1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Black & white film in my 35 mm Cannon camera

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by senior smoke, May 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    I was looking at some black & white family pictures the other night. I remembered the time when my uncle use to take pictures in the 50's and 60's at family gatherings with the big camera flash bulbs and he would pop them out of the camera and they would be so hot to the touch.

Then a few years later the rage was the camera that developed pictures while you waited. I forgot the name of it, but in the Banking and appraisal industry those same cameras are being used today.

Then when color film came around I thought pictures looked so much better. After years of using 35 color film in my Cannon EOS Elan camera I decided to purchase some black and white film.

I took some pictures at some of the local gun clubs. Took some close up pictures of my elderly friends. I was pleasantly surprised when I had these pictures developed, as the pictures showed every facial feature of my shooting friends. Each line on their face represent a personal story in itself.

I liked the black and white film so much that I came up with a good idea. My wife and I were looking for some art to decorate a wall in my new home in Arizona. We were their a couple weeks ago and we came back to Wisconsin and decided to purchase some art.

The prices of art today like most anything else was ridiculous. So I came up with which I think was a good idea. I took photos of family members with black and white film and had the pictures blown up. I then framed them in black frames, with a white background. They look professional even though I am a ham n egger photographer at best with no natural ability.

If any of you would like to decorate a room with pictures, try what I did. It works fantastic even if you take a picture of you cat or dog.

Steve Balsitreri

2. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

Smoke, those black and white pics are a lot better if you would take them with a brownie hawk eye.

Bob

3. capvan

capvan Active Member

Any color picture can be turned into a black-and-white picture with any of the photo manipulation programs (photoshop, etc) out there. A lot easier than trying to find B&W film AND a place to have it processed and prints made. It's a shame, but B&W photo processing can't be taught in the schools any more because of "haz mat" problems/rules/stupidity.

cap

4. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

The instant picture camera was the Polaroid Land Camera.

Eric

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Polaroid. HMB

6. senior smoke

cap:
    I don't know much about computers and photo manipulation programs. I wish i did, would make it a lot easier and cheaper.
    Steve

Mixer:
    Polaroid Land Camera, that name escaped me. Still being used today.
    thanks,
    Steve

7. pdq

pdq Member

Steve:

both my step son's have second jobs as photgraphers, one primarily in sports, the other in weddings, portraits. They shoot everything with high end digital cameras in color, then convert it to B&W. The one that does weddings mixed in a few B&Ws when he first started because he liked them. Next thing you know, the brides were demanding them. THere's a softness / romantic quality that you can get with B&W that get ruined in color. Here's his web site -- wander around in the tab labeled Galleries to see some example shots.

www.losphoto.com

If you are experienced shooting film, your transition to digital will be pretty quick. And, there are lots of low cost photo software products out there that allow your computer to be your darkroom -- incredible flexibity. I ran a part time business 25+ years ago, all in B&W, doing all my own darkroom work. Going digital opened up an incredible world -- you can do things in a fraction of the time, and with better results.

Give it a try, or if there's a local community college nearby, see if they have any courses. Once hooked, you'll be amazed.

Pete

8. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Steve, come into the 21 century!!! I too stayed with my old 35 mm. for a long time. Now since I have a Cannon sureshot with the optical zoom, "WOW". There just is no comparison. There is just no reason to use film anymore. Digital is many times better in every single way. If my old 35mm did not break down and parts were no longer available, I too would still be using my old camera. Boy, I'm glad they stopped making parts for it. LOL. Break-em all. Jeff

9. senior smoke

Pete:
    I looked at your son's website. He does beautiful work. I liked the black and white photos too.
    Steve

Jeff:
    I also have a new digital Cannon camera that was given to me for a gift. Yes, it's easy, but I enjoy the 35 mm Cannon better. My wife says that I am fighting new technology kicking and screaming. Life would be better, if these computers were never invented. Personally, I think computers are just a fad.
    Steve

10. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

I used to take tone of B&W photos when I was in the Air Force, you could develop them at the hobby shop for almost nothing, and it was a fun thing to do right before payday when I was always broke

Had a Pentax K 1000 and later my wife bought me a Nikon FM2, the Nikon was the best camera I ever used, I bought a high end Nikon digital, can't remember the model, dumped about $2,000 on it, it's really nice, but it comes with a 200 page instruction book and it's even all in English, something about needing a 200 page instuction manual is wrong

I took some damn good pictures with the 35 mm and never needed a 200 page book to tell me how to run the camera

The biggest pisser is my ex wife stole all the B&W pics when she left, there were some good ones I took in SE Asia, that are irreplacable, and I had big box fulls

11. senior smoke

Catpower:
    I read in a photography book that more professional photographers use Nikon than any other camera. I have always purchased Cannon myself and like them. I have a friend that use to work in camera store that's a shooter. If Bazooka Joe reads this thread, maybe he can chime in on this subject of best 35mm cameras.
    Steve

12. gunut54

gunut54 TS Member

I still have my Cannon AE1....Have 2 bodies, flash and 4 different Cannon lenzes, plus filters.......used to keep one loaded with B&W and the other with color....but that was a long time ago.....

13. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Steve, really they are all good, my soon to be wife bought the Nikon FM 2 for me about 25 yrs ago, it's a real nice camera, it has titanium shutters, when alot of them used rubberized silk, it also had a fast shutter speed, 1/4000th of a second, I wish film wouldn't go away, but as with everything else nobody ever asks me LOL

I like the digital, but it has way too many buttons for my feeble old mind to comprehend and remember

I did get my wife a Nikon Coolpix, 5 Meg, when they first came out, gave $1000 for it now they are about a 1/10 of that, it takes good pictures, but I hate the pause it has before it snaps the picture, easy to miss a good action shot

14. senior smoke

There are some excellent buys on ebay for 35 mm cameras.
    Steve

15. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I still use my 35mm gear. Have a lot of expensive lenses that would cost a fortune to replace. So I have the film developed and scanned to disc.

For scenic work, especially for large prints, I use a medium format camera. Digital still lags behind it. Some day it may catch up, but I doubt it will have the subtle color transitions.

Still don't have a digital camera of my own, though I use them a fair amount. Gave a nice one to my wife and borrow it from time to time. I need to get a small pocket digital to take hunting and wheeling. If I can find an adapter to mount some of my telephoto lenses on a digital body I'd be happy.

16. hoffman06

hoffman06 Member

Yep all this new stuff is just a fad, like smokeless powder is.
    Carey

17. EE

EE Banned User Banned

Yeah, black and white pictures are so cool, that's why all the new TV's and computer monitors are all B&W. NOT.

B&W was OK back when B&W was all that was available.

18. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I fail to see the relationship between color TVs and computer monitors to B&W photography. Apples and oranges.

19. DanLee

DanLee Member

I still use my Ricoh Singlex which I bought in 1968. It has a Copal metal shutter which doesn't get old and crack like the rubberized cloth shutters. Speed is still right on, too. Only problem is finding batteries for the exposure meter since they're no longer making the mercury type which had a very steady output. Since I got a hand-held light meter, I don't worry about it. I only use B&W film, either the old type or the stuff that can be processed on C-41 equipment which is everywhere.

Dan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.