1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

black walnut trees

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by kolared person, Apr 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kolared person

kolared person TS Member

Our club is short on cash. There are a number of black walnut trees on the property. How would you go about determining their value?

2. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

Call your county or state extension agent if you have one.

jim brown

3. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

If you have enough footage, and do decide to sell, certainly get more than one bid from timber buyers.

4. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

Veneer trees, trees with no branches in the first 40 feet and normally over 22" diameter, are the most valuable. You could try the US Forestry Div. if there is a local agency. They will sometimes stop out and give you advice, however I heard they have been directed to be cautious giving anyone estimates or advise. If you have alot of trees, hire a tree consultant. He will lead you to the most competitive bidders, and increase your profit for a nominal fee.
    Last year I sold 120 trees (mostly ash and oak), my consultant fee was 2%, but he got me an extra 30% with a competitve bid package. Black walnuts are selling good right now.

5. Frosty Mug

Frosty Mug TS Member

There is a sawmill in Sanger, Texas called "Woods of Mission" The owner is Bob Pugh and he travels all over looking for wood to purchase. I have know him for many years and he is honest. He can probably tell what it is worth. His office phone number is (940) 458-4750. Dwight Crawford Sr.

6. rosies dad

rosies dad Member

The deal killer is if these trees were ever in a fence line (wire grew in wood) or were yard trees. Kids are famous for driving nails and other Iron in trees.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.