1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BlackCloud & BlackCloud Choke Tubes

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Spanky, Jan 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Long time hunter and shooter that's a newbie (2 seasons) to duck hunting. My season is winding down but I'm making plans for next season already. I bought two boxes of BlackCloud shells to pattern and use next season. I don't have the time to properly do the paperwork now to see patterns.

Can someone tell me what to expect from using the aftermarket BC dedicated tubes vs. in my case the Benelli factory tubes. I don't have an issue buying them if needed or recommended. My main concern is safety and getting the most out of the BC shells in range, pattern quality and lethality. I'll buy the aftermarket tube from the get-go if you guys suggest it before I even beguin to put them on paper.

Duck hunters thanks for your opinions.

2. threedeuces

threedeuces TS Member

My understanding is the black cloud shot has a ring around it and kind of looks like Saturn. That ring has some sharp edges that causes it to tare the hell out of some metal that chokes are made of. The big thing with water fowl chokes is to get them to throw as tight as pattern as they can get. The tighter extended chokes that some manufactures make (like pattern master) will be ruined by the black cloud shot. Anyway, that's the drift of it and I hope it helps and good luck with your choices.

3. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Instead of buying the cheap steel stuff and special choke tubes, spend your hunting money wisely and obtain the Remington HD waterfowl loads.

Early season ducks (Teal & Woodies) I use 7-1/2's

Late season ducks I use 6's with the last (or 3rd shot if needed) I load a # 4.

I strickly use 2-3/4" # 4 HD for geese all season.

Curt

4. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I have limited use of Black Cloud but frankly I'm not impressed. I find lower recoil and more success on ducks at closer range using Kent Fasteel #3 @ 1550 ft/sec with a Browning Invector IM Choke tube. Hevi-shot worked very well too but it sure was pricey.

5. Dr. Honk

Dr. Honk Member

I am with Miketmx on this one.

I was not impressed with the Black Cloud ammo. I bought two boxes of BBB for goose hunting. I normally shoot Kent Fasteel in BBB and it out performs the Black Cloud.

I will stick with the Kent Fasteel.

Dr. Honk

6. cafowler

cafowler Member

I shot some BC 1st year it came out and had flames coming out of my barel. 1st thought was that can't be good for the inside of the barrel. Found a spent BC wad the other day and it seems very thick and tough, so I'm not really worried about inside barrel damage much. I'd think no matter which way you go, BC w/ BC choke or just shootin some BC every now and then you'd do fine. I use Kent Fasteel most of the time, they sure seem to kill good for me, when I'm on. BB's will reach out there and touch 'em, #1's or 2's most of the time.

The way I see it, aftermarket chokes are just another product to sell. Do you really need 'em, NO, do they work better than the chokes your gun came with, MAYBE, are you more confident with them, USUALLY, is your wallet lighter, YES.

7. Bill Hom

Bill Hom TS Supporters TS Supporters

This season was my first experience with Black Cloud, 2 3/4" #4. I shoot a Super X II and chose a Briley extended Duck choke. I am much more impressed with BC than any steel loads that I had been shooting. It does however tear up the close over decoy birds. Bill Hom

8. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

I agree with Curt. Why fool around with any steel when there are much better choices? From my observations, the two shells "end up" costing the same when I shoot a Goose once with a Remington HD or HeviShot, opposed to my steel shooting buddies using 3 shots with a large percentage of cripples.

As to the BC, a couple of guys I hunt with have used them. I've seen no difference between them and any other steel shell. Also, be aware that only half of the shot load has those banded pellets.

9. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

Mixed feeling here on BC ammo. Couple of guys I hunt with a lot swear by it - another had his gun go to pieces shooting it when that monster wad used in the shell stuck in his choke tube. The scary part about the gun explosion was that he was using a choke tube that was made specifically for BC ammo! This guy is meticulous with his guns - the wad stuck in the tube ports, and the bolt, link, and carrier (he was shooting an Xtrema) were damaged. The young man standing next to him when it happened was lucky to escape with just a minor burn to the side of his face.

As for performace on ducks - I shoot cheap WALMART Winchester steel. At the 20-30 yards of 95% of our shots on ducks, I have not seen BC or HD or any other shot perform proportionally better when cost compared (at these ranges). The guys who shoot HD do not kill three times the ducks I do with cheap steel. In fact, they tend to think they can shoot further and take shots that cripple or lose birds. Not my cup of tea.

I do spend the $$ on HD when I go on guided hunts where I don't know exactly what I'm going to face. It does hit a lot harder than steel, and does pattern better at longer range.

Joe

10. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

I too purchased BLAck Cloud and was not impressed. Reason of purchase was that I ran across some size 3 shot which is to locate in my area. After 3 mornings of duck shooting this fall I have concluded from my results with cripples and penetration that I will no longer be using the stuff.

The tubes they sale for this and that to me have always been more hype from the manufacture to get in your pockets and capitalize on a new kind of ammo. I don't have extensive knowledge with waterfowl ammo but sure do with turkey ammo. So take its for what its worth.

What impressed me this year was using Hevi shot. I haven't got all caught up and all the new sure fore kill em stone dead loads that will put em dowwn to stay on the horizon, but Natchez had this stuff on sale and with the rebate, got the price down to $12 for 10 round boxes. What the heck, so I bought a case. Its sure worken on Canadas.

11. Garry

Garry Active Member

I am impressed with the performance of Black Cloud number two shot.

I shoot a stock Beretta Extrema2 with a 28 inch barrel with the stock improved cylinder chock tube that came with the gun.

This gun with the improved cylinder choke will put an honest 90-92 percent of the shot in a 30 inch pattern at 40 yards. The percentage drops 10-12 points with the stock modified choke tube.

I also have a stock SX3 with a 26 inch barrel. I have patterned all the choke tubes that came with the gun plus several other aftermarket choke tubes including those which are supposedly made for BC and the best percentage I could get was 74 percent at 40 yards.

I recommend you take the time to pattern your Benelli using the stock factory choke tubes that came with your gun to determine which shell and choke provides the best pattern.

12. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

I have never shot Black Cloud. I have read mixed reports on it. A product I tried this year was Hevi-metal. They cost me 21 dollars for a box of 25. They take some steel pellets and some hevishot pellets and mix them. I used no. 2 steel. They are no more powerful than regular no. 2 steel but with the additional hevi shot the pattern is a lot denser. The same number of pellets in the no. 2 load as a normal no. 3 steel load. They throw dense patterns of 70 percent with a modified choke and 80 percent iwth a full choke. I took them on a hunt a week ago and shot my limit killing every duck but one I shot at. My gun must not like Fasteel. I have liked them before in 3 inch no. 3 20 gauge loads but my 12 gauge was terrible with them. So bad I gave the remainder to a friend. I had pretty good luck with the cheap Winchester 1 1/8 ounce no. 3's at 1550fps. At 10 bucks a box they are great for ducks in the decoys. My favorite shells are the no. 5 hevishot I reload in 2 3/4 inch. I never ordered the hevishot this year. They will fold any duck you can hit.

13. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I bought a box of no. 2's and no. 4's. The price was right and the deal was real so I bit on it. I guess the majority of the replies would have been not to buy it but, my choices are I can find a home for it or pattern in my factory tubes and see what things look like on paper before buying a mid-range tube for BC.

My duck hunting is small time only anyway. I jumpshoot, put out small decoy spreads and try to catch some fly overs on a few local streams at this point in time. Can't say I'm trying to keep up with the Duckman. I really do enjoy it. Was looking for something different from the Remington Sportsman shells that I think are s#!t shells.

14. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

I have used black cloud and found it to have some swat, but extremely dirty. I went through 2 boxes of the hevi metal made by hevishot. That stuff patterns great and has some real knock down power. I can't stomach buying the real expensive stuff, and have never had a problem reaching the limit for the day.

15. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I dont think it kills any further at all. I forget the percentage of pellets in a shell- I think its only %15 that have the ridge- the rest are regular round steel

I will say this though- you can tell where one of the ridged pellets has hit a duck - big hole

I think that the Federal wad is ahead of the competition also from the tests I have read but I havent done my own patterning

I guess if Federal wanted to get an independent look at this they might send Neil a case- someone should suggest that- lol

regards from Iowa

Gene

16. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Being that I'm not shooting cases of ammo a season by a long shot I think I'll take the advise of greber and others and try some HD's and Kents also. I have 9 months to prep. I bought the BC and am very curious about their performance. I purchased the Carlson BC Mid-range .705 tube on-line. I can use the tube for any shot so went for it. I'm gonna work harder this upcoming waterfowl season and see if I can make things happen a bit more regularly.

One of these times I'm planning a duck trip to somewhere(??????????) and with any kind of luck I'll be able to shoot up these partial boxes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

3 or 4 blackcloud shot for ducks

black cloud choke tubes for winchester super x3

black cloud patterning

browning waterfowl forum chokes dirty bird

super x-2 black cloud choke

winchester super x-3 black cloud