I'm sure the pictures will be taken as soon as the final version can be photoed.

I think you need to look at the gun, and try one before you buy. I don't think any prudent person would buy a new gun to use in competition from photos if that gun has not even been released for production yet. Blaser put samples out there for us to try and give our feedback before finalizing the design. They now have that feedback and will incorporate it into their final offering. Brochures will likely be available at their dealers along with the production models.

I have looked at Blaser rifles as well has the old F3 model shotguns. I think they have Krieghoff/Perazzi appearance at a more reasonable price. In addition, Blaser is building a dealer network of first class people, like Bob Schultz, that will both sell and support the products well. I think the guns just might be worth waiting for.

Mark Zauhar

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.