1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Blackpwder rifle trouble

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jimborn, Dec 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimborn

Jimborn TS Member

I pulled a dandy this morning. I stripped the threads in my flash hole with my nipple by over tightening it. Anything I can do??

2. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Yeah, Use it as an excuse to buy a new encore with the speed breech. If that doesn't work, You might be able to install a musket nipple.

Jim

3. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

If its a inline that uses 209 primers don't try a percussion nipple as there not hot enough to ignite Pyrodex pellets.

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

As low as those pressures are, there may be a Helicoil that will work.

If they make it in that size.

Or check the maker for another breech plug.

HM

5. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

If it is a sidelock, traditional style, you might be able to drill out and tap for a musket nipple....hopefully the hammer will still be large enough to smack it. If it is an inline, you'll need a new breech plug.

Older models of traditional rifles used a drum screwed into the barrel and the nipple was screwed into it. Replace drum and get a new nipple.

Need more information to accurately prescribe remedy.

good luck

stan

6. chipking

chipking TS Member

Been awhile since I was there but Dixie Gun Works used to sell oversize nipples for just this reason. They are usually standard tap sizes so you just retap with the next larger size and put in the new nipple.

--- Chip King ---

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Dixie Gun Works has 5 pages of nipples. You can get one with the drum and all for less than the shipping, almost.

HM

8. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

If the threads are truly stripped out, going up a size or two on nipples won't do the trick as the nipples are sized up in about .005" sizes based on pitch diameter. I've used them to replace nipples that got loose but not for stripped out threads. 1/4-28 is the standard nipple size for sidehammer muzzleloaders. Might be someone making 5/16" (musket size thread, I think). I've had nipples for musket thread that take a standard #11 cap. Depends on what you have left for material to work with. Don't compromise, regardless of what conventional wisdom says, these guns work at the same or higher pressures as modern shotguns (over 10K psi). Nothing to screw with, no pun intended.

9. Hydra

Hydra TS Member

Did you strip the threads out of the barrel or did you strip the threads off the nipple? I have stripped the threads off things before and the bolt or male item lost the threads so all I had to do was to clean out the hole and those threads were fine. Get yourself a tap and see if you can't clean out the barrel thread of metal. it might work and be cheaper.

10. Hydra

Hydra TS Member

I have also put anti-sez on the thread when putting it back together. It helps when taking things apart and putting it back together.

11. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

If it is a 1/4-28 nipple, Dixie does carry 5/16-24 nipples which are used on the Enfield rifle. They also have nipples in .260-28 .265-28 .270-28 .275-28 and .285-28 The trouble might be getting a tap. You might get away with .005 OS if the pitch is the same. Without anymore info on your problem we are just shooting in the dark.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

musket nipple demensions

musket nipple flash hole size