1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Black powder pistol

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Old Confederate, Aug 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Old Confederate

Old Confederate TS Member

I am not a regular BP shooter but I have a reproduction 1851 Navy. I have shot it a few times and I use Bore Butter on top of the bullet. If I am going to shoot a lot I use one of them new fangled cartridge revolvers. Larry

2. hoffman06

hoffman06 Member

I always used Crisco but darn near anything like that will work.
    Carey

3. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

Use Crisco, it's really that simple. The ball should be a tight enough fit that you shave a little ring of lead when you ram it home. Cover each chamber mouth with a layer of Crisco. Not only does this prevent chain-fires (very bad) but it also keeps the fouling soft enough that the cylinder will be able to turn freely. Another tip, as you cock the gun for the second and following shots, tip the barrel straight up in the air as you pull back the hammer. This lets the spent cap fall free so that it doesn't jam up the works.

4. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Crisco, like omgb said.

5. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

An alternative is the Ox-Yoke Wonder Wads. They go on top of the powder and under the ball. That eliminates the need for the grease. Criso is the grease of choice. Make sure you eat before you shoot, since the odor of burning Crisco will make you hungry. One quick word. Be sure that the ball is seated on top of the powder without any air space.

6. SF SGM

SF SGM Member

Crisco works well. Some chain fires happend not from fire jumping from the fron of one cylinder to the next but occurs on the primer/nipple end. Make sure your nipples are in good shape and tight. I use a LeMat sometimes when reenacting and it is the worst to chain fire especially when I fire the bottom or shotgun barrel. Now, I shoot the top 9 first and then the shotgun barrel.

7. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

"tip the barrel straight up in the air as you pull back the hammer"

IF YOU DO THIS, MAKE DAMN SURE YOUR THUMB DOESN'T SLIP!!!!

8. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

As a very long time BP shooter (30 + years) I want to be sure that you keep this in mind. Never use a petroleum based lube with BP. Stick with bee's wax, animal fat or vegetable shortening. the use of petro based lubes will creat a hard black fouling that will destroy accuracy and make cleaning a real PITA.

9. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

Here's another vote for Crisco. Also, if it becomes difficult to cock the hammer because the cylinder doesn't want to rotate, due to fouling, STOP. Don't force the cylinder to rotate by cocking the hammer. You will bend/break the cylinder hand and ruin the timing of the gun.

When the cylinder stops rotating easily, stop shooting and clean the cylinder, especially the chamber mouth areas.

Cap and ball revolvers are a lot of fun to shoot...I still enjoy mine after ten years of steady use (1858 Remington).

Jef

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.