1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Black Powder Load by request

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by omgb, Apr 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

Base on the PM's I've received, I think some of you might be interested in an effective BP load I've worked out for my 16. The load is a 21/2 inch load over-all based on a typical federal purple case.

1. I use a trimmer to cut the case to 25/8"
    2. I size and prime on my DL155
    3. I load 77 grains of 2F BP by weight (about 82 by volume)
    4. Top with a 1/8 Circle Fly nitro card
    5. add 1/2" lubed circle fly cushion wad (some cases will require a 3/4" wad)
    6. top that with an over shot card (helps to keep the seater from cutting into the wad)
    7. dump 1 oz. of #8 shot from the DL's hopper
    8. cover with over shot card
    9. Using a drill press with a preset depth, I roll crimp using an old Lyman roll crimp tool head.

You can get two, maybe 3 reloads out of these. Two is more likely. If you use Pyrodex, you will have to be careful about the seating pressure. Pyro compresses a lot and you could wind up with a hull that is too short.

These work in all side by side guns that I know of. Recoil is harsh but, over the chrony these clocked in at 1175 fps average. That's right at a 23/4 dram load. You can add another 10 grains by weight and be up to a 3 dram load.

One thing to watch. I've given you the weight equivalents for BP. Do not use these weights for Pyrodex, it's much lighter and the charge will be too heavy. Weigh the BP charge, dump it into a volume measure and then set it and lock it in. Now use that for measuring your Pyrodex charges. I used a Belding and Mull because of the huge hopper. I also have an old Ideal #9 with brass drums that I have used successfully as well. I also made a scoop out of a cut down hull and it works just as well.

2. Mapper

Mapper Member

Many years ago, I had an L C Smith 10 bore with wire bbls. Shot 150gr. FF and 1.875oz. copper plated #2s, all in brass cases. That thing was a duck slayer.

3. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Glad to see you aren't recommending plastic wads. We used to hold regular black powder trap matches and once in a while some guy would show up with his "killer" loads using a WAA12 red wad and three drams of black. After fifteen or twenty shots he'd be pushing out strands of plastic goo.

I used Federal papers, three drams by volume of FFg, a .135 card and a Feltan Blue Streak wad (old lubed felt)....B wad on top (frangible) and a roll crimp.

Spray a little windex or blacksolve down the bore every few shots and you can shoot all day.

With muzzle loading shotguns we kept our felt/fiber wads in a jar of solvent and squeezed out the excess when loading (don't leave them loaded for long). Our saying was, "when the next one you loads, the last one you cleans"..not original as Harry Pope said that around 1900, but true.

4. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

I worked for Steve Barnett's Fine Guns for a while and we loaded a 8ga Army & Navy double with #4 shot and 4 dram evualivent ffg black and circle fly wads in brass casing and took a turkey at 42 steps. It was a HOOT! The gun had 39" barrels and .039 choke in each barrel and shot very good patterns. At 15lbs it had very little recoil. I would love to shoot a goose with it but that is illegal now.

5. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

In my youth 30 years ago, I did use plastic wads and boyo you are right, it makes one heck of a mess. Now I actually use the same components used in the original hulls except I use the plastic hull. I have paper hulls but they are good for maybe two loads and then they burn through...some pin hole on the first load. At any rate, the wads etc. help to open the patterns, something very useful at the skeet range where my mod/full gun is a bit too tight.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.