1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

blacklab dog problem

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by birdtracker, Nov 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. birdtracker

birdtracker Active Member

my 3 year old black lab has started licking her front paws very often. She is kept indoors most of the time but does go out and run in the yard. I took her to the vet and he thought maybe it was an allergy and gave her some shots and pill, with no help. I had asked one time before about her shaking her head as if she has mites and that her ears look irritated (red) and this still seems to come and go. Any help would be appreciated. Its a sad day when you come home from work and the pet is in distress. Thanks. Don

2. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Don: Our yellow lab did the same things your dog is doing. He licked his front paws many times during the day. He did this for years and to tell you the truth we never did figure out why. (We took him to many vets; believe me). The shaking of the head is not unusual for labs. Our current black lab does this . However our yellow lab did it many times during the day. It was due to "build up" in his ears. We cleaned his ears constantly with a solution we obtained from our vet. (It was worse in the summer months during high humidity). We kind of felt that the licking of his paws were partly due to arthritis; because as he got older he did this more than when he was young. Most times dogs will lick an area that is irritating them. I will agree that all vets are not created"equal". (Neither are doctors for humans)! Do some research and find the vet that you feel comfortable with. That is the key; for you and your "buddy". Another thing you can do is "Google" up several pet health websites on the net. These can give you valuable information. Another tidbit of advice; As your lab gets older consider placing him on a daily dose of "Glucosamine-Chondroiten". This helped our yellow lab for many years. You can get it at WalMart. Labs are notorious for joint problems to include hip dysplasia. Ed

3. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

where are you located? someone might be able to point to a vet they have confidence in

regards from Iowa

Gene

4. nspktr1

nspktr1 TS Member

OK guys, you going to think I'm crazy. My dog did this also. He drove us crazy at night licking his paws. Finally took him to same vet that takes care of my schnauzers. She said he had a 'YEAST' infection between his toes. Gave him the proper meds and a little ointment and in two weeks it was gone.

I know I'm not going to hear the end of this.

5. nukinfuts

nukinfuts TS Member

Bird tracker, trust me on this one! I have a 7 year old black lab.She had the same problem.The vet recomended Derm Caps (google it) it worked like magic.The chewing on the feet was gone! She had the same problem with the shaking of her ears. He also recomended: A solution of 2 parts Alcohol 1 part white vinegar.This breaks down the wax build up in the ear. try to let it soak in his ear for a little while.This also worked for her.And the vet only charged me $85.00 for this tid bit of info.Geeeeze Bill

6. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

I have 2 10 yr old labs with some of the same problems. A good and inexpensive ear cleaner is betadine and water mix. Flush warm with a ketchup style squirt bottle with a nozzle. Follow up with clear warm water.

I had spaniels years ago and Its the only thing that cured the problem. They tolerated it well but you may need help if your dogs are large. My yellow had ear hemotomas where the ear filled with blood. The vet said this happens if the dogs ears strike something while shaking.

Also examine toenails for exessive length. Feet licking seems normal to mine although not exessive.

I agree with champ ll all vets are not equal. Best of luck Gerald

7. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

My 12 yr old choco Lab licks his paws sometimes, really his wrist, 4 inches up from his pads, for no apparent reason, when I yell at him to stop he does, I think it is just a nervous habit, I don't know why, he is as FAR from nervous as possible. He also seems to get ear infections regularly, get some Oti Clear, squirt some in, and swab it out. He also suffers from sensitive eyes-Frank C.

8. Shotgun Specialties

Shotgun Specialties Active Member

Don, we also breed and show labs at Lab Specialties across the country and Canada. We have 35 labs here at the moment. From time to time we see this. Normally it is indigitous sists that grow in the webbing between the toes. It is kinda like atheletes foot, but in pimple form. It could be a yeast infection also, due to the feet and ears at the same time. Have you changed food or treats? The cheeper Walmart brand dog bones and OlRoy foods contain alot of wheat, We feed strictly Diamond Dog food and bones and got away from all of the wheat/yeast problems. To cure the sist problem, simply give 1-50mg of Zinc pill with food for 10-14 days and it will be gone, pain will ease after the 1st day or two. Hope this helps.
    Doug @ Shotgun Specialties

9. Shotgun Specialties

Shotgun Specialties Active Member

Don, we also breed and show labs at Lab Specialties across the country and Canada. We have 35 labs here at the moment. From time to time we see this. Normally it is indigitous sists that grow in the webbing between the toes. It is kinda like atheletes foot, but in pimple form. It could be a yeast infection also, due to the feet and ears at the same time. Have you changed food or treats? The cheeper Walmart brand dog bones and OlRoy foods contain alot of wheat, We feed strictly Diamond Dog food and bones and got away from all of the wheat/yeast problems. To cure the sist problem, simply give 1-50mg of Zinc pill with food for 10-14 days and it will be gone, pain will ease after the 1st day or two. Hope this helps.
    Doug @ Shotgun Specialties

10. bigben1

bigben1 TS Member

Doug,
    Good points about the food & treats. Our choculate had the licking problem also, gal at the pet store said to switch to food with no corn in it, actually solved the problem. Yellow lab ate the same food with no problem.
    Denny

11. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Hey Frank C. How much for that brown Lab? Boy hes a sweetheart. Havent had a choclate. Any comments? Thanks Gerald

12. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Frankc: I know what your saying. Believe me when it comes time for him to leave you; it will be the worst day of your life. Our yellow lab loved people and especially kids. When he succumbed to cancer; it was like losing a family member. Enjoy your buddy while you can. Ed

13. birdtracker

birdtracker Active Member

I just want to thank everyone for their advice. Hopefully she will be on the mend soon. She rules the house and is one of the best dogs I have had. The best I ever had was a springer that could do all the regular tricks, sit, stay, roll over, BACK UP, stop, to close back up, come closer. And for the icing on the cake, when you played ball or threw snowballs at her, she would jump up on her back feet and catch with her front feet. I think she watched football when she was a pup! Ed you are right, they are like family. My wife cryed for days when she passed. Thanks again everyone. Don Blankenship

14. nukinfuts

nukinfuts TS Member

Frank C: Is that guy in the orange coat peeing in the snow?

15. Frank C

Hey nukinfuts.....you PIG, that "guy" is my 12 yr old daughter!!lol!

I shot today and a guy at the club had the sweetest little 9 week old Chocolate Lab, man if I had some treats I may have lured him back to the truck and screwed.....

16. MX/MT

MX/MT TS Member

frank c,

Why would you do that to the guy just for having a puppy??

I won't even ask what kind of treats you use to lure a guy to your truck....

17. Frank C