1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Black Oxide vs. Blueing

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by John Thompson, Oct 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

I am interested in anyone's experience with Black Oxide finishing of a shotgun. I have blued mine every few years and wear becomes apparent in3-6 months on the receiver. Who do you know that performs the treatment? Thanks for any info.

2. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Black oxiding and bluing (as found on factory guns), is one in the same.

Doug

3. JTEA

JTEA Member

I work with coloring metals in tangent applications. In my experience in bluing gun parts I can offer a few observations. Surface prep. and cleaning are very important. Get some 0000 or 000 steel wool and clean with alcohol after rub downs. Wash with clean water.

The Oxide builds up to saturation, regardless of further applications. You must go back to the steel wool cleaning to get a deeper reaction - with cleaning. I also know that heat helps in process and I believe professional bluing set-ups use heated tanks of bluing liquid. Make sure you oil thoroughly when finished.

I did a couple barrels by hand wiping with the parts heated prior to application - industrial blow dryer. It goes on strong and fast. Do a couple coats with the steel wool cleaning in between to get it even. I used a 1/2" wooden dowel with small eye bolts in it to suspend the barrel and spin it around. Minimal touching by your hands. May not be the best work without a tank, but a definite improvement.

Good luck and enjoy the learning process, you will have a greater appreciation of the work done by Professional Gunsmiths

jt

4. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

Ernest Marlette does the nicest hot salts bluing I have ever seen. Some may have seen the pics of my SX-1 Ken Hurst engraved project gun. Well, Ernest did the polishing and bluing and he's top of the line. There are not a lot of people I trust to polish a gun, most are ham fisted and will round off almost anything (just look at refinished Mod 21's to see some rotten polish work), but Ernest I would trust with any gun.

Ernest Marlettein Winston-Salem, NC: (336) 456-1818

5. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I have had a set of OU barrels redone and polished, ready for finish but left "in the white" by Giacomo. I decided not to blue it but to have it coated with CeraKote. I've asked before but I'd like to hear your opinions about some of these "high tech" coatings that are used on a lot of military weaponry these days.

I'm looking for durability over time with less emphasis on esthetics.

6. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Dissolve a can of cheap crystal drain opener in water and heat it to about 225F and you will have a good batch of bluing salts. The longer you leave it in the darker it gets, may have to get a little hotter with some metals but no more than 290F. Do this outside or with good ventilation and proper protective clothing.

7. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

SliverBullet...never heard of what you wrote...this would be awesome if you documented with some step by step photos of,...could you do that with a small part or two...it would make a great reference post for DIY guys

8. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Barry,

With any of the coatings available on the market, the bbls will need to be bead-blasted for proper adhesion(?) to the metal. A polished surface just doesn't allow the coating to "grip".

As for the composition and applying of the different coatings, most all of the applicators apply it the same way....as a powder-coating. To say the material has teflon or ceramic, in either case, it's at the absolute minimum. The law allows them to highlight an additive in the mix if the addititve is 1/10 of 1%.

I have asked several different coating companies the precentages of their highlighted additive, and all of them have said it is a proprietary secret.

As for drain cleaner..??? I have no idea. I do know that black oxide salts(bluing salts) are highly caustic, running near 12 on the ph scale. This is caustic enough to eat up the soft lead/tin solder on most S/S and O/U bbls, and also eat a hole through any part of your body.

I believe my previous post above, about black oxide and bluing, got confused with hot factory type bluing(black oxide) and cold bluing from a bottle.

Doug

9. sliverbulletexpress

I did a little search and found all the info on the website above about using drain cleaner to blue with. No need for me to try and type something out. Here's the url if it was too long to fit the box. It really does work!!

http://www.homegunsmith.com/cgi-bin/ib3/ikonboard.cgi?s=7a0c92cf0caa2dbdef6129f828740bb8;act=ST;f=22;t=24170

10. sliverbulletexpress

Bluing salts are very caustic.

11. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

BigDon can be caustic.

(just kidding...)

12. KRK32

KRK32 Member

Sounds like were on our way to a good Meth lab.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
black oxide bluing salts
black oxide vs

black oxide vs bluing

black vs blue gun
bluing vs black oxide
difference betwen gun blue and black oxide
gun bluing or black oxide
is black oxide like blueing