1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Black Rem Hulls

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Jimborn, Jul 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimborn

Jimborn TS Member

I was checking out those black Rem hulls, and they seem to be a fairly sturdy hull that looks to be a good reloadable "throw a way" Any experience and what data is used????? Thanks

2. oletymer

oletymer Member

Use them like any other Remington hull. I have used some and they are good.

3. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Similar to Gun Club shells. The times I've used them, they have reloaded fine.

Watch out, though. Some have 6-point crimp, some have 8-point.

4. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

Load them,same as STS or NITRO. GOOD LUCK

5. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

They are exactly the same as gun clubs and reload just as well. I have some that I have reloaded over 10 times and they still are in good shape. As others said, they use the same data as STS or NITRO.

6. mike b.

mike b. Member

Hey you guys! If you let the word out on these beautiful hulls, people are going to start charging for them!! The black and green Remingtons are terrible, so throw all in my shell bag and I'll dispose of them for you!

7. Lkn4rocks

Lkn4rocks TS Member

Regardless of color of all recent manufactured Remington hulls, the interior volume and construction of the plastic portion is identical. Only difference (other than the color) between them and STS's is steel instead of brass on the exterior, this creates more ware on the sizing die of your reloader & if using a manual press requires an increase in effort on your part in operating the handle.

8. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

As long as they are NOT the UMC branded hulls that are similar to the RIOs, they can be used with Remington STS/Nitro/Gun Club data. They load pretty well and give adequate performance. The UMC branded shells are of different manufacture and are a different hull. I would recommend against reloading those.

9. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Lkn4rocks,

I've reloaded a lot of gunclubs/sport hulls along with STS's. The only difference that I feel, while loading on my 9000G, is that the ribbed hulls(Gunclubs,sport) pull a little harder through the crimping stages. I may be wrong about this, as I am human, but just my observation.

ec90t

10. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

they are as tough as they come. More so than the STS

11. Lkn4rocks

Lkn4rocks TS Member

ec90t,

I don't think it's just the crimping stage where it gets hard on your 9000G with the Remington promotional / Gun Club hulls but in combination with the collet squeezing the steel instead of the brass of the STS's.

They, (Promotional Black Remington Hulls), are exceptionally good hulls and I use them along with the Gun Club hulls as my main stay for reloading.

12. trappermike

trappermike Well-Known Member

It was mentioned once, but I recommend checking for a 6 point crimp. I was set up for an 8 point crimp and got some pretty ugly crimps and larger diameter thqt didn't function well in an 1100. They shot fine in my Citori.

Mike

13. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

After 5 years, the damn steel bases finally broke a collet on my 9000.

but 28 bucks aint bad for a boatload of free empties.

HM

14. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

halfmile

I broke a collet finger once and it was used almost exclusively with brass. It takes a lot of use and abuse to break a collet.

15. dennis (nj)

dennis (nj) Guest

I notice that the 6 point climp hulls don`t last as long as the regular 8 pt black or green hulls . They are steel base so of course they run harder thru most machines . Why anyone would use them more than once is beyond me since they are all over after every shoot but I prefer STS Green and Gold hulls . Much smoother on my 366 .

16. Lkn4rocks

Lkn4rocks TS Member

I'm glad that someone finally admitted that these hulls with steel bases require a little more effort during the reloading process in a progressive machine.

As far as the difference in longevities of 6 or 8 point hulls I've found that there is really none. I load both in mine, without any change in setup, until the pedals of the crimp start coming apart then I throw them away. I just about stopped buying new shells because of the abundance of these hulls but I still prefer the STS type hulls.

17. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

I can't tell the difference in my MEC progressive. I just press the petal on the hydraulic pump as usual.

18. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

I can't tell the difference between the steel and brass with my RCBS either. They load great and shoot great. RG

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.