1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Blade at end of barrel

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by austin fatts, Jan 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. austin fatts

austin fatts TS Member

I am a one eyed shooter and trying to shoot with 2 eyes. Would one of those blades help me with not seeing 2 ribs or sights?? Thank you.

Austin Fatts

2. TOLIPNUG

TOLIPNUG TS Member

3. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Now matter what you hang on the end of the barrel you will not see it the same way with two eyes that you are used to seeing it with just one. One-eyed shooters are used to seeing one distinct barrel and bead. Two eyed shooters also see a ghost of the barrel with their off eye.

A blade will keep you from seeing two beads but it won't block the image of the barrel you see with your off eye. If you are seeing a bead you are concentrating on the wrong thing anyway. If you are cross-dominant you will also see a billboard on the end of the barrel with your off eye.

There is a good article on this subject in Frank Hoppe's "Quick Shots" in the latest issue of Trap and Field Magazine. If you know someone who gets it, borrow the mag and read that article.

MK

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

It could help and is certainly worth trying. They are not expensive.

Pat Ireland

5. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Having cross dominance problems, I contend the blinder is a definte help.

Robert

6. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Works for some but not for others. Can't hurt to try!!

7. skipsor

skipsor Member

The short answer is YES. I use them on four of my guns and my scores have gone up
    4-5 birds per round. I am a left handed shooter with right eye dominance. Try one, I think you will like it.

8. 9103997

9103997 TS Member

Just curious if some one could please explain what a blade is exactly ? This is a new term to me and I am just curious what it is . Thanks

9. H82MIS

H82MIS TS Member

Check it out,,, highly recommended,,,

If its good enough for Harlen,,,well,,,,,,,,,

10. E. Beaver

E. Beaver Member

I tried the blade or sight blocker but did not like my eye occassionally looking at it instead of the target. I wanted something that would not disrupt the "look" of the front bead.

Here is what I did. Went to the local hobby store and purchased a foot long 3/16" od X .156 id aluminum tube and a package of 5 minute epoxy.

The tube was cut to 3" long and painted black on the inside and outside. An 1/8" wide strip of paint was removed where the tube contacts the rib.

Position the tube about 1/2" back from the front bead and epoxy to the center of the rib.

The 1/2" allows light to hit the front bead but prevents the non shooting eye from seeing the front bead. You can temporally attach it with black tape to see how it looks befor using the epoxy.

If you change your mind he epoxy can be removed with a plastic scraper and will not mar or mark your rib.

Works for both left and right hand shooters and the front bead looks very much the same as it did before the tube was added.

Charlie

11. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

The Meadow Industries sight blockers are a heck of a lot longer than they need to be.

Bend a piece of file card to duplicate the blocker, blacken it with a Sharpie and experiment with length/position until you have find the shortest workable length.

MK

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.