1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Black powder question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tatersaled, Dec 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tatersaled

tatersaled TS Member

Does anyone have a black powder load what might work good on the 16 yard line with modern wads and primers? I’ve got a few friends that want to talk about the big hits and smoke on the 16 so I’m going to give them the smoke.

2. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

Yes - I shoot alot of black playing around. Rule of thumb, 27.5gr FFG per dram equilivent to smokeless.I have loaded Fed Papers, 209's and fiber wads (Circle Fly is a source, check their web site). I have never shot any plastic wads and wonder what black powder will do to them. I suspect the base would melt away. I thought it interesting that with 1 1/8 od shot the velocities were approx 1100 with 80 gr 2fg, 1150 with 85 gr 2fg and 1200 with 90 gr 2fg. These were the speeds that todays standards were set with and they still hold true. You really need to try these, they are a hoot and really work. I load #5 Bismuth and duck hunt with a hammer gun. We also loaded a 8ga with 36" barrels and took a turkey at 40 yards a year or so back. 120 gr 2fg and 2oz #4. .039 constriction in each barrel and shot excellent patterns.
    You will never see a look of surprise to match dropping one of these shells in someones bag during a practice secession and letting them shoot one without knowing what is going to happen! I had a friend throw a 1100 down after shooting a high one on a skeet field!

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Is there any published load data for blk powder in scatterguns??

4. SARGE75X

SARGE75X Member

Knight Muzzle Loading makes a BP shotgun. Its a 12ga and shoots a 2 1/2 oz load and is supposed to be the Ultimate Turkey Buster.

5. tatersaled

tatersaled TS Member

6. jamiebanker

jamiebanker Member

Did you shoot this load in a "modern" shotgun? Over & Under? I shot a lot trap with a muzzle loader when I was a teenager. Actually won a junior national trap championship at Friendship, Indiana when I was 15. Never thought about shooting BP in a plastic hull from a modern gun.

Jamie

7. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Somehow plastic wads and black powder just don't get along. A few shots won't gum everything up too bad but shoot a box and you'll have stringy goo coming out on your brush for a long time. Always....always clean with hot soapy water, rinse, dry and oil. We used to say, for a long lived black powder barrel, "clean every day for a week, every week for a month, every month for a year." Kind of overkill but it means you really need to take a look every now and then to be sure you didn't leave a tiny bit of that hygroscopic crap in there to cause rusting and pits.

Black powder is fun. Fun and stinky. If you shoot it all day, you'll find your own exhaust smells like sulphur.

8. wm rike

wm rike Member

The usual routine is equal volumes of powder and shot - I use 80grs. in brass or paper cases It's mild but gets the job done. Avoid plastics if you can. Plastic and black powder don't mix well. Black will toast a plastic hull in two or three firings and, as Savage pointed out, pushing more than two or three plastic wads with black powder will leave a gooey, stringy mess the full length of the barrel. If you can't put up with all the mess and stench that goes with black powder and lean toward the black substitutes, may as well just belly up to the ultimate substitute which goes by the name of "smokeless."

9. sammyd95

sammyd95 TS Member

I use 70 gr pyrodex,waa12r wad,1-1/8oz 7.5's in my bt 99.dont shoot them only on occasion,and yes they do melt the wad base,thats why I dont shoot them often,takes a lot of cleaning !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

black powder trap shooting

blackpowder trap shooting