1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Black Rim Targets

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by shootsome, Dec 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shootsome

shootsome Member

What is the best color of glasses to wear when shooting black rim targets?

2. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

It really depends on your eyes and the background. Whatever brings out the orange as much as possible (for you).

3. shootsome

shootsome Member

Usually it's black rim targets on a green background. I have a tough time seeing them.

4. recurvyarcher

I use a rose colored lens for that (in DECOT), but I have tried a strange, dark green one (borrowed from a friend who wears Rangers) that really made the orange POP.

Try different lenses until you find the correct one for you. The vendors at the larger shoots are really nice about letting you take a look at the targets.

5. dr.beav

dr.beav Member

That's easy - lets ban those darn black rim "New York" targets and break them all in transit -- maybe we can make a rule that they have to be shipped FedEx - that should do it 0-0---- the beav

6. recurvyarcher

LOL on the FEDEX comment!

7. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Black rim targets are fine,you can really tell the face presentation of the targets thrown, I use Desert Glow (Post 4) when I shoot at them, just ordered a set of Rangers with CMT lenses---should make the targets really pop.

Lou

8. tuscarora 99

tuscarora 99 TS Member

The dark green lenses are the cmt's. They work very very well for ornage targets against green or sky backgrounds.

9. LWLarson

LWLarson Member

That was the situation where I shoot league... The color recommended by Decot was VLite... (purple/pink..) I do like them... I went with a mid range shade, as I would agree with the statement above about using as light as possible before squinting... I like them on our pine tree/hardwoods background... The work pretty well for me too with a sky background....

LWL

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

Black rim targets are excellent against a sky background. Against other backgrounds, there are better target colors to use.

Pat Ireland

11. kolar12

kolar12 Member

OK. How about all orange targets with a snow on the ground background and a bleak grey sky? That is what our club is throwing and no one can hit them. They just streak. Ideas?

12. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

The black rim is NOT what you should be looking at to enhance on a orange dome-black rim target. The "contrast" of the two colors [ orange and black ] will always be there. What you should be doing is finding the lens color that will dull the backround and enhance the orange on the target. This is the correct way to find the BEST lens for you. The orange dome black rim target is the BEST out there to shoot at. Get your lens dialed in and do not look back.

GS

13. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Black rimmed targets are probably why averages in the East are lower than in the West.

14. phirel

phirel TS Member

kolar12- I shot against a snow background once. I don't think any target color would work well. So much glare from the snow.

Pat Ireland

15. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

For me the purple/pink seems the best. I find however this color combo works well with alot of target presentations.

kolar12, the all orange target gives a deceptive streak in the best of conditions. I can't imagine why a club would throw this color against an all white background! Well I guess there is one reason!!!

16. SR1

SR1 TS Member

kolar12 I use light purple from ranger for solid orange in the winter it works for me.

17. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Frank Little always said that black rimmed targets statistically produced higher scores. Since he missed so few in his long career how would he know!!

18. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I have shot my best scores ever on a bright sunny day with all orange White Flyers against a green grass or green tree background. IMHO a solid black no paint target is easier to see on gray sky snow covered backgrounds.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.