1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Black Winchester AA Hulls??

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by JoeS, Mar 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoeS

JoeS TS Member

When I got home from the range yesterday and was sorting through some free dumpster-dived hulls I ran across a couple of Winchester 12GA AA hulls that were black. I've loaded for years and have seen and loaded a lot of different ones, but I had never seen black AA's. They are marked with the older style writing with the AA "boxed in" and were a handicap 7 1/2 trap load, with W-W on the brass base (Winchester Western). They are the one piece compression formed type just like the old standard ones, not the throw aways. I have only seen and loaded the red and light grey in the older ones and red and dark grey in the new style for 12GA. I figured you guys could satisfy my curiosity. Thanks, Joe.

2. JoeS

JoeS TS Member

When I got home from the range yesterday and was sorting through some free dumpster-dived hulls I ran across a couple of Winchester 12GA AA hulls that were black. I've loaded for years and have seen and loaded a lot of different ones, but I had never seen black AA's. They are marked with the older style writing with the AA "boxed in" and were a handicap 7 1/2 trap load, with W-W on the brass base (Winchester Western). They are the one piece compression formed type just like the old standard ones, not the throw aways. I have only seen and loaded the red and light grey in the older ones and red and dark grey in the new style for 12GA. I figured you guys could satisfy my curiosity. Thanks, Joe.

3. Vince McNamara

Vince McNamara Member

Those hulls are from the late 60s or early 70s.

Vince McNamara

4. Trapshooter

Trapshooter Well-Known Member

Actually middle to late 70's they were made for the super handicap loads. Todd

5. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

They also had a different configuration, stiffer, wad for reloading.

Ed Yanchok

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

They were the first "super handicap" shells I remember that were produced by any shell manufacturer. They were made in the late 1970's.

Pat Ireland

7. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I even have a few unopened full boxes of those stashed somewhere!!

8. Fast Oil

Fast Oil TS Member

Could have been 1 1/4oz International? Old wobble trap load! Think I have 1 somewhere along with a 12 & 20 ga Wanda.

9. JoeS

JoeS TS Member

Thanks for the responses guys. I kind of guessed they were from the 60's or 70's guessing by the style of writing on the hull and stampings on the base. In all the thousands of hulls I've picked up at the range and thousands upon thousands I've loaded I'm surprised I haven't run across these before. I always separate my hulls out by type so I doubt one would have slipped by me. Anyway, I'll save these with my collection of shooting stuff. Have a great one. Joe.

10. Marco Polo

Marco Polo TS Member

They were the first super Handicap shells. You loaded them with a "Winchester Handicap" wad and WW473AA powder when the regular AA's were loaded with 452AA powder. Only problem with them was they CRACKED full length after just a few loadings. Winchester guy said the black dye made the cases brittle.

11. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I had some black hulls a couple years ago and I loaded em up with the original XW Handicap wads. They broke targets alright but that wad made em kick like a mule compared to the regular AA wad. The black hulls were old and brittle and the crimp mouth split easily so I discarded them after the 2nd reload.

12. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

I have about 200 hundred of the Black AA Handicap hulls once fired. As well as about 2000 that I've loaded several time they are great at handicap but can be a bit hard on the shoulder. I shoot them out of my 1100 makes them comfortable to shoot. They reload longer than the red AAs that I've loaded over the years. I don't shoot the black for practice just when I'm in a competiton.

13. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

I shot a lot of these in my BT 99 for 16 yards back in the early 70s. ( no wonder I developed a flinch ) They were lettered "handicap" but I don't remember them saying " super handicap " I'll look through my boxes of stuff I'll never sell and see if I can find some. They were also available in 1-1/4 oz international loads back in the days when you could shoot modified international at many state shoots and the Grand? Larry Evans

14. joshif

joshif TS Member

Yes, there was an event at the Grand for Modified Trap. I don't remember if you were allowed to shoot int. loads though.It was at a mid yardage too. Maybe 19 yd? AA Handicap was the name of the shell. Came in 3dr 8's and 3dr. 7 1/2's.They also had a Red AA handicap hull with silver writing. It was the handicap shell WAY before the famous Super Handicap.I have one hull each in Red and Black. I forget the loads printed on the hulls though. I have to dig them out if anybody cares.

15. K80Dude

K80Dude Member

My Win turkey loads are black hulls but they are 3 1/2" mags, check out there web site, maybe someone was shooting copper, tungsten etc.

16. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

When I dig down in my barrel of hulls, every once in a while I come up with one of those old black AA's. Circa mid 70's, shot a bunch of them back then. Heck of a good hdcp shell. I guess I should rotate this drum a bit mor often.

Big Jack

17. JRD

JRD TS Member

I have some old Winchester AA's that are black, but mine are stamped black diamond. Has anyone seen these?

18. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

JRD, I have one 10 pack here in the collection. They were made in Italy. Not sure of the year or years.

The box is marked "target load" but from the looks of the HIGH brass base( I know that really doesn't matter) the target better have wings and be trying to get out of the ring.

AJ100

19. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Dick, I noticed that the older Red AA would split at the crimps far quicker than the AA blacks. Glad I'm not the only one that found that the hulls loaded longer. Using the blacks saved on candle wax for open crimps

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

winchester aa hulls for sale