1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Black Powder reloading Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Mikecon2, Mar 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mikecon2

Mikecon2 Member

A friend who is blind (yes) reloads 12ga Black powder using a manual Lee reloader. He would like to get a nice finished crimp on the shotshell. Can anyone advise where he might be able to purchase a manual final crimp?
    Thanks

2. jhoward

jhoward Member

Maybe buy a older, cheap single stage press and remove all of the dies except the crimp stages?

3. Mikecon2

Mikecon2 Member

4. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

It is kind of bizzare - a blind guy loading ammo? Does he shoot it too?

Always though it would be fun to go on a quail hunt with Stevie Wonder ....

5. Franklin

Franklin TS Member

please do not use a reloading press to measure the black powder or it could go boom. sorry, just the dad in me.

6. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

'Lee Loader' ... like this one?

goatskin_2009_240615.jpg

It will crimp just fine, and you really don't need the crimp starters, but you have to play with it a while to get a 'feel'.

If he is using a loading block, and doing batch operations, he will knock out perfect shells in no time, at all.

OTOH, if he is using a Lee Load-All, he can automate the process, some, and get perfect crimps, but I don't think their thimbles are big enough to drop 55-80gn of Holy Black, so he would have to dip, anyhow.

I load my BP bullets (and virtually all of my duck & goose bullets) on a Lee Loader, and do both star- and roll-crimps.

Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.