1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Black powder bore cleaner

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by wayneo, Jun 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

I was wondering if anybody uses a black powder bore cleaner for their shotguns.

I see that products like CVA Bore Blaster, TC black powder cleaner, Hoppe's #9 black powder cleaner, are all at least half price of regular gun cleaners. I don't see any advantage of using products with ammonia in it since I'm not shooting any shot shells with copper.

Just thinking if this stuff would work on smokeless powder residue, and plastic build-up. Thanks for any info, Wayne

2. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

BP bore cleaner is mostly water with a soap added. It's not going to cut plastic build up much if at all. I'm sure it will handle soot and powder fouling just fine but then you will have to use something else for the plastic. So, why bother? I use Ed's Red homemade bore cleaner on all of my guns except the BP guns. Google Ed's Red and you'll get the recipe. I made a gallon of it three years ago and I still have some left.

3. PARebel

PARebel Member

Wayne, Try some Ballistol, I've been using it in my shop for over 15 years, I'ts the only product I use for black or smokeless. Many other uses too. Lawson Rupert, Rupert's Custom Reloading.

4. wm rike

wm rike Member

Warm water until the patches come out clean, then alcohol or WD40 to draw any remaining moisture from the bores. Finish off with your oil of choice. Plastic wads in a black powder gun is a bad idea. If you want the authenticity of black powder, skip the plastic and just use fiber wads.

5. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Black powder fouling is water soluble. Never....never use plastic wads in black powder guns. That said, there is no reason to use anything other than hot water with a little soap in it to clean black powder, followed with dry patches, a squirt of wd40 to take out remaining water, then oil.

We used to make our own black powder cleaner with sixteen ounces of water, an ounce of peroxide, an ounce of Lestoil and an ounce of water soluble oil (water pump lube). Also used it on the fiber wads when loading...as an old German said, "Ven de nexdt vun you loads, de last vun you cleans".

If you are wondering about using black powder solvent on modern guns, that is also wrong as it is mostly water and soap. Use a "nitro" powder solvent. I particularly like a mixture of 1/3 Kroil and 2/3 Shooters Choice Bore cleaner. Cuts through about everything. Clean your modern trap gun the old way and then try a patch with this mixture on it, brush a half hour later and see what crap comes out.

6. Hivoltfl

Hivoltfl Member

Go to the auto parts store and buy a gallon of winshield washer fluid, works the same as the high priced T/C bore cleaner, I use it in a spray bottle to wet a patch with between shots, one whole gallon for less than 6 ounces of the other kind.

Rick

7. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

Now Wayne never said he was using plastic wads in his BP shotgun. So many jump to conclusions.....

Anyway, Wayne, one of the best and cheapest BP bore cleaners is a 50/50 mix of water and Prestone anti-freeze. It really cuts through BP residue and it has a water soluble anti-corrosive built in. Two gallons of the stuff can be made for under $5.00 if you shop on sale.

Balistol and water is good too. Mix 10% Balistol to 90% water and you have another good BP cleaner.

Then there's Murphy's Oil soap and tap water..another super cheap and very effective BP solvent.

I'd stay away from anything that had hydrogen peroxide. That s@#* creates rust like nobody's business. Yea, yea, I hear all of the voices right now clamoring that it's never hurt their gun yada yada yada. I have no doubt that's true but......I'm not going to take the chance with my gun considering how well the above mentioned cleaners work.

The truth is, you really weren't even asking about cleaning BP guns were you? Your focus was mainly on using BP cleaner on smokeless guns because of the cost factor. i think we all pretty much answered that one. Take care and good shooting.

8. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

omgb and PArebel, thanks for reading my intentions correctly.

Thanks to all who helped out. I will order some Ballistol.

I don't want any solvents with ammonia. Thanks again Wayne

9. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

I was going to ask [thought you was cleaning a shotgun and wanted to know] anyway try Simple Green. It does good on the plactic in the choke. I clean all guns with it and a water hose. Will not hurt stock and cleans all the crud . blow dry or very hot water and air dry

10. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

Wayneo,

Your post referred to using BP solvents for shotgun cleaning so I will address that question.

Most smokeless powder residue is easily removed with many different petroleum based solvents. Real BP, not BP substitute, residue is better attacked with water based solvents. The toughest issue in shotgun barrel cleaning is the plastic remaining from the wads in the forcing cone and choke. There is a product that is formulated for lead removal that is very effective in attacking the plastic but, while it is good, it is not cost effective for my use.

I find that using aerosol brake cleaner (with the stocks in a remote location) and a wire brush on a hand drill is the fastest and cheapest method of removing the plastic from my chokes and barrel. I do it outside in work clothes cause it can be a bit messy, but I am not a patient man. Follow-up with bore snakes and Break-Free and the barrel is ready for another 300 rounds.

HBT

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

black powder bore cleaner

black powder range cleaner
black powder shotgun forum
black powder solent trap
diy bore cleaner and patch lube for black powder
homemade bore cleaner for blackpowder guns
removing blackpowder from guns
sure fire blackpowder homemade solvent