1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Black walnut barn beams

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by JB Logan Co. Ohio, Mar 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

A friend of mine (non-shooter) is going to be tearing down an old barn in my vicinity (Ohio). He has been told that the beams are black walnut and are about 14-16inches thick. Length is unlknow at this time but I would imaging they would be long lengths. Are these beams suitable for stocks? If there is interest and they might make good looking wood they could be available. Looking for info on this. Who's the expert? Please chime in. Thanks.

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

2. T/C

T/C TS Member

Have them cut into 1" boards, then a finish plane. Your looking at some big bucks. A solid walnut china cabinet or "anything" is worth a small fortune.

3. JLW

JLW TS Member

I suspect the beams are too straight grained to have any value for stocks and material like that can be found easily.

I wonder too if they are cracked/checked from initial poor drying conditions and stress/load.

Too, they may be full of nails and dirt causing damage to saw and planer blades.

I believe most of the value to be in utilizing the material for home construction; fireplace mantels and such so check around for use there.-Jerald

4. JB Logan Co. Ohio

A friend of mine (non-shooter) is going to be tearing down an old barn in my vicinity (Ohio). He has been told that the beams are black walnut and are about 14-16inches thick. Length is unlknow at this time but I would imaging they would be long lengths. Are these beams suitable for stocks? If there is interest and they might make good looking wood they could be available. Looking for info on this. Who's the expert? Please chime in. Thanks.

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

5. T/C

T/C TS Member

Have them cut into 1" boards, then a finish plane. Your looking at some big bucks. A solid walnut china cabinet or "anything" is worth a small fortune.

6. JLW

JLW TS Member

I suspect the beams are too straight grained to have any value for stocks and material like that can be found easily.

I wonder too if they are cracked/checked from initial poor drying conditions and stress/load.

Too, they may be full of nails and dirt causing damage to saw and planer blades.

I believe most of the value to be in utilizing the material for home construction; fireplace mantels and such so check around for use there.-Jerald

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

You just don't know till you check it out.

Expertise is needed here, hope you find somone in your area.

HM

8. guncase

guncase TS Member

when one hears that Walnut trees are valuable,, it is sometimes true. "My neighbor got $1500.00 for one" What they don't tell you is that it was 20 feet to the first blemish and Veneer quality!! Then they have a stumpy fenceline scrub that they think is worth $1500. also! I cut Timber in the 1960s , lots of walnut, and it takes a nice tree to bring the money! A log 10 ft long and 16" in diameter has 90 bd ft in it,, a "clean" log will bring $2.00 a ft.
    It has to be a great tree to bring lots of money!
    If I had only dug out the stumps,, I would now be a rich man! Paul

9. Bawana

Bawana TS Member

You would want to have them cut 1 1/4 thick. As wide as you can. You can always cut them down but you can not make them wider unless you glue them. I have always like tables that had a one piece board with all matching grain in it.

10. grammie

grammie TS Member

Use them for stocks hell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You have a small fortune,,and you don't know it!!!!

Its called "distressed wood",,,and people will pay a mint of money for that wood!!!

Each beam cut into veneer strips might be worth as much as 8 to 10 thousand per beam!!!!

Forget shooting!!!! Go for the money!!!!!!!!!

AKA Grammie..........

11. JB Logan Co. Ohio

Thought I would check with those who might know. Thanks for the effort.

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

In my area rough cut cherry, red oak, maple and walnut are the same price. Old beams are most likely stress cracked and worth less than new lumber. The beams are very nice for fireplace mantels but there is a lot of work with a planer before the boards can be used.

I would suggest that the highest value of the beams would be for reuse as stressed beams in new log construction.

Pat Ireland

13. Timber1

Timber1 TS Member

Barn beams of this age are likely "old growth timber". These older trees have more growth rings per inch than most of the trees that are cut today. Some people seek this type of wood out to do restorations on antique furniture as it is harder to find this type of matching wood.

14. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

8 to 10 thousand per beam?? I doubt it very much. Most log buyers are as honest as your average here today, gone tomorrow used car lot. Get the cash in your hand from whoever has the most. Larry

15. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

Bill Gates $60,000,000 cabin on Lake Washington used 90 year-old douglas fir beams from a local torn down sawmill storage building - which was the only source of materials of the size required. Probably ruin the resale value of the place when the word gets out that it's built with used materials.

16. JB Logan Co. Ohio

I just got a 30X40 secondary garage/workshop put up and the same person that is tearing down the black walnut beamed barn tore down one on his property and sold me some barn siding for the interior of my building, 12 in. wide by as long as 12 ft. The weathered wood is outstanding on the inside of the garage. A few more days and it will be finished. When I get the loading bench built I'll snap a shot of it and post.

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

17. Big Bopper

Big Bopper TS Member

There's an outfit in Waco, TX that dismantles old barns and restores them for sale. I believe they are called Historic Restorations. You might do a search on the web and check with them. They bring in buildings from all over the country. Just a thought. Bob

18. guncase

guncase TS Member

GRAMMIE,,,, IS THAT AN OFFER TO BUY????????

19. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

there is an outfit in Mass. that slavages old tomber framed structures...they were featured on PBS's "This Old House" a few years ago where they had dismantled an old sawmill in Washington state and shipped the timbers by rail back east, resawed them and were using some in adding a spectacular post and beam library onto the back of a house...neat stuff!!

20. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

Buddy of mine used old beams for hardwood flooring in his new log home.

Gives a nice rustic look and the old nail holes add even more character.

Looks very nice, I bet there might be a market for your wood.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
black walnut barn
black walnut beam
trading black walnut for barn

walnut barn beam

walnut beams ohio