1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Blago @ the Grand?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 635 G, Apr 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Rumor has it that former Illinois Gov. Blagojovich will be in attendance at this year's Grand. He will be dressed in an orange jump suit & will be helping maintain the environs. It is also rumored he will be wearing this jump suit after members of the ATA are consulted for design inputs. Anybody out there have any idea of the former GOV. might look good in while at the Grand.
    I would love to see him in a dunk tank.

Phil Berkowitz

2. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Is my memory failing or wasn't Blago the one that made Sparta happen? Seems to me that we were told that anyway. No I'm not a fan of his nor any other left winger but if he made Sparta happen I'm not going to bash the guy!

3. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Actually the other jailbird, Ryan, got the thing started. The remarkable part was that Blago finished it instead of closing it down. Must have been a lot of skimming available.

4. mollyone

mollyone TS Member

hope blago too sore to walk

5. jbailey

jbailey Active Member

I would like to know how much ATA money ie. your money, went into Blago's pocket on the Sparta deal.

6. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

An orange casket would be nice.

7. colonel klink

colonel klink Active Member

While it is true that Blago is the Governor that did make the WSRC happen, the orignal proposal to build the complex was made by then Governor Ryan. That proposal was rejected & Blago continued to pursue it & did get the job done.
    Colonel

8. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

Where does the State of Illinois report the financial status of the Sparta facility? Are they making any money, net, from revenues?

There was a question about awarding of construction contracts. Some body's brother-in-law was receiving favored treatment, as I recall.

Since the State is having financial trouble, now would be the time for the ATA to step up and buy the grounds at a favorable price. It worked in 1923 when we developed Vandalia.

9. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Blago, will be availabe as a score keep at the Gradn this yearplease fill out the request form in cluded below.
    Annualy Salary___________
    Political Party___________
    How bad do you want to win, in dollars and cents______________
    Credit Card Number_________________
    Checking Account Balance_________________
    Property with out liens_________________

10. colonel klink

colonel klink Active Member

I doubt the State has any intentions of selling the WSRC. Unlike Vandalia, which was only a trap shooting facility & considerably smaller, the WSRC is a
    state park of 1500+ acres. While the Grand is certainly at this time the largest single event held there it is by far not the only event held. Having said that I will say I would not be surprised if at some point in time the state were to sell to the ATA the east fields which are only used for events
    anyway. Anyway, there is a whole lot of things to do there other than the Grand. Always felt it was a shame that the old home grounds in Vandalia had such limited use. Sure liked that place. One of the problems of a area growing & populating around a gun club. Had that happen to me at one of the local clubs I used to shoot at. Don't see that happening at Sparta in any forseeable future. It's all good, enjoy any & all of it while we still can. JMO
    Colonel

11. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Neither of the last two governors of Illinois had much to do with the building of the WSRC. The politicians in Southern Illinois and the Illinos Legislative Sportsmens' Caucus drove it through without objection by Republican Gov. Ryan. By the time Blago was governor it was too late for him to kill it.

It didn't bother him at all though to show up to take credit for it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.