1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Black out lenses?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by HSLDS, Jun 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Why not remove the one lens from the frames, spray paint the back side black, and then re-install them??

Costs a lot less than specialty lenses...

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

Bob- How about a black magic marker?

Pat Ireland

3. buckwheat

buckwheat TS Member

You might want to check with an eye doctor, but I think totally blacking out one lense will take away your depth perception. Have you tried tape or a Magic Dot?

4. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

I cannot see where painting one lens black would be any different than shooting one eyed. Seems almost like an oxymoron. Hmmm, did I spell that right? Where did my spell checker go? Oh well, guess I'll be hearing from the spell checkers soon enough.

5. ddrsuz

ddrsuz Member

while I always suggest chapstick on the blocked lens, there are those in our club that have ordered DECOT with a sandblasted lens. That looks a little more normal. You could also rough up the offside lens with a little sandpaper.
    d

6. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Try plain old Scotch tape (not the clear stuff though, the "frosted" looking stuff.) Just enough so her dominant eye can't see the barrel.

Doesn't look as odd as duct tape.

I see lots of people doing this.

After all, if it works, who gives a rip how it looks?

7. primed

primed Well-Known Member

I don't suggest blacking one lense out completely. If you decide to try it use the dry erase marker as you MIGHT be able to remove it if you change your (her) mind.

Bob

8. bill1949

bill1949 Well-Known Member

You can get a clip-on occluder to cover one lense. I have seen them in black and white. I believe they are mainly for pistol shooters, don't see why they wouldn't work for your wife. When not needed they are easily removed or can be flipped up. Try Champion's Choice web site, I think thats where I saw them...Bill

9. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

straighshooter1, if your wife thinks that duct tape is obtrusive then how is the black lense going to look anymore "Vogue"?LOL Why not use the frosted tape on the inside of the lense? It will look more fashionable..

10. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

If her stock fits and she looks at the targets not the gun she can shoot with both eyes open no dots or tape. Start with an eye exam I recomend Dr Rively.
    Next look at the gunfit. Then learn how to properly use your eyes.
    Joe goldberg

11. zinger

zinger Member

Bob, tell her to learn to shoot with the scotch tape. I started shooting with one eye closed and after 3 or 4 yrs Dennis DeVault told me to learn to shoot with both eyes open with the tape. It was difficult at first, but once you get used to it and learn, it opens up a new view to shooting. I'm left eyed dominent and shoot right handed.

12. Phil Kiner

Phil Kiner Well-Known Member

Straight-- send me at email with your phone number and I will give you a call and discuss in detail. pkinerATphilkinerDOTCOM

I can give you some insight into what I have found that works and what doesn't.

Phil Kiner

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

eyeglasses with one lens blacked out