1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Black & White

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by porky, May 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. porky

porky TS Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Days of Black and White

"Good night and God bless..." words from Red Skelton

Whoever wrote this must have been our next door neighbor because it totally described our childhood to a 'T'. Hope you enjoy it.

Black and White
    (Under age 40? You won't understand.)

You could hardly see for all the snow,
    Spread the rabbit ears as far as they go.

My Mum used to cut chicken, chop eggs and spread mayo on the same cutting board with the same knife and no bleach, but we didn't seem to get food poisoning.

Our school sandwiches were wrapped in wax paper in a brown paper bag, not in ice pack coolers, but I can't remember getting e.Coli.

Almost all of us would have rather gone swimming in the lake instead of a pristine pool (talk about boring), no beach closures then.

We all took PE ... and risked permanent injury with a pair of Dunlop sandshoes instead of having cross-training athletic shoes with air cushion soles and built in light reflectors. I can't recall any injuries but they must have happened because they tell us how much safer we are now.

We all said prayers in school and sang the national anthem, and staying in detention after school caught all sorts of negative attention.

I thought that I was supposed to accomplish something before I was allowed to be proud of myself.

I just can't recall how bored we were without computers, Play Station, Nintendo, X-box or 270 digital TV cable stations.

Oh yeah ... and where was the Benadryl and sterilisation kit when I got that bee sting? I could have been killed!

We played “King of the Hill” on piles of gravel left on vacant construction sites and when we got hurt, Mum pulled out the 48 cent bottle of mercurochrome (kids liked it better because it didn't sting like iodine did) and then we got our butt spanked.

Now it's a trip to the emergency room, followed by a 10 day dose of a $49 bottle of antibiotics and then Mum calls the Attorney to sue the contractor for leaving a horribly vicious pile of gravel where it was such a threat.
    To top it off, not a single person I knew had ever been told that they were from a dysfunctional family.

How could we possibly have known that?

We never needed to get into group therapy and anger management classes.

We were obviously so duped by so many social ills, that we didn't even notice that the entire country wasn't taking Prozac!

How did we ever survive?
  2. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Jan 29, 1998
    In the Cabana
    Joe, so true, so true

And the bad part is it is getting worse every day, the government has to run our lives, we are incapable, yeah? BS
  3. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

Aug 27, 2007
    West Central Florida
  4. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

May 15, 2006
    The words do ring true to my childhood and memory of the day. The “Black and White” aspect does not however.

It seems that the older I get the less convinced I am about the black and white part. Absolute right and wrong, correct, or always incorrect if in opposition. Age and wisdom (I hope) have garnered a less specific certainty that things are always definable by a base two paradigm—that things right and wrong can be defined as a one or zero, the yes or no language of the microprocessors in our lives.

I have become a more analog animal and see many grey areas. I’ve often been pummeled by reality when I’ve stepped out on an opinion or belief of mine I deemed absolutely correct.

Like many, I have nostalgic memories of the America I grew up in. Ironically, and thankfully, I'm also in a better place today than I was then.

Then was then, this is now. Memories can be deceiving and youthful certainty folly. Perspective has a way of changing what we remember and believe true.

I appreciate the sentiment, but do not necessarily agree with the attributed logic.

Guy Babin.
  5. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

Jan 13, 2012
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    I'm 60 and that is EXACTLY how I remember the 50's

So Sad that all went away with the evolvement of law schools.

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2006
    A good dose of back to the 50's or 60's would do this country alot of good. We are going to hell in a hand basket riding in a run away crashing air liner!
  7. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2007
    Use to be, you were shunned if you acted like a moron. Your neighbors would make an attempt to talk to you if you were causing issues. If you didn't listen, you were an island.

Now everyone is scared to get sued. We don't deal with our own anymore. We let teachers, lawyers, elected officials, and judges decide whats right or wrong.

And we wonder why our legal system is bogged down. Common sense went out the door with morals and ethics.

Hell, looked at our elected officials.

Glad I still live out in the boonies
  8. avery53

avery53 Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Northern Michigan
    You can't go home again, but you can remember what it was like. King of the hill, leg wrestling, baseball--I think we all would have walked miles for a game, school yard fights, all part of the 50's growing up experience.

Speaking of mecurachrome and iodine, my mom used mathyolate (sp), like putting liquid fire on a cut. lol

Great post

9. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Near but not in chicago
    Excellent read and very true to my memories of the 50's. So why won't a rattle snake bite a lawyer? Professional courtesy!
  10. gundog

gundog TS Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Dont forget about teachers, you know the ones turning out kids that can hardly read or write. They have done their fair share of damage!!
  11. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    My dad told me that when I was four or five I asked him when the world turned from b&w to color.

We didn't get a color TV set until 1966 or 67. And it was used.

And I remember eagerly watching the Flintstones and Johnny Quest in the evenings, because they were considered family cartoons. Also Lost in Space. The Andy Griffith Show was not in reruns yet, neither was Gunsmoke or Bonanza.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page